Macaron help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

masteraznchefjr

Sous Chef
I've been having problems making coffee macarons recently. My chocolate macarons and lemon macarons come out right, but my coffee ones always have a crack in the shells or are deflated. I am using about 1 tbs of instant coffee. Do you think the caffeine or additives in the instant coffee might effect the eggwhites or batter?

I'm going to take a shot at this. Here's how interaction between egg and coffee was explained in an article on putting egg in coffee:

"...the proteins bind irreversibly to astringent and bitter tasting polyphenols in coffee to form insoluble complexes that will precipitate."

Even egg white is 10% protein. Whatever those insoluble complexes might be, it might be that having that happen causes some separation and might certainly defeat the egg white's function.

But I also find recipes with espresso powder, plain instant coffee, and ground espresso. Some are rather flat with cracks. Many are plump and smooth. I'm working from a limited sample here, just those with both recipe and photo. But I believe I see that the flat cracked results come from recipes with large volumes of coffee powder, like 6 tsp or 1 tbs for three or four egg whites. The plump smooth ones use one or two tsp. So maybe it's just too much coffee powder for the amount of liquid and they're just dry.

I have attempted some recipes from time to time using coffee powder or espresso powder or coffee and something usually goes awry for me. I love coffee flavored things & I love to bake cookies but have had no luck with coffee. What was said about the dryness and coffee to egg white ratio I agree with all of that and will take this advice into consideration the next time I get into "cookie monster mode". I'm glad someone posted and asked this question. I had forgotten about my not so perfect coffee cookies. Maybe I will attempt them again sometime.

Back
Top Bottom