Mascarpone Brownies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
2021-01-27 18.54.35.jpg
(adapted from Food Network Canada)

Brownies

1 cup unsalted butter
3 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
3 large eggs, at room-temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Ganache

6 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 tablespoons whipping cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 325F and grease or parchment paper an 8x8 pan. Set aside.

In glass mixing bowl melt butter in microwave on full power. Stir in chocolate and mix until combined (a few additional seconds in the microwave may be needed). Note: This may be done over a double boiler, but we've never seen why you should bother with the hassle!

Add sugar to chocolate/butter mixture until combined. Heat for an additional 30 seconds on high, remove and stir until it looks shiny. It will still look a bit grainy.

Add marscapone, vanilla, eggs and mixing until smooth.

Sift flour, salt and cocoa into mixture with a sieve and stir just until combined, making sure to scrape all sides of the bowl. (Mixture will be rather light in texture, instead of dense and heavy like many brownie batters)

Pour batter into prepared pan and smooth top to ensure even baking. Bake for 40-50 minutes until tester comes out almost clean.

Use the flat end of a potato masher to lightly tamp down the surface of the brownies while they are still warm. Do not squish, merely flatten any parts that might have raised more than others (typically the edges). This will help the ganache coat evenly. Leave in pan and set on wire rack to cool.

While brownies are cooling, make your ganache to pour over the top (which you will want to do while your brownies are still warm). To do so, simply heat butter and cream on medium power (taking care not to boil) in the microwave and add chocolate. Stir until all lumps disappear. Immediately pour over brownies. Let cool completely (we find placing them in the fridge helps up stay out of the pan until they the ganache is set 100%). Once chilled a knife will cut through them cleanly, make sure to clean your blade for each cut for a more polished look.

The mascarpone keeps things moist and dense without the same thin, underdone taste of a normal fudgy brownie. It also allows the chocolate to shine through without feeling a sugar coma after eating one (although we make no promises that you can eat just one).

Last edited:
Just wanted to add, i substituted cream cheese for the mascarpone 1 time when i made this recipe due to the expense of mascarpone. Not anywhere near as good and not worth wasting all the money on the chocolate IMO.

Yes, ok I can see that. good to know, thank you.

and now I have another question. medtran, you say to leave in the pan to cool. I'm guessing it is so the ganache stays on top rather than run off?

On normal brownies, do you cool in the pan for a bit and then remove whole? Or always just leave them there.

Truth to tell, I can't remember if I have ever made brownies. My sister made brownies and fudge so perfect, nobody else in the house dared tried.

I'm guessing one usually leaves them in the pan? Then cut. Remove when cool for storage - if there are any left to store?

Yes, ok I can see that. good to know, thank you.

and now I have another question. medtran, you say to leave in the pan to cool. I'm guessing it is so the ganache stays on top rather than run off?

On normal brownies, do you cool in the pan for a bit and then remove whole? Or always just leave them there.

Truth to tell, I can't remember if I have ever made brownies. My sister made brownies and fudge so perfect, nobody else in the house dared tried.

I'm guessing one usually leaves them in the pan? Then cut. Remove when cool for storage - if there are any left to store?

Yes, the ganache needs time to set up.

I usually leave these in the pan and cover.

For regular brownies, i will cut and put in a container or plastic bag.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom