Low Carb Diet ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ann peterson

Assistant Cook
Here at work we're all on low carb diets. Anyone have any good reciepes for low carb diets?

A Peterson

Last edited by a moderator:
SO is low carbing again. I hate it but get dragged in as I don't want to cook two different meals every night. I know I could cook a carb for myself but that just tortures my sweetheart.

I generally combine a meat and different low or lower carb veggies. I try to use different flavors to provide variety. I stir-fry with asparagus (cheap this time of year) spinach, mushrooms, etc. I can flavor with taco seasoning, Italian seasonings, Asian flavors, etc.

We also use Dreamfields low carb pastas on occasion. SO uses low carb pitas and Glucerna breakfast cereal.

I also cook a couple of pounds of bacon at one time and freeze it. That way she can pull out a couple of strips to make a meal whenever. It's also there for me.

When I go on a lo carb diet,it is usually to try to lose a few pounds only. I just cut out the "white stuff" for awhile and then try to remember to use portion control. That is really key on any diet. I had a friend who thought she could eat all the fat she wanted, i.e. a pound of bacon at a time. Not healthy at all, not to mention crazy.I have never gone full Adkins or any other and still lose the weight I want to.

Also, don't forget exercise. It is also key to any weight loss program.

Lindalou beat me to it... :LOL:

She's right, particularly about cutting out most (but not all) of the "white stuff" - flour, rice, sugar, milk, fat, shortening...

And for those with weak will power (myself included at times :rolleyes:),
"No white at night!" is easier, meaning none of the "white stuff" after 4:00 p.m. until the next morning. I don't claim to know the details, but a nurse told me it has something to do with digesting carbs differently as we sleep. :sleep:

Such good information so early in the morning. I need to lose a few pounds so will try this. Thanks for posting.

I would suggest incorporating as much beans, lentils and peas as possible in your diet too. You can use quinoa in salads, which is full of protein and really versatile. For snacking, hummus and carrots is a great combination.

Low Carb Meals Plan for 7 Days

The following sample of low carb diet menus are examples of what you can eat for 7 days while on low carb diet. You can repeat for two weeks or more to kick off your induction phase. The low carb meals plan aims to keep the intake of carb to 20 grams or less per day to get your body into Ketosis, while having a large variety of nutritious, nutrient-dense, foods.
hash.jpg
Monday

• Breakfast
    Two egg omelet with sausage and roasted red peppers
  • Lunch
    Reuben sandwich (corned beef, Swiss cheese and sauerkraut) on one slice low carb bread
    Green salad with low carb dressing
  • Dinner
    Grilled chicken breast
    Steamed asparagus and yellow squash
    Mixed salad with vinaigrette or low carb dressing
  • Snack
    Celery sticks with low carb dip
Tuesday

• Breakfast
    Two poached eggs with smoked salmon in cream dill sauce, and half small tomato
  • Lunch
    Grilled beef patty
    Steamed broccoli and cauliflower
    Mixed green salad with olive oil & balsamic vinaigrette
    salmon.jpg
  • Dinner
    Roast chicken with herbs
    Broccoli with parmesan curls
    Endive and radish salad with vinaigrette
  • Snack
    Red pepper sticks with low carb dip
Wednesday

• Breakfast
    One low carb muffin and one hard-boiled egg
  • Lunch
    Cobb salad (avocado, tomato, chicken, hard-boiled egg, blue cheese and bacon over lettuce) with olive and balsamic vinaigrette
  • Dinner
    Salmon with Steel’s Wasabi Teriyaki sauce
    Steamed green beans with sesame oil
    Cabbage slaw with low carb Cole Slaw dressing
  • Snack
    Olives and Cheddar cubes
Thursday

• Breakfast
    Two scrambled eggs with two slices of bacon and one slice of low carb bread
  • Lunch
    Shrimp salad over lettuce and tomato slices with low carb dressing
  • Dinner
    Broiled lamb chops
    Swiss chard with garlic and olive oil
    Mixed green salad with olive oil and balsamic vinaigrette
  • Snack
    Atkins Advantage shake
Friday

• Breakfast
    Two low carb pancakes with low carb syrup and three turkey sausages
  • Lunch
    Large tossed salad with tuna, tomatoes and low carb dressing
  • Dinner
    Roasted pork tenderloin
    chick_salad.jpg

Sautéed spinach and red peppers
  • Snack
    Stallone high protein low carb pudding
Saturday

• Breakfast
    One low carb muffin and two slices of Cheddar cheese
  • Lunch
    Steak and pepper fajitas on low carb tortilla
    Romaine and avocado salad with Olivado Avocado oil and lemon
  • Dinner
    Grilled tuna with spice rub
    Zucchini and mushrooms skewers
  • Snack
    Atkins Advantage bar
Sunday

• Breakfast
    Poached egg on one slice low carb bread, two tomato slices and two slices Cheddar cheese
  • Lunch
    Chef Salad (roast turkey, cheese, red onion and sliced tomatoes over romaine) with olive and balsamic vinaigrette
  • Dinner
    Turkey meatloaf
    Green bean, snow pea and pepper medley
  • Snack
    Olives and Cheddar cubes

I would suggest incorporating as much beans, lentils and peas as possible in your diet too. You can use quinoa in salads, which is full of protein and really versatile. For snacking, hummus and carrots is a great combination.

Beans, lentils and peas are very high in carbs. Those must be avoided.

Also, as much as I love bacon and high fat protien, it should be eaten with caution. I've been on a low carb diet for three months and have lost 30 lbs and 13 inches over all. I've also been taking Green Tea tablets and have noticed I've yet to hit the dreaded plateau of weight loss I've always encountered in the past.
Maybe there really is something about the Green Tea being a boost to metabulism ?

If you are going to eat low carb, I would recommend informing yourself about the Glycemic Index. This is an excellent resource and has lists for you of low GI foods. It also has a specific carb list.

And here is a site that has lists of low carb foods and a menu plan. Just scroll on through.

Been thinking about doing a diet plan as well... those recipes are indeed very helpful! :)

I had a friend who thought she could eat all the fat she wanted, i.e. a pound of bacon at a time. Not healthy at all, not to mention crazy.I have never gone full Adkins or any other and still lose the weight I want to.[ QUOTE]

Actually, it's a misconception that the Atkins Diet allows you to eat "a pound of bacon at a time", although the original & earlier editions did allow for more fats than are generally considered healthy. The current program, via the book Atkins for Life (definitely a worthwhile read!), is extremely healthy, varied, & you DO lose weight on it without feeling deprived or having to struggle to cook/comply with it. Both hubby & I (hubby in particular) lost quite a bit of weight utilizing it.

Back
Top Bottom