Making your own buttermilk...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dave,
Would you please post your recipe for Crema .I use the same method
that you use to make buttermilk. (Good Stuff )

Josie

I just pour a pint of heavy cream into a pint jar, add a tb of buttermilk, and shake it up. Then I set it on the counter for 24 hours, maybe a little less, in warm weather. The cream becomes very thick, then, when refrigerated, it becomes solid. It keeps for a long time, until I use it up.

I just pour a pint of heavy cream into a pint jar, add a tb of buttermilk, and shake it up. Then I set it on the counter for 24 hours, maybe a little less, in warm weather. The cream becomes very thick, then, when refrigerated, it becomes solid. It keeps for a long time, until I use it up.

I just want to mention that I this doesn't usually work if you have high temperature pasteurized cream or milk. The high heat does something to the shape of the proteins and they just don't curdle properly. I have had no problems when using regular pasteurized milk or filtered milk.

Interesting. I actually got some sour cream in today's grocery delivery, and it no longer mentions the strain of lactobacillus. I wonder if there are differences between what is available in the US and in Canada, or maybe even regionally.
The absolute best buttermilk I have ever had was the buttermilk I bought at that little shop we went to after a Danish Luncheon in Montreal--it was real buttermilk, not what you buy in the grocery store. As I remember, it cost a pretty penny, but it was soooooo good, TL. I bet the sour cream there is just as good. My brother and I hated the cottage cheese in Ontario. We would go to a little store on Bank St. in Ottawa and buy cottage cheese from Quebec. It is hard to explain why we didn't like it--we just didn't. I used to always buy organic milk whenever I got a chance to go to VT or NY. I hated Canadian milk sold in the bag. All I can say is that VT, NY, WI, and MN milk is sweeter. I think it is because of the feed. I know clover plays a huge part in the feed in WI and MN.

Last edited:
I just want to mention that I this doesn't usually work if you have high temperature pasteurized cream or milk. The high heat does something to the shape of the proteins and they just don't curdle properly. I have had no problems when using regular pasteurized milk or filtered milk.

This always works for me, and the only cream I use for it is the usual UHTP heavy cream.

As Taxy states, there are two types of buttermilk. What is left after butter is churned and cultured buttermilk. Since I no longer make cheese, where the starter was either cultured yogurt or cultured buttermilk, I just add lemon juice to milk when I need buttermilk in a recipe. I always have milk on hand and add lemon juice to it when I need buttermilk.

Last edited:
As Taxy states, there are two types of buttermilk. What is left after butter is churned and cultured buttermilk. Since I no longer make cheese, where the starter was either cultured yogurt or cultured buttermilk, I just add lemon juice to milk when I need buttermilk in a recipe. I always have milk on hand and add lemon juice to it when I need buttermilk.
I belong to the camp that drinks buttermilk...but, you can freeze it or buy powdered buttermilk. When I was an exchange student in Germany, we spe nt 3 weeks on the island of Juist. There I was introduced to a drink that is made with buttermilk and orange juice or lemonade. I do that in the summer. I also like my buttermilk ice cold with grated lime and fresh ground pepper. My Dad drinks his with salt added. When I was a child, buttermilk was kept in the "cooler" at The Lake (this was an insulated box through which the Artesian spring water ran--best water ever).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom