Macadamia nuts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jet

Sous Chef
I have a brittle recipe that calls for macadamia nuts. I checked several stores and cannot find them. Is there another nut that I can use instead?

Sometimes they are found with the candy and cocktail nuts instead of in the cooking nut section. Almonds are a great substitute.

You can use any nut you want ... it just won't be macadamia nut brittle if you do. Peanuts are common in brittle - I've used black walnuts and pecans just to do something different.

Cashews would be the closest in texture and depth of flavor.

Walgreens Drug Store carries macadamias in the nut/snack section.

My family owns 10-1/2 acres of macadamia nut trees on the big island of Hawaii, just up-slope from Hilo. Whoever goes next, has to bring back a duffle bag of husked, but unshelled nuts. The grandkids then sit on the deck with a cinderblock and hammer, and shell them. Of course we only see a portion of them at first because the kids do a "One for me and one for you..." But that only lasts for a while. Macadamias, in large quantities, have a laxative effect! LOL!

I checked the baking and produce sections of a couple grocery stores yesterday, but I never thought to check the snack aisle. I went back out today, stopping at Walmart first to pick up a couple things. Ironically enough, I found them in the baking section at Walmart. Thanks

Hey, Selkie, my daughter just moved (beginning of Nov.( to the big island, and is working at a coffee, macadamia nut farm for room and board!

I thought most macadamia nuts came from HI, but these were from South Africa.

Hey, Selkie, my daughter just moved (beginning of Nov.( to the big island, and is working at a coffee, macadamia nut farm for room and board!

Ohhhh... Hawaiian coffee is the best!!!!!! Even now, I use a Kona coffee blend that is sooooo smooth!

That's great that she's there! It's a real cultural difference, and I hope she takes advantage and enjoys it!

I think it's a great place to live! My folks lived there for almost a year and a half, until my mother got island fever. "Island fever" is the anxiety of being isolated so far away from family and long-time friends. Not that she couldn't have flown back to the mainland for a visit whenever she wanted, but the daily separation just really got to her. She was depressed from feeling alone - even with my dad right there. Now that they're here, other family has taken over.

I was on Guam for two years and even though it was much smaller (basically 6x32 miles), I was too busy having fun. And I felt excited and enthusiastic while I lived in Hawaii for a short time too, but not her. Each person finds paradise differently.

I would say pecans are the best substitute, mainly because macadamia nuts have this creamy, buttery taste, and so do pecans. Other nuts are too crunchy and too less buttery to be used as macadamia substitutes.

Here's the finished product:

Macadamia-Almond Brittle
dsc_0020.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom