Meals High In Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
As most of you know, my wife is pregnant. She just had a blood test and the Doc told her she is seriously anemic. He has previously told her she was anemic and put her on iron pills. Now he told her she should take 3 a day instead of one.

I did my Google research and know what foods are high in iron. I also found out what foods block the absorption of iron. What I would like to know from the people here is what foods or meals they like to eat that are high in iron. It is one thing to look up charts on Google, but it is another thing to get suggestions from friends who I know have good taste ;)

Hi GB congrats and from my perspective if her iron is seriously low she needs supplements.

My iron has been low practically for years. Last year it was so low that at my physical the doctor did not understand how I operated. In a normal female the iron count should be around 12 and mine was a 2 so almost at the lowest of the ends.

I was told that foods high in iron cannot boost up my iron reserves like supplements.

I used to take 3 iron pills a day and I still take them. I have a friend who is a physician and she told me that some individuals do not absorb iron well and I may be one such type. I can tell you however that I feel much better after those pills although I hate taking them because they make me nauseas and sick for hours.

Foods high in iron and no surprise you must have seen it on google are liver, red meats, salmon, spinach. There are a lot of others but these are the big ones. I don't like red meats, nor do I like liver. I eat salmon and spinach but they alone would not cut it.

One thing to do is to cook in cast iron as much as you can, if possible. Some people say to never cook tomato based stuff in CI but they are wrong as it will help release more iron into whatever you are cooking. I guess I was a weird one as I was always anemic until I was pregnant with my first child; my blood pressure also went down and has stayed down since too. For most it is the opposite.

Well, I like grilled liver and onions, char broiled filet of beef. I love dark greens like spinach chard collards etc, all good for iron. However, keep the milk and dairy away from that meal so the iron is absorbed. So liver n onion with a baked potato seasoned with balsamic vinegar salt and pepper, and sauteed chard with garlic n evoo, would be heaven for me.

GB,
I have to take iron capsules tid...I think right now the main thing is to get your wifes iron level UP..Take the pills, Keep looking at recipes that have iron in them..Just remember, that cooking takes away some of the iron, plus just how much of that iron rich food would she have to consume for it to be effective? The meds you know will work. And I'd insist on a blood test again in 3 months to see if the level has risen...It's a pain in the fanny to have to take meds, but,it's worth it in the end...Look what is coming:) And anemia can really lay you low...

kadesma

Can't go wrong with Bistecca alla Fiorentina (Grilled T-Bone/Porterhouse w/ sauteed Spinach). Both components of that meal are high in iron. Linguine with Clams is also good, or Puttanesca with Salmon and Shrimp.

My Inlaws make a very tasty wild pheasant when my FIL gets one, it's sometimes very high in iron, but they try to get all of the buckshot out of it first. :mrgreen:

And GB, I don't know that I ever properly said congratulations!

John

Tofu is high in iron and so easy to cook with. I use it in scrambles for breakfast and bake marinated tofu for salads.

Does your wife like tofu? If so I'll post some recipes for you!

Thanks everyone and especially IC for those suggestions. Dinner tonight will be steak with lima beans (Rach LOVES lima beans). Tomorrow I will do something with spinach although I an not sure what yet.

She is on supplements and will continue to take those. The foods high in iron are just an added measure. At this point, it does not sound like she can have too much.

She will have another blood test in a number of weeks. Her doctor is amazing and is keeping a very close eye on her. He is not worried, but just wants to stay on top of it.

Thanks John!

Red, she does not really like tofu, but I think that is because she has never really given it much of a shot. She does have an open mind and I am sure would taste it if I made it so your recipes are more than welcome!

I almost forget Risotto ai Fruiti di Mare (Seafood Risotto). That will give you an excuse to buy fresh lobster, make a killer stock, and then use it for the risotto.

And chicken/turkey is high in iron as well. I'm sure you know how to cook chicken in at least 20 or 30 ways.

She is a huge risotto fan so that is another great suggestions IC! I did not realize that chicken and turkey were high in iron though. That helps a lot.

GB, this article from the Sunday Herald may throw some light on your wife's problem.

As for food rich in iron content, perhaps she might want to try Beef Wellington that has beef, liver pate, mushrooms and onions which are all high in iron.

I practically have chronic anemia, so I'm an expert on this :) My GI doc's nurse told me that you must take Vitamin C - a glass of OJ will work - with iron supplements to ensure absorption. If the more common ferrous sulfate formulation upsets her stomach, ferrous gluconate might work better (that's what I take).

I like to cook spaghetti sauce with ground beef in my cast-iron skillet. I also like wilted spinach salads, and put some spinach in with other greens in salads (I don't like it much by itself, and I don't like well-cooked greens). Shrimp are a good source of iron, too - 4 oz. = 20% of the daily value for iron. WHFoods: Shrimp

Last edited:
I don't think any one has mentioned that it is extremely important to take a vit C source to aid in the absorption of iron, extremely important:) .

Also, cook in cast iron:cool:

Having a background in nutrition, I must say:) , the first line of defense is always food. Pack in those foods high in iron, with a side of orange juice:LOL: .

Best of luck to the family:)

Some other foods high in iron.... chick peas, bran flakes, spinach, baked beans and dried figs.

Red meat (beef, lamb, pork) is rich in iron that is easily absorbed. The darker the meat, the more iron it contains.

I will post some easy tasty tofu recipes for you shortly!

A nice grilled steak, sweet potato (baked or fries), steamed broccoli, and a spinach and arugula salad should do the trick.

I've actually just completed an article for my website with regards to lead crystalware. Although it seems a little out of context, it may actually help. I think the real message here is that being able to absorb the iron is the key.

According to my research, high quantities of lead can cause aenemia. Because of it's ability to affect the soft tissues (organs), people can experience difficulty in absorbing other heavy minerals like iron.

Food itself should not be cause for concern, but the cookware and serving dishes you use may contain lead. Conditions like the age of the dishes, how often you use them, what you store in them and how long you store things in them can affect how much lead is released. Over time, lead the body cannot use or eliminate is stored in bones and teeth and may reside there for decades.

Although this not the answer, it may give some insight into how changing simple things like dishes can help.

As far as cooking, I think everyone here is right on! Cast Iron and Stainless Steel cookware can provide up to 25 or 30 percent of a person's daily intake of iron. Cooking acidy foods will help to break down the metal and release more iron.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom