Making sauerkraut question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Ive been making Sauerkraut for years now using the same basic recipe.
- Shred the cabbage
- Sprinkle in salt, and massage it into the shredded cabbage
- Let it sit
- Pack in a jar making sure the cabbage s submerged completely under the liquid level
- Add pre made brine to cabbage if not enough liquid to cover the cabbage.
( I think its 1 tsp of salt to 1 cup of water).

Ive been doing it this way for years, it always comes out good, but always have to make and add the extra brine, as the salted cabbage never yields anywhere close to the amount of liquid needed to cover the cabbage ( maybe a few Tbs at most).

Honestly, I dont care cause the end product is always good, but the way the author talks about it in the recipe, it seems like not having enough liquid from just the salted cabbage is rarity. Am I doing something wrong in a 2 ingredient recipe :LOL:

When we make it we have to tamp the cabbage down.. some what forcibly.

It breaks down the cabbage some and helps it give up its water.

If you squeeze too hard the end result will be too soggy.
What kind of cabbage do you use?
Not all cabbage created equal, and not all cabbage is good for sauerkraut.
I never add brine.

I just use what I would consider a typical green cabbage. I squeeze moderately. I get some liquid but definitely not enough to submerge the cabbage in. I have no problem adding the brine, as the final product tastes good to me and is consistent. Im jus wondering why im not getting the liquid that apparently I should be getting.

You should use what i would call white cabbage. It is not really white, but it is much, much lighter in color compare to regular grocery store green cabbage.

Go to the national center for home preserving or university extension services for how to can fermented cabbage by pasteurization, if you want it canned.

This can also be done for fermented pickles. I have a bucket of those going, they are divine.

But to be honest, they are the best, right out of the bucket/barrel/crock. As is the sauerkraut.

Back
Top Bottom