Lunar Eclipse Dinner - 2/10/2017

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've gotten a big bunch of upper level cloud cover this afternoon, so I'm thinkin' we won't be able to see anything at all tonight, boo hiss! :chris:

As to our supper, I've got some Sweet Italian Sausage I think I'll roast along with some Sweet Red Bell Peppers and Onions, tossed in Olive Oil and loads of garlic. Serve everything over some sort of pasta... ooh! I know, I still have some homemade Cheese Raviolis in the deep freeze... there ya go!

Clear skies here, we'll see what we can see this evening.

Before that I'm going to turn out a small pan of chicken enchiladas with canned red sauce and refried beans.

Clear here, too. All my information says the full moon isn't until tomorrow night but I could be wrong. Regardless, for dinner tonight...

We're having something called Pork Chops California, which is a recipe I've had since my children were toddlers. Pork chops browned, topped with sliced fresh lemons, then braised in a mixture of water, catsup and brown sugar. Sounds weird but soooo good.

Sides will include mac and cheese and steamed and buttered Italian green beans. Iced tea to wash it down and a couple of Kroger chocolate chunk cookies.

Roasted Cornish Hens, roasted potatoes and cauliflower, plus roasted onions and carrots, with a pan sauce. This Karen's plate, she skipped the onions.

36788-albums309-picture6861.jpg

I seasoned a London Broil roast (cut against the grain) with some salt/pepper and then seared both pieces on all 4 sides in the cast iron skillet with some olive oil. Then I took a knife and make some pockets for garlic. Then I finished it off in the crockpot for 8 hours with some carrots, peppercinis, butter, and seasonings. Served with mashed potatoes and some gravy.

Katie, I also have been doing those California pork chops as long as I can remember.
I've always just topped each chop with a thin slice of onion, 1 tbs. brown sugar, 1 tbs catsup and a thin slice of lemon. Bake. Yumm.

Tonight we're having a chicken thighs casserole with frozen artichoke hearts, fresh asparagus in a creamy wine blue cheese sauce.
Woo Hoo.....the asparagus was 1.49 lb !!

Hmmm, I don't think I've heard of those CA pork chops, but they sure sound worth a try! :yum:

I went out to a late lunch today at my fave little mom and pop place for fish, chips, and cole slaw. They serve rather large portions and I couldn't finish it all, so I brought it home and nibbled on the rest this evening.

The lunar eclipse was pretty wimpy from here.

Dinner was a quick version of a chicken po-boy. I took some frozen breaded chicken tenders, warmed them in the microwave, and deep fried them for some crispiness. I slathered a roll with mayo, tabasco and dill pickle relish for a makeshift "remoulade," and put it all together.

It was actually pretty good. Better than the eclipse, for sure.

CD

Last edited:
The moon was a tiny dot, but the clouds were cool. They had the wavy, marcel curling iron look.

We're still eating leftovers here.

The moon was a tiny dot, but the clouds were cool. They had the wavy, marcel curling iron look.

We're still eating leftovers here.

Hmmmm, the moon was very large in the sky at the time of the eclipse. All it did during the eclipse was get dimmer, which was expected for this one, especially where I am.

CD

No eclipse viewing here due to clouds. Every time Himself came in from the porch he was sighing deeply. ~ Watching an eclipse online is a bit like watching fireworks on TV - ho-hum. :LOL: They are pretty cool to view live.

We had a little south for our mouths today. I made oven BBQ ribs (turned out soo tender :yum: ), collard greens, my last little casserole of mac-and-cheese from a larger batch a few months back, canned baked beans, and cute little cornbreads from the grocery store. I chased mine down with a cold Great Lakes Brewing Company Christmas ale.

Attachments

• 2017-02-10 22.38.25.jpg
    2017-02-10 22.38.25.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 175
No eclipse viewing here due to clouds. Every time Himself came in from the porch he was sighing deeply. ~ Watching an eclipse online is a bit like watching fireworks on TV - ho-hum. [emoji38] They are pretty cool to view live.

We had a little south for our mouths today. I made oven BBQ ribs (turned out soo tender :yum: ), collard greens, my last little casserole of mac-and-cheese from a larger batch a few months back, canned baked beans, and cute little cornbreads from the grocery store. I chased mine down with a cold Great Lakes Brewing Company Christmas ale.

That looks *really* yummy - minus the collards ;)

I winged a new recipe last night - roasted sliced potatoes with seasoned red snapper on top for the last 10 minutes and sautéed onion, red bell pepper and summer squash. Tasty.

Wow, great looking and sounding dinners here last night! :yum:

I kept going out to look at the moon - too cloudy so I didn't get a good view of it. It was pretty cool seeing it appear and disappear quickly between the cloud cover though, and looked pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom