Marinated steak??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anytime I make hamburgers or meatloaf, I always add some milk. Been doing it for years. My mother always soaked her bread in milk for her meatloaf. The majority of us don't use the best cuts of beef for these two staples.

If your bf wants a marinade, then give it to him. But you can keep yours the way you like it. Just salt and pepper. :angel:

I did exactly that. He loved it, but I just tasted the marinade. I liked my seasoned steak better. It was a yummy marinade tho- A1 brand, NY style, for steaks and chops. I would maybe like it better if I watered it down, because it did have great flavor, it was just too strong for me. But bf loved it, like I said, and happily added globs of A1 steak sauce. ::smh:: I need to remember that next time he complains something I make is bland. He doesn't like to taste the food.

My bf seems to think steak should be marinated. He says that's why no name steaks are so good. I think you should be able to just buy good steak, and season it. Steak is a tender cut- why would you marinate it?? What would you even marinate it in? I want to taste the steak, not a marinade... What do you think? Restaurants wouldn't marinate a nice ribeye, so why would I?

I've battled with this question myself for year. First off, restaurants typically serve Prime grade beef, whereas grocery stores typically sell Choice. So your home cooked steak will not be as good. Then, a lot of restaurants cook steaks quickly at temperatures you probably cannot achieve at home (safely). Then, of course, there are different cuts and different degrees of marbling that weigh into the decision. Then there is different degrees of marination (adds acid) and brining (adds salt), both of which can tenderize a cut, while the latter will help retain moisture (and lengthen cooking time, and the length of time the meat is marinating.

Experimenting is the ultimate way to figure out what works best for the situation. Get a couple similar cuts. One gets no treatment, the other gets a quick, lite brine/marinade, consisting of tsp sea salt and oz of water, splash of balsamic and soy sauce. A shake of MSG, garlic/onion powder, optional. Marinate for a couple hours at most. Then see the difference. Both will be good. You won't need to salt the brined one when serving.

Back
Top Bottom