Lunch for slightly more than a friend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KatyCooks

Head Chef
Is there a word for a grown up potential boyfriend? Manfriend sounds weird...

Anyway, this is not entirely off-topic because it is food related - what lunch do I make for a friend who is more than just an acquaintance and currently less than a romantic person in my life?

So far, I am thinking soup.

But that seems a bit pathetic. (even with croutons!) LOL

This guy likes hearty portions (which I am not used to). He eats most things and doesn't have any allergies.

It's lunch. And would be followed by a walk. (I haven't invited him by the way, but I think he would say yes if I asked him.)

I thought of soup and a sandwich Taxy, but even that sounds less than what I want.

It's a tricky situation! I'm not wanting to encourage him, but not wanting to put him off either. (I have been on my own for a VERY long time and finding myself very conflicted with this).

Food is very important to me. So I guess I want lunch to give the right sort of message to him. (Not too much, not too little.)

Not very helpful is it? He is a lovely guy though, and he appreciates good food.

What about the sandwich being something interesting, like maybe a quesadilla? Or maybe just a sandwihch like a submarine / hoagie with a bunch of yummy stuff on it. Or a meal salad. Do you want it to be some sort of standard, local food? Or maybe something you figure he hasn't tried before?

Oh, I think he would like a Quesadilla! (And so would I.) That's a great suggestion! (As a Brit, it would never occur to me to call a Quesadilla a sandwich, but of course it is!)

Taxy, you have solved my problem! A Quesadilla is the perfect message - in food terms - that I want to give. Thank you. <3

If you are definitely going for a walk, maybe have a light soup first, then go for the walk, then have the sandwich/quesadilla? Don't want to have too much before a walk!

Oo, pepper, I like that idea of separating the courses with a walk. Maybe soup or salad first, then dessert after.:brows: JUST KIDDING, @KatyCooks.

1) Is there a word for a grown up potential boyfriend? Manfriend sounds weird...

2) It's lunch. And would be followed by a walk. (I haven't invited him by the way, but I think he would say yes if I asked him.)
1) Perhaps "gentleman friend"? Sounds rather proper. Unless he's more of a rough and tumble sort of guy. In that case I would not suggest macho man.

2) I don't make them often, but Himself is a big fan of Crouque Monsieur. Most of the time is in the prep work, which can be done ahead of time.

Taxlady beat me to the punch! We will sometimes buy a rotisserie chicken for quesadillas. Some guacamole, sour cream and salsa would be appropriate condiments.

Katy, I like "gentleman friend". I think it's perfect.

and I like the rotisserie quesadillas. But I would not split the soup 'n sandwich. Actually don't think soup is really necessary with a quesadilla.
Have your lunch.
Walk.
Then back for some tea and a custard? fruit flan? Something you can have a small piece of or two pieces.?

Make a fancy sandwich like sauteed criminis, fontina or a truffled cheese, prosciutto, good bread, grilled. Or an open faced sandwich like a Hot Brown . Or, some good ham, like a tavern ham, with a different cheese like butterkase, sp?. My DH and DD, and anybody else that has had them love my "mom's sandwiches," country style bread, corned beef, turkey, thinly sliced deli pickles and tomatoes, muenster cheese, 1000 Island dressing, dipped in light egg wash, grilled, then finished in oven. They were a come up with something in the refrigerator for dinner invention. A Cuban sandwich, roasted or braised Cuban type pork, ham, thinly sliced deli pickle Swiss cheese, mayo and yellow mustard on Cuban bread (a crispy, thin crust, light, holey loaf), gently smashed down after making, melted butter brushed on top and bottom, placed on sheet pan between layers of foil, weighed down with a heavy pot or lid, then baked at 375 F for 20 to 30 minutes. All the above can be made ahead, then finished in oven. The Hot Brown, mom's sandwiches, and the Cuban sandwiches all make great leftovers too, just reheat in oven.

DH loves the Croque Monsieur and Madame as well, as do I.

Quesadillas are great, but just remember if you grill them you are going to be stuck at the stove. You can cook them in the oven, but personally I don't think they are as good because they don't get as crispy as when cooked on stovetop. Same thing if you cook on stovetop and then hold in oven. We usually make a couple of kinds, one with pork or chicken and onions, some kind of pepper, either red bell or poblano, and muenster cheese. The other one is corn and fontinella cheese, which is my favorite.

Last edited:
Ohh, you could also do a taco like a copycat recipe I came up with, Mexican meatball tacos from Johnny Sanchez in NOLA. It's all made ahead and assembled at table, and we loved it. I'll post the recipe here if it's wanted.

2018-08-25 18.59.26.jpg

Medtran's Cuban sandwich idea reminded me of this sandwich I had at now-closed restaurant that I loved for the chef's creativity. This is roast pork with cheddar cheese and raspberry jam on a baguette with red-skin potato salad and fresh fruit. So good.
FB_IMG_1650209849667.jpg

It depends on how much work you want to do. Easy does it would be a BLT with thick sliced bread and thick sliced bacon. Add French fries or potato chips to balance it out, or maybe a fruit salad. If I want to go the more impressive route I'd go with my all time favorite; the Monte Cristo, with thick sliced bread, or make it a club with regular sliced bread (slice of bread, ham and Swiss, slice of bread turkey and Swiss, third slice of bread. Add strawberry or raspberry preserves and a mixed berry salad with creme fresh.

Since you now have your lunch idea I would like to speak on this from a mans point of view.
First, I hope all works well for you. Second, you are interested otherwise you would not be having him for lunch. So if I am correct and he is also interested it should be clear sailing for you.
I would be happy for a nice lady to invite me for lunch. Sometimes we do like some encouragement. In many instances possible relationships may not happen without one person making it known they are interested.
Encouragement does help us guys. Sometimes we need a kick in the tail to see what is right in front of us. So since you are interested, make it known.
Lastly. I wish you the very best and I hope this lunch date can be a springboard for the future.
If it is a future you are looking for.

I thought of soup and a sandwich Taxy, but even that sounds less than what I want.

It's a tricky situation! I'm not wanting to encourage him, but not wanting to put him off either. (I have been on my own for a VERY long time and finding myself very conflicted with this).

Food is very important to me. So I guess I want lunch to give the right sort of message to him. (Not too much, not too little.)

Not very helpful is it? He is a lovely guy though, and he appreciates good food.
I can't suggest a specific dish but I can suggest a sp[ecific APPROACH or STRATEGY. As follows: If you know what he likes, make an advanced version of it. But don't go overboard. No caviar. Just a better version. (And not something he's known to make himself.) Alternatively, make something that takes him a little out of his well-trodden ways. Either will show that you have thought carefully and want to please him. The dish then can become the center of the conversation, and you can explore one another indirectly, as it were. If you overdo, you'll be blatant and he'll be embarrassed. If you underdo, you'll be embarrassed and he'll wonder why you asked him. Good luck.
Taxlady beat me to the punch! We will sometimes buy a rotisserie chicken for quesadillas. Some guacamole, sour cream and salsa would be appropriate condiments.
The rotisserie chicken--preferably from Costco--is a great idea because you can do so much with it but with very little effort.

Is there a word for a grown up potential boyfriend? Manfriend sounds weird...

Anyway, this is not entirely off-topic because it is food related - what lunch do I make for a friend who is more than just an acquaintance and currently less than a romantic person in my life?

So far, I am thinking soup.

But that seems a bit pathetic. (even with croutons!) LOL

This guy likes hearty portions (which I am not used to). He eats most things and doesn't have any allergies.

It's lunch. And would be followed by a walk. (I haven't invited him by the way, but I think he would say yes if I asked him.)
Someone suggested 'gentleman friend,' and I think that's pretty good. Certainly better than 'possible hunk daddy.'

I would also look for something easy, not too fancy.
After all, you want to spend time with him, not the kitchen ;)
BLT sounds good, or filled omelette or so
Not too sure about that, Badjak. Look at it this way: maybe not a bad idea to invite the guy into the kitchen and join in making the dish. Since a walk afterward is on the schedule, why not a light pasta dish--quick, easy, provides carbs for energy, and results in co-operative exchanges: Say, do you salt the water before or after it boils? Do you taste as you go al dente or just go with the cooking times o the package? Etc. I hope KatyCooks realizes she has everybody rooting for her and will keep us posted. This is practically a Netflix series already.

Back
Top Bottom