Lunch Challenged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
I need some ideas on quick lunches. Hubby has a weird schedule this week. Up @4am all week.

The rules are. He's given a 10 minute break some days maybe a little longer.

No microwave or utensils,can be used.
It has to be portable. Able to hold up. Quick and easy.

I sent the poor guy out with Tuna and tomato sammiches today, and a small container of bacon, and coffee. Lots of water bottles. Those sammiches are probably going to be soggy by the time he gets a break. He insisted that I make them, because he won't have the time to put it together himself.

I'm out of ideas besides boiled and peeled eggs, bacon, maybe mini coffee cakes, ( Breville time! )
It's going to be a long week...

Thank you

Munky.

I pack Kathleen lunches often and since she doesn't have a lot of time to eat it can be tricky to feed her well.

I do make her sandwiches quite a bit, whatever she would like on them and I stick the tomatoes in a separate baggie so they don't ruin the cheese or make things soggy.

She does have refrigeration and a microwave so I am not as limited in what I send.

Good luck, if it is only a week I suspect you will be ok. :)

Tortilla rolls? Pitas? I find you can put all the liquidy stuff (tomatoes, lettuce etc) in a baggie, then put the meat and other stuff actually IN the pita. Dump the baggie into pita and munch. All kinds of fillings work this way. Is that too much time lost for him?

Mini bagel pizzas are good cold.
Pepperoni sticks, cheese sticks and crackers.
Salad rolls.

Make the tuna on toast, takes a bit longer for it to sog up the bread. Or tuna with crackers. Perfect chance to send him some pie-sized calzones and marinara dipping sauce. Anything that would taste good being cold. Teriyaki chicken chunks are good cold, with some rice.

You guys are great. Thank you for the ideas. :chef:
I can cut up some veggie sticks, pack them into ziploc bags make some ranch dressing. It can be put into small spice containers to make them easier to dip.

I have a 3 boned Prime Rib Roast in the freezer. Can that be cooked to rare or medium then sliced up thin, fat removed for the Pita's, Tortillas? Calzone's maybe? I think he would have time to open a bag and dump in all the goods..

Thinking Fajita's with some Spanish rice in it would work well. Fried Chicken has crossed my mind. Have an extra thermos. Miso soup! Thank you Rock :)
It was storming out this morning.

Munky.

Hey! I was gonna say that. Ok, so, pasties, but with a little divider of dough in the pastie, with meat, potato, rutabegga, onion, salt & pepper on one side, and blueberry pie filling on the other. I made this and it turned out wonderful.:yum:

For pasties, make a 123 pastry dough, rollout, and cut it into a ten inch round. Peel and dice rutagga and potatoes and saute in butter until almost tender. Add chopped onion and season with salt, pepper, and a little garlic. Brown ground beef and add to the veggies. Roll a snake of the remaining pastry dough and place accross teh pastry round to act as a divider. Place a half-cup of this mixture onto one side of the pastry, on the larger side of the divider. Place blueberry or other pie filling on the other side of the divider. Fold the round over top of the fillings and roll the edges back toward teh center to make a half-circle. Brush with egg-wash. Bake at 370' F. for 40 minutes. Remove and put in the fridge. Wrap in plastic wrap when cold.

This is what miners used to eat. The dough "handle" gave them something to hang onto with dirty hands so that the main pasty remained clean. The crust handle was then discarded.

It's good food cold. It's better food hot, with gravy over top.

I would think you coulod go non-traditional, and put pulled pork in it, or anything you wanted.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

4am!! I'd be sending some hard boiled eggs and a piece of bacon for breakfast. Or a scotch egg for a surprise with a little hot mustard dipping sauce. Or scrambled eggs on toast with any way that varies from the McMuffin.

My favorite lunch was Tuna sandwiches! I could eat those everyday.

Pulled Pork or pulled roast beef with a little bbq sauce in a tortilla makes a nice burrito, put in a little coleslaw well drained. and can be eaten cold.

Surprise him with A Hershey's Kiss

I would definitely suggest getting a vacuum bottle and sending soup with him. It would be a nice change from cold food since there is no micro. The food will stay warm for a good 6 hours if the bottle is properly prepped with hot water.

The fried chicken is a good idea! I would make it up as fried chicken "fingers" so when it is gone, it is gone.

Also if you do have a wide mouth thermos bottle a couple of hotdogs in boiling water will stay warm. Pack a couple of buns and some fixings on the side.

Finally when you do some of these experiments make two lunches and have one yourself as a sort of reality check to see if the new ideas are helping or hurting! I think this is especially important when you are dealing with people who tend to suffer in silence!

Last edited:
One day down. 4 to go.. After yesterday it's going to be a relief to get this week over and done with.

He only had time to eat a half a sammich. They ran him and everyone else all over the place. He actually had 10 minutes, ate while driving. No time for coffee.

He got home, just sat down to relax. Our sons tells us " Bye off to class" I asked him if he would mind stopping and picking up my prescriptions before class? " Sure Mom no problem" My car refused to turn over. Hubby got up gave it a jump, ran it for a while. Thought it would be ok. Our son calls from the parking lot she won't turn over. It's now at the Mechanics. If he's done anything to my hot rod Lincoln, he's going to be driving a 77 Ford Pinto! :ohmy: We'll be finding out soon enough..

I spent the whole day making, prepping, experimenting with different ideas. Didn't get out of the kitchen until almost 8pm.

Prime Rib sammiches are out. He wants that for dinner on his next day off.

Fried up some chickens ( might have well get our dinner made while I was at it) I was going to send him chicken breast strips. Even made a Balsamic vinegar sauce to dip them in. He ate them all last night. :LOL:

Did you know you can make Cheese Burgers in a Pie Maker? More on that in the Pie Cave.. I have custody this week over the Mother ship. Figures when it needs a good wash.:ROFLMAO:

All he wants is Tuna. Fine already. Today is the last day for that. Tomorrow he's getting Hot Dogs, and he will like it,no more tuna.:glare:
Thank you for the idea Bea.

Munky.

Did you know you can make Cheese Burgers in a Pie Maker? More on that in the Pie Cave.. I have custody this week over the Mother ship. Figures when it needs a good wash.:ROFLMAO:

Munky.

I swear, the MS was clean when I sent it back...must have been the trip over Nevada...

I swear, the MS was clean when I sent it back...must have been the trip over Nevada...

Ahh, the outside wasn't too bad. What's a little space dust compared to the flour Tim tracked in? :LOL:

I survived the week. Gave up the ghost of trying to feed him well for lunch this week. He just didn't have the time to eat right. He appreciated that I did try.

My son won't be driving a Pinto.. SHOOT!!!! my car is ok, 2 days in the shop with a good going over by the Mechanic came down to she hadn't been driven enough in 3 weeks. And the fact that the headlights weren't shut off didn't help the battery any.

A weeks vacation starts today... Yessss!!

Ahh, the outside wasn't too bad. What's a little space dust compared to the flour Tim tracked in? :LOL:

I survived the week. Gave up the ghost of trying to feed him well for lunch this week. He just didn't have the time to eat right. He appreciated that I did try.

My son won't be driving a Pinto.. SHOOT!!!! my car is ok, 2 days in the shop with a good going over by the Mechanic came down to she hadn't been driven enough in 3 weeks. And the fact that the headlights weren't shut off didn't help the battery any.

A weeks vacation starts today... Yessss!!
Silly me, I thought your son was going to be RIDING a PINTO. Will the Roomba fit in the mothership? I don't want to have to vacuum it. I thought it came with those paper booties one wears into a surgical suite, etc...

Back
Top Bottom