Meat Thermometer Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dave3528

Assistant Cook
I have a dial meat thermometer that needs to be calibrated, but the tests on Google do not work because the thermometer does not read below 60 Celsius and not over 87 c, so both ice water nor boiling water tests work as they are not within the range. Any other suggestions on how to test the thermometer? Thanks.:ohmy:

Last edited:
Sounds like this is the type of thermometer you stick into the meat and leave in while it's cooking. If that's the case, you can only calibrate it with another thermometer you know to be accurate.

Consider buying a digital instant read thermometer that has a range the exceeds the boiling and freezing-points of water. It's a much more versatile thermometer on its own and can be used to measure the accuracy of your current thermometer.

Sounds like this is the type of thermometer you stick into the meat and leave in while it's cooking. If that's the case, you can only calibrate it with another thermometer you know to be accurate.

Consider buying a digital instant read thermometer that has a range the exceeds the boiling and freezing-points of water. It's a much more versatile thermometer on its own and can be used to measure the accuracy of your current thermometer.

I agree.

If that's the temp range, that is pretty useless.

You want to see the temps rise. 145F is the start of safe cooking, and that is too close to that number to even know where you are in relation to safe.

I don't think I've ever seen a cooking thermometer with that small of a window.

Like was said above. 10 bucks will get you a usable thermometer. 30 bucks will get you a nice one.

I have this one and love it.

javelin.jpg

https://www.lavatools.co/collections/handheld/products/javelin

Hi dave3528, and Welcome to DC.

I agree with all the others, I've never seen a thermomter with such a range. So it seems to me that it is faulty from the get-go. I would not trust it.

There are alots of suggstions for others.

Back
Top Bottom