Meatloaf but only ground beef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caitlyn

Assistant Cook
I am having the biggest craving for some meatloaf. Crazy I know but I'm pregnant and that stuff happens haha. All I have is ground beef, ketchup, bread i could dry for bread crumbs, but what else is needed? Never made one before!:wacko:

meat, bread crumbs (or cooked rice, oatmeal...some binder) some flavoring: onions or onion soup mix, some herbs like thyme, parsley, or more toward Italian flavors with oregano. Salt and pepper, an egg, ketchup or tomato sauce, or salsa or even soy sauce.

I like alot of veggies in mine. grated carrot,onion,celery,parsley.
A also like BBQ sauce on top versus ketchup.

Crackers work to for the bread or filler. I usally add sweet or regular potatoes to the same pan so they get flavored.

I am having the biggest craving for some meatloaf. Crazy I know but I'm pregnant and that stuff happens haha. All I have is ground beef, ketchup, bread i could dry for bread crumbs, but what else is needed? Never made one before!:wacko:

chopped onions (preferably sauted), probably a finely chopped garlic clove, an egg to bind the whole. Mom never bothered drying out the bread. She wet it instead, with water, and squeezed it into little pieces that she mixed with the bread, onion, egg, tomato sauce. She made the best meatloaf in the world! :)

Oh, and don't forget the salt and pepper!

When you get the whole thing together into a loaf, you'll need to bake it for an hour in a preheated 350 degree F. oven.

for 1 lb of ground beef I use:

a handfull of breadcrumbs
1 med onion grated
1 large egg
salt and pepper.

Mix all together by hand. Line a loaf pan with plastic wrap, fill with the mixture, unmold onto a baking sheet or baking pan.

Bake at 350 degrees until done (@ 1 hour).

The amount of filler you add will determine the final texture of the meatloaf. I don't care for a really soft, mushy meatloaf. But some filler is required to help hold everything together. For a beef meatloaf, yo may enjoy this.

1 lb. of ground beef
1 large egg
1/8 cup milk
1/4 cup bread or cracker crumbs
3 tbs soy sauce
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 stalk celery, finely diced
2 tbs. diced green pepper (or hot pepper if you prefer)
1 tbs. sugar
4 oz. mushrooms, chopped and cooked until tender (optional)

Combine and form into small patties. Bake or fry on stove top until cooked through. Serve with rice noodles and sweet & sour sauce.

For more traditional meat loaf flavor, cut the soy sauce to 1 tbs. and omit the ginger. Add a tsp. of ground pepper. Place in a loaf pan or into large patties for Salisbury Steak and cook until done through. Top with ketchup and cook five minutes more. (160' F. in center).

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I can't remember if I've ever even made a meatloaf. Maybe when the kids were little.

I'm going to have to give it a try.

If you're not using onion soup mix, this is a good place to use those dried minced onions.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm smoked bacon wrapped blue cheese meatloaf sounds fantastic!

My :chef:-in-law uses 1 lb GROUND TURKEY, OATS, 1/2 SHREDDED CARROT, 1 1 CAN TOMATOS, 1 CAN TOMATO SAUCE, 1/2 SHREDDED ZUCCINI, GARLIC, ITALIAN SEASONING, SALT, PEPPER, and of course an EGG. I don't want to give away the secret amount, but I will say that if you leave any of these ingredients out, it will not come out moist.

Your loaf NEEDS the TOMATOES and NEEDS the tomato sauce---use most of the 15 oz. can, but leave 2 inches for pouring over the top. The carrots add a bit of moisture, and also add a bit of sweetness. Of course, add a tad of SALT. :ohmy::ohmy:

The Italian seasoning adds a bit more interest to the flavor, and keeps me wanting MORE!!! :pig: The oats are a great way of getting whole grain wholefoods in your diet without any added flavor...it also helps hold the loaf together.

When you put your concoction into a pan, mound it towards the middle of the loaf; this will keep your loaf from being too thin and makes for a nice presentation.:angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom