Lyoor as a nice road trip energy food, other ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markuslietz

Assistant Cook
Hey everyone,

in 2 weeks me and my girlfriend we will travel down the east coast in Australia, from Cairns to Melbourne... yayy
We don't want to eat that much junk food but sometimes it is very difficult on long road trips to still eat healthy and get your greens. We just started to drink Lyoor and feel too good and so active every day, it's a green green drink with the benefit of a massive energy boost. Did you guys also tried it? We just thought about taking it with us for our road trip but do you also have another tip for healthy food on longer trips by car?

Best
Markus

I don't know what Lyoor is, but it sounds like an energy drink. If so, be careful how much you consume per day. Very high doses of caffeine can be dangerous. We have a friend who was a truck driver and drank a lot of these every day. He ended up in the hospital with heart damage from it.

Hey GotGarlic and cookiecrafter,

sorry for the confusion, no its not an energy drink, its made out of kale, bussle sprouts, barley grass and some other green nice stuff. Have a look if you like: www.lyoor.com

Do you have some tips for nice healthy meals on road trips?
all the best

Thanks for the clarification.

For road trips, I pack grapes and oranges, and a snack mix with peanuts, cashews, dried cherries and chocolate chips. Sometimes I pack cut cucumbers, carrots, celery and tzatziki. Sometimes a sandwich with grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, Havarti cheese, romaine and tomatoes. It depends on how long the trip will take.

That is one heck of a drive! Get a cooler and keep your foods on ice. You'll have to figure out how far it is between major towns were you can do groceries and ice.

How long do you think it will take you? Are you stopping over for more than one night in places to put in a day of sight-seeing on the way?

Welcome, Markus. We make an annual trip about that long most every late autumn, driving from south central Massachusetts to Fort Myers Beach, FL. We leave daytime temperatures in the 40's, ending up in FL to mid-70 temps three days later. Anything we take in a cooler with ice stays fresh and cool. Since we stay at our FL location for a week, we take some perishable basics with us to use. I repurpose large jugs from juice, fill clean ones about 80%, cap them lightly, and freeze. Just before leaving, we pack a cooler (48 quart) with a couple of ice bottles (be sure to tighten the caps!) and the food.

For snacks, smaller coolers and refreezeable gel packs come in handy. One carries liquid, the other holds fresh fruits and veggies: grapes, grape tomatoes, celery and carrots sticks - even raw mushrooms and Persian cucumbers. I'll also cut some cheese into cubes and toss it into a resealable bag. A sandwich each gets packed, too, with sandwiches for days two and three in the big cooler.

Dry snacks are peanuts, and dried fruit like apricots or apple slices. Also, whatever other nuts and fruits I can combine into a trail mix. Sometimes a day or two before we leave, I'll mix up a bowl of those and pack it into repurposed peanut containers.

Good advice CG.
LOL, was checking the map, there is a Gold Coast and a Sunshine Coast along the way, almost sounds like Florida.
Yeah, I really hope you break that 40 hour+ drive into several days. There must be so much to see along the way.
While driving the Snowbird's cars to Florida, I would drive 13 or 16 hours the first day and 13 or 10 hours the 2nd day. Montreal - Fort Lauderdale (or St Pete's, a little longer). But on the way north (bringing their cars back in the Spring) I would do 10 hours north to a friend's in St Augustine, visit with her overnight, and do the 16 hours home. Actually my drives were a bit longer than the actual driving hours but I took lots of pit stops on the way. Still a long drive but I loved the changes you would see in the countryside on the way. Forsythia, daffodils... argh then sometimes snow!

Thanks for the clarification.

For road trips, I pack grapes and oranges, and a snack mix with peanuts, cashews, dried cherries and chocolate chips. Sometimes I pack cut cucumbers, carrots, celery and tzatziki. Sometimes a sandwich with grilled chicken, roasted red peppers, Havarti cheese, romaine and tomatoes. It depends on how long the trip will take.
Hey GitGarlic, thank you so much! Nice tips and a veeerrrry good idea with packing some tzatziki! Love it! The sandwiches also sound very nice, I will definitely try it out! I am sure my girlfriend will love it!

That is one heck of a drive! Get a cooler and keep your foods on ice. You'll have to figure out how far it is between major towns were you can do groceries and ice.

How long do you think it will take you? Are you stopping over for more than one night in places to put in a day of sight-seeing on the way?
Hey :) oh you are so right, I will definitely do it like that, I guess we need a taller cooler box :D I think we will need 6-8 weeks, but we will take it easy :)

Welcome, Markus. We make an annual trip about that long most every late autumn, driving from south central Massachusetts to Fort Myers Beach, FL. We leave daytime temperatures in the 40's, ending up in FL to mid-70 temps three days later. Anything we take in a cooler with ice stays fresh and cool. Since we stay at our FL location for a week, we take some perishable basics with us to use. I repurpose large jugs from juice, fill clean ones about 80%, cap them lightly, and freeze. Just before leaving, we pack a cooler (48 quart) with a couple of ice bottles (be sure to tighten the caps!) and the food.

For snacks, smaller coolers and refreezeable gel packs come in handy. One carries liquid, the other holds fresh fruits and veggies: grapes, grape tomatoes, celery and carrots sticks - even raw mushrooms and Persian cucumbers. I'll also cut some cheese into cubes and toss it into a resealable bag. A sandwich each gets packed, too, with sandwiches for days two and three in the big cooler.

Dry snacks are peanuts, and dried fruit like apricots or apple slices. Also, whatever other nuts and fruits I can combine into a trail mix. Sometimes a day or two before we leave, I'll mix up a bowl of those and pack it into repurposed peanut containers.
Hey wow, so so good and nice, healthy ideas! Thank you so much! Love the idea with the mixed nut container! Haha yeah right, we will travel down the east coast in Australia :)

Thank you all so much for your nice and healthy food ideas! I will try them all out, also pack my Lyoor and than we will travel down healthy and satisfied wuhuu!

When we do our road trips, we usually take the following. First we cut up all veggies still in tthe fridge that would otherwise rot while were gone ( Cucumber, carrots, celery ...). We cut them up into sticks, and also bring some of this small individual hummus cups. We also take some granola and cups. When we want it, we just fill up a cup, Its easier and less messy to kinda' sip' granola from a cup while driving, than reaching into the bag and having half of it wind up on the floor. We take cans of corn, olives, chickpeas ( with pull tabs so no need for can opener, even though we take one of those also). Various dried fruits, nuts. Fresh apples, as they usually hold up for days in the car ( as long as not leaving them in a very hot car). Peanut butter and something to dip with ( pretzels, crackers). These are just snack things, but if we're doing a real long trip, and know we may be driving through lunch, well bring some bread , or things to make sandwiches with on the go. I've been doing extensive road trips for decades, so we kinda got it down to a science .

Marcuslietz, being from Berlin, don't forget Australia drives on the opposite side of the road!
Best tip I can give you is to make sure the center road painted line is on the driver's side. Makes it easier to remember. THE Driver just looks down, if that line isn't beside him ... GET OVER!
:LOL: :innocent: :ROFLMAO:

Marcuslietz, being from Berlin, don't forget Australia drives on the opposite side of the road!
Best tip I can give you is to make sure the center road painted line is on the driver's side. Makes it easier to remember. THE Driver just looks down, if that line isn't beside him ... GET OVER!
:LOL: :innocent: :ROFLMAO:
That wouldn't have worked in Sweden in the 1960s. Until 1967 they drove on the left side of the road. But, a lot of their cars were left hand drive and so were the cars of many tourists. But, since markuslietz is probably renting or borrowing a local car, it will probably be a right hand drive car. (I checked; it's left hand drive cars for driving on the right and vice versa.)

taxy, too funny, it reminds that... - back in the '50's our family was going on a driving holiday from Germany (our home), thru Denmark, Sweden and into Norway, headed for the Arctic Circle. As we numbered 7 people we went in both our cars. In Denmark, my father went one route while Mom went another. (don't know why). I was with Mom, we took the ferry to Oslo, getting off pretty late, around/after midnight.
No one told my Mom the driving in Sweden was on the other side. After a harrowing drive, in the dark, with lights constantly coming straight towards her, on a busy road from the ferry and with a few words I had never heard from my Mom (and never heard again) she figured it out, and successfully made her way to the hotel. I did not hear the conversation between her and Dad that night but I'll bet it was a doozie!

taxy, too funny, it reminds that... - back in the '50's our family was going on a driving holiday from Germany (our home), thru Denmark, Sweden and iHnto Norway, headed for the Arctic Circle. As we numbered 7 people we went in both our cars. In Denmark, my father went one route while Mom went another. (don't know why). I was with Mom, we took the ferry to Oslo, getting off pretty late, around/after midnight.
No one told my Mom the driving in Sweden was on the other side. After a harrowing drive, in the dark, with lights constantly coming straight towards her, on a busy road from the ferry and with a few words I had never heard from my Mom (and never heard again) she figured it out, and successfully made her way to the hotel. I did not hear the conversation between her and Dad that night but I'll bet it was a doozie!
Hmm, I'm confused. Oslo is in Norway. Why would you drive from Oslo to somewhere in Sweden if you were heading for the Arctic Circle in Norway? There was a ferry from Copenhagen to Malmö, Sweden back in the 1950s (There's a bridge now.) Maybe your dad took the ferry to Oslo, Norway and you and your mum took a ferry to Malmö, Sweden. And, if you were going to be in Sweden anyways, the Arctic Circle crosses Sweden too, so why not visit it there.

ahhh, com'on taxy, give an old lady a break here! I'm sure you've checked all your facts, as no, I didn't. Guess I should never have stated the country.
But it was Oslo - so which ever country that is - and they drove on the left. And I did state it was 1957 or so - and I do know they didn't change over - (either country) until 1967.

But aside from all the piddling facts, the point of the story was...
... getting off a car ferry, very late at night, traveling with a bunch of (probably) cranky kids - to be faced with oncoming traffic lights in a foreign country, and being stunned to find out they drive on the other side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom