Mandolin Slicers - Loved or Feared?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tool Designer

Assistant Cook
Who here owns a mandolin slicer? Do you have any horror stories or concerns worth mentioning?

Who owns one but prefers not to use it?

Who loves them!?

You can find some pretty gruesome pictures on the net of accidents people have had with mandolins.

I have tried a few, and yeah, they are a great way to cut down preparation time, but I dont think I would like to have one in my kitchen permanently - my wife can be a bit of a worry with the sharp stuff, and I just dont want to introduce the added risk that comes with owning one.

Has anyone almost bought one, but then didnt? If so, why not?

Do you have any tricks that you use to make using your mandolin a little safer?

Not really a true mandolin, but I own an OXO V blade slicer dicer and I love it, and use it all the time. It does deserve and gets a healthy bit of respect, like any sharp object. I feel that most accidents happen either from lack of respect and/or not using the safety precautions and guards that come with the equipment. I'm not concerned about my Lady using it because she doesn't, we have rules about MY KITCHEN. I don't play with her lawnmower and she stays out of my kitchen, it's that simple. We made that agreement before we married, and it works for us.

I also have the OXO and love it. I use it carefully and always with the guard. Makes perfect slices every time. My husband gets a little nervous when I drag it out, but I have had no problems with it.

Good one, UB. I was going to say the same thing. I have taken chunks out of my thumb with a mandolin, but, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing. Respect it, and it will work.

A buddy of mine in his externship and a incident with one.

Ive gottne a few scraps and what not

you do need to be paying attention and respect the tool. they can be very dangerous.

I dont have one becuase I would try to go that extra little bit past the point i know i shouldnt go anymore.

Ill jsut do it myself. I would love one for potatos and stuff but for now ill stick to something safer like my knives.

I have one and love it. Like UB, I do not fear it (although my wife fears it for me), but I have a healthy respect for it.

My tricks for using it safely are not really tricks. Always use the hand guard when possible. This is not possible when doing things like carrots, but for something like potatoes it is a must. Never wear loose cloths, but that is true of cooking in general. Pay attention to what you are doing. Do not have other distractions around you. There is a certain amount of speed needed when using one, but it is not a race so use just enough speed so the food slices, but do not try to go as fast as you can just for the sake of speed.

I find mine a very helpful tool in my kitchen, but I do not find I use it often. I would say I probably use it 2 times a year at most. When I do use it though I am very happy I have it.

I don't have a mandolin, but do have and use this. It was very inexpensive and have used it 20+ years and is still as sharp as can be. They are still available and inexpensive, and the best for slicing potatoes.

622900.f.jpg

spacer01.gif
Feemster's Famous Vegetable Slicer

spacer01.gif
spacer01.gif

I use one and always wear cut resistant gloves with it. I know me and don't want to take a chance to get cut.

Two kitchen tools DH will not allow me to have are a cleaver and a mandoline. He says I am just too accident prone. Of course, I would buy both if I thought he was wrong, but I he is right.

I have a Zyliss mandolin. I really only use it for potato gratin or those funky eggplant parms I do. It has a kind of "sled" that holds the food. If you use it with the sled and the holder, it's pretty hard to cut yourself.

AAAAAkFEMZEAAAAAAHW9Kg.jpg

I have two of them...a Bron stainless steel job that I found in a second-hand store, and a Börner V-Slicer that came from another thrift. The Bron is a beautiful little machine, but the perpendicular blade is a poor idea. The V-Slicer, made of plastic and not nearly as pretty, gets far more use in my house. Easier to use, easier to clean. It's light enough to go camping as a FP replacement. If you're buying new, far less expensive, too.

I have the Bron stainless which I use frequently. I also respect what it does with my food and what it could do to my fingers. I have a protective glove which I use at all times.
I don't find it difficult to clean, as some have said.

I have a cheap plastic one that my husband bought me 13 years ago. I use it all the time. Still sharp as a razor; still easy to clean. Makes terrific paper-thin potatoes & onions, wonderful shredded veggies of all types, terrific "french fries", etc., etc.

And I use the hand guard ALL THE TIME. Even with carrots. All you need to do is start the carrot off without the guard until you get down to the last 2" - then switch to the guard wherein you'll be able to get down to the last thin slice.

In years of using this on an a weekly basis, I've yet to even nick myself once. It's all in being extremely CAREFUL at all times.

carrots? I like to lay them down on the V-slicer and (using the handguard) julienne them for salads.

I have both the freemaster and a madoline. I prefer the freemaster for potatoes and the madoline for cabbage. If I have a lot to do I will use the slicer/grater on the Kitchen Aid Mixer.

I have a homr made one. Very simple, works fine. It is pretty old and is getting dull. The duller it gets the faster I can cut stuff free hand. I'd love to get knew one.

Back
Top Bottom