Meat The Vegetable

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-DEADLY SUSHI-

Washing Up
What is your favorite vegetable? What vegi do you serve the most?
And is price a factor?
Do you have one that you would like to incorporate more into your diet?

17.gif

I cannot pick just one, it is easier to say the ones I do not like such as okra, spinach and all leafy greens when cooked, and eggplant. I know there are others, but cannot think of them now, having a blond moment.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
What is your favorite vegetable? What vegi do you serve the most?
And is price a factor?
Do you have one that you would like to incorporate more into your diet?

17.gif
Those were your the questions, that was my answer....corn. And if you pull my hair one more time, I'm tellin. :?

tomatoes for me. gotta love that lycopine...

i would like to incorporate more green veggies in to my diet...

i love carrots w/ sage and browned butter sauce. especially extra-petite baby carrots.
early-pick baby spinach is good wilted just till it's vibrant greean in a little olive oil and minced garlic, with seasalt and freshly-cracked black pepper.
tomatoes, well i know they're really a fruit, but those are my absolute favorite. i love sliced, broiled tomatoes with my steak, baked tomatoes, tomatoes just sliced and sprinkled with seasalt and fresh black pepper, or sometimes just sugar, and tomatoes with Kraft cucumber ranch dressing and lots of pepper.
very lightly steamed green beans are awesome. i love to dip them into hollandaise as a snack. good stuff!
zucchini and yellow squash, steamed, buttered, and lightly seasoned are amongst my favorites.
i love blue potatoes just cause they're neat, and yukon golds for thier texture.
and greens! yum!
belgian endive is a good, too. most lettuces are pretty tasty.
price isn't a factor. if it looks yummy, i toss it into my cart or basket.
as for incorporating veggies into my diet, i pretty much eat them all, except for raw bell pwppers and brussels sprouts, with the exception of Hanover's frozen petite brussels.

debthecook said:
Everyone in my house hates beets, and I love them.

my parents eat beets with sliced white onion and vinegar. i hate beets. forgot about those.

When I first looked at this topic 'Meat the Vegetable', I thought somebody had got hold of a photo of my Mother Inlaw. Then I realised 'meet' was spelt different! :oops: Only joking, I get on really well with the old Death Adder.

I think it is funny that many, many years ago (like 40), Mom raised me to treat corn and peas as if they were a starch! Wouldn't the low-carb fanatics love her now!!! As it is, I'd say that tomatoes are my fave (and puh-leeze, let's not get into that fruit-veg thing. I know, I know it is a fruit. But we're talking about how we cook & eat, not botany, right?). When tomato season hits, I eat so many I get sores around my mouth! But I'd guess the only one I don't care for is okra, and any greens that get bitter when cooked (collards) (guess you can tell I'm not a southerner!!!).

i've heard a good but innaccrate quote that fruits are parts of the plant that have to do with it's reproduction, i.e. the seed bearing vessels, and a veggie is eating the entire plant itself.

Meat the Vegetable

I saw Debthecook mention beets. I've had them a handful of times in my life in a restaurant. I remember eating them with a thick sauce. I don't care for canned beets. How do you cook / prepare them?

Re: Meat the Vegetable

honeybee said:
I saw Debthecook mention beets. I've had them a handful of times in my life in a restaurant. I remember eating them with a thick sauce. I don't care for canned beets. How do you cook / prepare them?

boiled, skinned and sliced, with some sliced raw onions and malt vinegar.
also, grated with grated fresh horseyradish.
also, pickled, yummm, i love pickled beets.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom