Marinated Roast Beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Found this in one of my cookbooks...........I'm still not sure about that much garlic though but it might be like that one that uses 40 cloves with Chicken. You know where the idea scares you but the results are really delicious.

Marinated Roast Beef

1 (6 to 8 pound) beef rump roast
1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup prepared mustard
30 cloves garlic, cut in half
1 Tbsp fresly ground pepper

*Pierce roast at 1 inch intervals with a meat fork, and place in a large heavy duty zip lock plastic bag.

*Combine oil and next 5 ingredients; pour over roast. Seal and chill 24 to 48 hours, turning roast occasionally.

*Remove roast from marinade, discarding marinade. Place roast on a lighltly greased rack in a broiler pan; sprinkle with pepper.

*Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 145 degrees (medium-rare) to 160 degrees (medium). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.

Obtained from Southern Living 1997 Annual Cookbook

Don't be 'skeered' of the garlic; I do a leg of lamb this way, and the garlic just sort of melts and infuses the meat; it's really wonderful!

Oh trust me...garlic is NOT scary at all. I LOVE IT! My daughter used to call my caesar salad "Ouch" salad. Didn't stop her from eating it though.

I often used huge amounts of garlic in roasts [proportionately to the size of the meat].

Garlic mellows during the cooking process and is soooo good!

WOW and THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Found this in one of my cookbooks...........I'm still not sure about that much garlic though but it might be like that one that uses 40 cloves with Chicken. You know where the idea scares you but the results are really delicious.

Marinated Roast Beef

1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup prepared mustard

*Pierce roast at 1 inch intervals with a meat fork, and place in a large heavy duty zip lock plastic bag.

*Combine oil and next 5 ingredients; pour over roast. Seal and chill 24 to 48 hours, turning roast occasionally.

*Remove roast from marinade, discarding marinade. Place roast on a lighltly greased rack in a broiler pan; sprinkle with pepper.

*Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 50 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers 145 degrees (medium-rare) to 160 degrees (medium). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing. Garnish, if desired. Yield: 10 to 12 servings.

Thank you very much for this recipe. I tried it lastnight (with a couple minor changes) and it honestly was the best recipe I have ever tried on that cut of meat. Thank you again.:-p:);)

Marinated Roast Beef

1 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup prepared mustard

Hi SizzlininIn,
Given that you discard the garlic when you remove the meat from the marinade, I don`t regard this to be an excessive amount of garlic at all.

Uk cuts of beef and UK cuts differ so I`m not too convinced about the timing as, IMHO, you have given a timing for a slow roast. However, I would go with the temperatures as you have given. Also, the beef, for me would have to be rested for 20 -30 minutes before slicing. Some chefs in the UK advocate resting the meat for as long as it has been cooked before slicing and serving!

It seems a shame to discard the marinade. I would be tempted to use this to make a gravy to go with the meat.

All the best,
Archiduc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom