Meat Sticking To My Grates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteerCrazy

Head Chef
I know this board has been around for some time and I hate to bring up old questions but I was wondering what I could do to prevent brisket and pork butt from stickin to the grates of my WSM. I have tried oiling it down, that doesn't seem to help. I do slather my meats and the slather contains brown sugar, could this make a difference? Any ideas??

Not alot you can really do, other than what you are already doing! I used to spray mine down with Pam but it didn't really do alot of good. So I just try to scrape them down as good as I can as soon as the meat comes off.

I flip half way into the cook. (that some how doesn't sound right) or you could turn them 180. that should help. I think the brown sugar would make them more sticky.

Jeff E said:
I used to have that problem too.
Now, whenever I'm done with a cook, I remove the center section of the WSM from the bottom (be careful that you don't spill the water pan onto the hot coals). I then put the cooking grate directly onto the charcoal ring. The hot coals will cook off the burned on food & you can use a grill scraper to get it nice & clean.

Good idea jeff......thanks for the info. I have rotated the meat during half the cook but near the end it always seem to stick. I'll have to put the grate on the ring at the end of the cook. Im planning on cooking brisket and pork butts next weekend.

Woodman said:
I started cooking only 1 lb briskets and butts. the less weight, the less they stick! :!:

If you cook your briskets in rib racks that sure cuts down on the sticking! 8-[

Woodman said:
I started cooking only 1 lb briskets and butts. the less weight, the less they stick! :!:
I want mine rare, baby! RARE!! :grin:

Burnt Food Dude said:
If I remember right, Alton Brown cooked a steak right on the coals. If you cook direct on the coals your meat won't stick on the grill. :grin:
Don't forget the blow dryer. :grin:

Woodman said:
Seriously though, the "flipping" thing does reduce the sticking.

I'm not disagreeing Dave, but how is this possible? I don't understand the logic behind this? Both sides of the meat have rub on them, both sides end up touching the grate once flipped? Maybe because the bark begins to harden on the top, then once flipped there's not much unmelted rub to melt and stick onto the grate?

Either way, I don't touch the meat or open the cooker once the meats on the pit. So I'm not going to start flipping just to prevent food from sticking. It's not that much of a hassle to clean the grates.

Back
Top Bottom