Making chili?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that would be Torrington, we have it in all our grocery stores here! ;p
Interesting place to pick for a vacation, must have been visiting family...

Mom and Dad retired to Lingle, WY...LOL! Torrington is the nearest BIG town, I just can't call it a city! We had our 25th anniversary and my parents 50th anniversary celebration there. I cooked for 150 people. All my own recipes and it took me three days to get it all done.

I LOVE the bi-colored (white and yellow) corn that is grown there!! We just had it yesterday!!

I LOVE the bi-colored (white and yellow) corn that is grown there!! We just had it yesterday!!

I haven't had that, I'll have to get Mom to send me some...they should be happy to, I sent them 25 lbs of buckwheat flour so Dad could make his own soba noodles.

I buy it fresh at the market, then freeze it. Not sure how they would send it to you.

1) I read somewhere to put a big Hershey's chocolate bar in it. Go figure! :) I will probably try it some time.

2) There is a recipe called Chili by George on allrecipes.com. I love it. You might like checking it out.

I'm in Missoula. I haven't been to Plains, yet. Are you from Montana, too or VA?

I actually grew up in N. Idaho. My folks moved to MT about 10 years ago. They get over to Missoula regularly. There is only one grocery store in Plains!

Yes, regular unsweetened chocolate should be used. It just add to the depth of flavor.

I add unsweetened cocoa to my chili too. The basis for my chili recipe is straight from the Betty Crocker cookbook.

I guess I should have asked, did anyone ever try ground lamb in their chilli making process?

And if they did, how was it?

Just a couple of weeks ago we tried a recipe for chili with ground lamb. We were bringing to my brother's to have while watching the Bears (he has a big flat screen TV) It was from one of the Frugal Gourmet's cookbook. It called for cubed lamb, but we used ground lamb. It was OK. Different. I think I like the regular ground beef version better. I think everyone felt the same. It was nice for something different, but we all like the ground beef better.

Carol

I actually grew up in N. Idaho. My folks moved to MT about 10 years ago. They get over to Missoula regularly. There is only one grocery store in Plains!
I add unsweetened cocoa to my chili too. The basis for my chili recipe is straight from the Betty Crocker cookbook.

Howdy from your side of the country! :)

Some good suggestions on Chilis. Thanks for that. My chili has lots of Cumin and Oregano, so bit of a Tex-Mex flavor. I also make mine on the hot, spicy side with red pepper and spicy ground chili. Yes, I will throw in a can or two of beans sometimes. I use at least 2 pounds of ground beef, medium fatty, and add some sausage or other for variety with the casing removed.

There have been many "Chili" threads. One in particular had a file of chili recipes from "Luckytrim". Make your chili anyway you wish.

All I was trying to be was friendly, share some of my chili ingredients, Craig. I am first and foremost a foodie who loves any ethnic dish or cuisine that is hot and spicy. I very much appreciate all the cooks and input on this forum. I wish you and all the cooks here a Happy, Healthy New Year. Marty.

Last edited:
There have been many "Chili" threads. One in particular had a file of chili recipes from "Luckytrim". Make your chili anyway you wish.

I have been try to find that thread for awhile so I could download the file but I haven't been able to find it. Can you post a link? TIA

Back
Top Bottom