Mac & cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What ever I find in the cold cut ends bin when I go shopping. I snatch up at least two pounds of ends each time. It doesn't leave much for the next shopper. Sometimes I get a mixture of Swiss, American Cheddar, Provolone, etc. in just one packet. It could be any type of cheese that can be sliced at the deli counter. And it is a lot cheaper than paying the full price at the deli counter. No matter what kind of cheese is in the packet, it always is priced at just 99 cents a pound. :angel:

I don't think I've ever made it exactly the same way twice. For me, Mac & Cheese is what I make when there are a lot of cheese odds and ends in the fridge. I've even mixed in a little blue cheese and bacon crumbles, which is marvelous.

What's your favorite or recommended cheese for home made mac and cheese?

A mixture of gruyere and a good sharp cheddar.

Plus whatever odds and ends in my cheese drawer that melts well.

But I always make sure the majority of the cheese is really good quality and tasty. Because the cheese you use makes all the difference.

I like to use an extra sharp white cheddar cheese. In this area the best grocery store cheese is McCadam Adirondack cheddar, another good one is Cabot Farmhouse Reserve or Private stock.

If you like it creamy use half American processed cheese (not cheese food) and half sharp cheddar.

I agree with the others, the best Mac and cheese just sort of happens when you clean out the refrigerator and no one is around to enjoy your masterpiece but you! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It really depends on what you're used to. For my parents, especially my stepfather, the USDA Depression cheese was the only cheese to use in home made mac 'n cheese. For me, I prefer an aged cheddar (not less than 3 years old), shredded and combined with a creamy cheese such as harvarti, or gruyere. The bite and creamy texture of a good Pinconning make this cheese great all by itself. Butterkase is also great for the purpose.

Monterey Jack coupled with a hard cheese such as Parmegiano Regiano, or Asiago, Romano, Grande Padano, etc. works very well.

With all of these, I precook the pasta, shred the cheese, heat half'n half, but not to a boil, and add the shredded cheese. Remove from the heat and add the cheese. Stir until you have a beautifully creamy sauce. Combine with the pasta in a casserole dish, with maybe some sliced onion, and a bit of sud-dried tomato. Sprinkle bread crumbs, or cornflake crumbs on top if you like those, and bake to create that wonderful crispy top. Serve with good veggies and your favorite sausage (brats, ring bologna, hot dogs, etc.).

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I tend to use whatever I've got, as mac & cheese tends to be a "day before payday" dish so it's usually the left-overs out of the cheese box in the 'fridge although I do like it best with farmhouse Cheshire cheese and a shot of "proper" parmesan on the top. The other day I used a mix of Cheshire and red Leicester which made it a sort of very pale orange-y colour which I thought was quite pretty. After all, one eats with one's eyes as well.

Chief. So no bechamel first, then the cheese?

I used to make a Bechemel, then add cheese to it. But as good as the mother sauce is, it dilutes the flavor of the cheese, requiring more cheese to get good flavor. By using only cream, or half'n half, and cheese, the result is creamier, and has more intense flavor to balance the pasta flavor.

A touch of yellow mustard also intensifies the cheese flavor. But be careful with mustard. It can quickly take over.

Other additions can include browned ground beef, crispy bacon, thing pieces of ham, cooked chicken, or turkey meat, and herbs such as a touch of nutmeg, or a little oregano. Paprika workswell with cheese macaroni too.

Home this helps.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I like to use a mixture of cheeses on hand. I made mac and cheese today and used a sharp cheddar, some cream cheese and a bit of hot pepper jack.

I like regular old cheddar for mine.
Bechamel, cheddar, cayenne, black pepper, salt, penne cooked just shy of al dente. Top with a thin layer of breadcrumbs seasoned with grated cheddar and Cajun seasoning. Bake at 350-375 for 10-30 minutes until browned on top.

I use white American cheddar cheese. I do like to put some Swiss cheese in also. I think the next time I make it, I am going to try Chief's way of using the half and half. I buy it by the half gallon and always have it on hand for coffee. I have always used the cream sauce. But his way sounds interesting. My kids do like having the tomatoes added into the mixture also. I usually use the juice as part of the liquid for the cream sauce. So I will have to figure out how to make it part of the half and half. :angel:

I used to make a Bechemel, then add cheese to it. But as good as the mother sauce is, it dilutes the flavor of the cheese, requiring more cheese to get good flavor. By using only cream, or half'n half, and cheese, the result is creamier, and has more intense flavor to balance the pasta flavor.

I also noted that the bechemel sauce required lots of cheese as they seemed to compete with each other for the main flavor.
Since I have never made homemade mac & cheese, I will now try it.

Do you think this method would be good for a cheese sauce? Like to put over veggies? No bechemel?

I like regular old cheddar for mine.
Bechamel, cheddar, cayenne, black pepper, salt, penne cooked just shy of al dente. Top with a thin layer of breadcrumbs seasoned with grated cheddar and Cajun seasoning. Bake at 350-375 for 10-30 minutes until browned on top.

I like the idea of a crusty top. Southern mac & cheese leaves much to be desired. I am speaking only this family I married into and other times when I have been served this dish.
It seems its no more than cooked elbows mixed with some cheese and put in the oven. Very dry with no creamy texture.

I plan to make this next time there is a get together. ;)

I also usually use what ever I have in the refrigerator. The last batch had some sharp cheddar, Philly cream cheese, even some Velveeta and the rest of the grated Parmesan. I think I might have used up the last of the sour cream too. No matter what cheeses or combination, it gets gobbled up.

RB, I take fresh breadcrumbs and toast them in a very small amount of butter in my sauté pan. Then mix with some grated cheese for the top of my mac and cheese. Place in oven and remove when bubbling. :angel:

RB, I take fresh breadcrumbs and toast them in a very small amount of butter in my sauté pan. Then mix with some grated cheese for the top of my mac and cheese. Place in oven and remove when bubbling. :angel:

RB, in answer to your question about a cheese sauce. You would probably want to make a Welsh Rarebit Sauce. A lot of folks leave out the beer. Or use the beer of their choice.

Welsh Rarebit Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

:angel:

Thanks Addie. I will use the recipe link provided (sounds great and I will use beer) and I like your crusty topping. Will use it too, when i make the mac &cheese.

My mother used to make Welsh Rarebit all the time with the beer when she had it. Otherwise it was milk or cream. I prefer it without. She was a stickler for sticking to the recipes her mother taught her. I think I come from a family of drunks. Maybe that is why I have never tasted liquor. :angel:

I like the idea of a crusty top. Southern mac & cheese leaves much to be desired. I am speaking only this family I married into and other times when I have been served this dish.
It seems its no more than cooked elbows mixed with some cheese and put in the oven. Very dry with no creamy texture.

I plan to make this next time there is a get together. ;)

If it were dry and non-creamy, that just sounds like bad macaroni and cheese.
You have to take into account a couple of things.
1. The pasta will continue cooking in the oven as it bakes because the pasta should not be completely cooked through when it goes in. It'll absorb moisture from the sauce as it finishes cooking in the oven.

2.The starch released from the pasta can also slightly thicken the sauce. I almost always hit my pasta with cold water in the colander when it finishes boiling to keep it from overcooking and to rinse off some of the starch. I only do this for baked macaroni and cheese to help with the final texture; no globs of pasta stuck together and sauce consistency is easier to control.

3. The breadcrumbs act as a moisture wick, pulling a little moisture up and then evaporating into the oven. I've noticed very dry mac and cheese when I accidentally make the crust too thick on top.

So, the solution is extra sauce and a thin crust on top. I usually put almost double the sauce of a traditional recipes call for and it comes out perfectly. I don't mind putting in extra cheese if the sauce needs it. In my opinion, good macaroni and cheese is ALL about the texture as long as you get the cheese flavor in there. I've had times where I cooked the pasta too much and just browned the crust under the broiler and you couldn't tell much difference from the baked one honestly.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom