Major Breyers Ice Cream Changes (must read...)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
All Products

Yes folks if you like this ice cream brand did you notice the change on some of the flavors over to a Frozen Dairy Dessert From Ice Cream

I am talking about all the special flavors like Butter Pecan, Black Raspberry Chocolate, Rocky Road, etc....

Not regular simple flavors like Vanilla, Vanilla, chocolate, Strawberry, and chocolate.

NOW that means flavors made with corn syrup, and less than 10% milk. That means moving to cheap corn syrup and away from more expensive milk.

From this link:

Breyers® - An American Classic Since 1866

4) What is a Frozen Dairy Dessert?

Frozen Dairy Dessert products are made with many of the same high-quality ingredients that are commonly found in Ice Cream – like fresh milk, cream and sugar – and offer a great taste and even smoother texture. These products do not fall within the current FDA definition of standardized Ice Cream, so we call them Frozen Dairy Dessert.

5) Does Frozen Dairy Dessert taste different than Ice Cream? Are there nutritional benefits to Frozen Dairy Dessert when compared to Ice Cream?

In a national side-by-side taste test, our fans tell us they like the new recipe just as much as the original. We’re confident these new products deliver the great taste Ice Cream fans expect but with any product change it’s always possible that you may notice a difference. Frozen Dairy Dessert tends to have less fat than ice cream.

6) Are there Breyers flavors that are not Frozen Dairy Dessert?

Many flavors – which are based off the original recipes that William Breyer himself created 140 years ago – are Ice Cream, including: Natural Vanilla, Natural Strawberry, Chocolate, French Vanilla, Vanilla/Chocolate/Strawberry, Mint Chocolate Chip, Homemade Vanilla, Coffee, Vanilla/Chocolate, Lactose-Free Vanilla, Triple Chocolate and NASCAR® Checkered Flag.

7) What is the packaging difference between Ice Cream and Frozen Dairy Dessert? Does the price of Frozen Dairy Dessert products differ from that of Ice Cream?

All products are clearly labeled as either Ice Cream or Frozen Dairy Dessert. The ingredient and nutritional information may have changed. The suggested retail price for Frozen Dairy Dessert varieties is consistent with the current Ice Cream products.

8) Why did Breyers make the change to Frozen Dairy Dessert?

Since 1866, Breyers products have consistently delivered high-quality ingredients, great flavors and smooth creaminess that our fans love, and we remain committed to that Pledge. Our Ice Cream and new Frozen Dairy Dessert varieties continue to use fresh milk, cream and sugar. What distinguishes our Frozen Dairy Dessert from our Ice Cream is that it’s blended in a whole new way to create a smoother texture.

Last edited:
I gave up on Breyers several years ago when -
The half gallon container shrank to less than 1/2 gallon.
I noticed the 30 to 40% shrinkage from the hard frozen to semi thawed product.
Last time I checked, when priced by weight and quality, I think Haagen Dazs is a better buy. I us to enjoy drugstore fountain hand packed Breyers back in the 1950's.

I gave up on Breyers several years ago when -
The half gallon container shrank to less than 1/2 gallon.
I noticed the 30 to 40% shrinkage from the hard frozen to semi thawed product.
Last time I checked, when priced by weight and quality, I think Haagen Dazs is a better buy. I us to enjoy drugstore fountain hand packed Breyers back in the 1950's.

Sure they have cut down on the size over the past like 10 years, but now they are cutting down on the milk and using corn syrup instead. That is unfair....

Yes I noticed this a while ago! Edy's/Dreyers started this trend with "frozen dairy dessert"

So now they are giving you fake ingredients, filled with air, so their product has lost any quality it once had.

i haven't eaten breyer's ice cream since i learned their vanilla ice cream no longer contained vanilla flavoring of any kind. no vanilla beans, no vanilla extract, not even a hint of vanilla among their 'natural flavors'.

there are many other ice cream brands guilty of such practices. it's not only breyers. i no longer eat or buy any of them, either. today, when i occasionally have ice cream, it is ben and jerry's or haagen dazs. btw, in case you didn't notice, haagen daz's 16 oz. ice cream containers shrank down to 14 oz. some while ago....

This is very disheartening and disturbing. First that these companies are adulterating our food to save money and second, that they are trying to make us think it's a good thing.

Thank you for posting this. The shrinking amounts has bothered me for some time and I always take the amount into consideration when pricing ice cream. I'm not happy with the changes to the product. :mad:

I have to admit, ice cream is my favorite dessert. I don't eat a lot of cakes, cookies, or pies, but I love ice cream. I haven't bought ice cream for some time. But I do love making ice cream. I agree with Andy, it is disturbing what food producers are doing and how they are trying to convince us that it is a good thing.

And you don't want to know what makes up the other 38 ingredients in chicken McNuggets.

I stopped buying ice cream three or four years ago. It's so fattening, I just can't eat it very often. And when I do, I either make it myself or we go out to a gelato shop owned by some friends. I know they use only real ingredients and no HFCS.

Last edited:
I stopped buying ice cream three or four years ago. It's so fattening, I just can't eat it very often. And when I do, I either make it myself or we go out to a gelato shop owned by some friends. I know they use only real ingredients and no HFCS.

I've started eating frozen yogurt instead, very nice and much lower in fat. I buy the soft serve kind that's very low in fat. My favourite flavours are lychee and English toffee :yum:

I have never tried frozen yoghurt before!

We love normal yoghurt, so I think we need to give this a try :yum:

Back
Top Bottom