Marmalade for Diabetics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scotty

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,
I have been making marmalade for many years and when making lemon or lemon & lime marmalade I used to use the proportions of 1lb fruit to 2lb sugar (ie 1:2).
My husband now has type 2 diabetes so I have been experimenting with using less sugar; the last lot of lemon & lime had 2 fruit to 1 sugar, which our dietician said would be OK. It set beautifully and though a bit tart, was quite delicious. Has anyone used even less sugar, or experimented with sugar substitutes; I'm really not sure where to go next, but would really like to make 'Diabetic' Marmalade if anyone can tell me how!
Also, I live in South Africa (though originated in Scotland) where some products are impossible to source, so it has to be simple.

It might be worthwhile to use a combination of real sugar and a sugar substitute to maintain the original 1:2 ratio and flavor.

I think the original 2:1 proportions would now be too sweet for our taste, but I think I might try to get back to the 1:1 proportion which was really good.
What sort of sugar substitute would you suggest?

I think the original 2:1 proportions would now be too sweet for our taste, but I think I might try to get back to the 1:1 proportion which was really good.
What sort of sugar substitute would you suggest?

I don't use them and don't know which is best for a diabetic. Sorry I can't help.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom