Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
So I'm reading about this stuff on other forums, and would like your opinion....it just seems to me that with the pan covering 75% of the meat, it wouldn't get that smokey.

I've done it...used as small a pan as would fit the loaf...poked some wholes in the bottom and took it off the pan about an hour in to the cook! Turns out great!!! :D

actually Captain, meatloaf seems to be a smoke magnet. Go light your first time around.

What I have done with meatloafs is put them on parchment paper, trimmed to fit, underneath my meatloafs and it works great.

For some reason, I even get smoke ring on the bottom of the meatloaf. They don't sit and stew in their own grease either. Give it a go, I think you'll like it.

Check out my meatloaf pics here if you like. Parchment was not trimmed to fit in these pics, that suggestion is a refinement from the cook. What happened with this cook was that when I lifted and tipped the meatloaf, grease ran off down a side wall, hit the coals and ignited. If the parchment is trimmed to fit you can more easily drain grease to the water pan when you lift and tip the meatloaf.

My family LOVES smoked meatloaf. I use lean ground meat, make it southwest by adding cumin, garlic, a little red pepper and salsa instead of milk and serve it with corn chips and burrito fixings (diced-sliced veggies), fresh salsa guacamole and sour cream. It's awesome.

Thanks Shawn, I'm probably gonna do it today, and will use my kettle instead of the wsm. I've gathered a bunch of tips and will do my usual experimenting.

all rightey then....2 pounds of 80/20, 1 pound ground pork (not sausage), 2 beaten eggs, 1 small minced onion, 1 small can of FRIED ONIONS, a healthy dose of Cavenders.

That mixture is in the fridge while I pontificate. Any suggestions for additions?

By now I hope you cooked and ate it! I do like Greg and put them in disposable pans with holes in the bottom and dump them out 1 hour into the cook. I LOVE smoked meat loaf!

Captain Morgan said:
all rightey then....2 pounds of 80/20, 1 pound ground pork (not sausage), 2 beaten eggs, 1 small minced onion, 1 small can of FRIED ONIONS, a healthy dose of Cavenders.

That mixture is in the fridge while I pontificate. Any suggestions for additions?
well, just one though it is too late .... I like to use dry onion flakes instead of fresh .... fresh seems to make meatloaf crumbly but the dehydrated will help bind it together, although fresh has a bit better taste. Perhpas try the dry next time.

One more, mmmm, got pork in da mix .... coarse black pepper seems to love ground pork. Wish I could be there to try it out! Best of luck to ya.

Shawn

Well the fried onions helped....did 3 loaves about a pound each...but during the cook I got a phone call, and by the time I got back...
temps were up to 180. A lttle dry, but I did get a little smoke ring, and a decent flavor....I'll throw on a bigger chunk next time.

Nick Prochilo said:
Hey Capt. you might want to invest in a cordless phone :-D Glad it turned out good for ya!
LMAO! You can enter the Blue Room now.. :-D

Butt...Are you sure you want to??? :evillaugh:

Greg...

Captain Morgan said:

Obviously this is waaay too late for your first round. So, if you want to experiment more, here's my current favorite.

I like to form my loaf in the pan (I know, I know, sounds like a personal problem...) but before doing so I line the pan with bacon running perpendicular to the length of the pan. So, you'll have bacon hanging over each side of the pan. It'll take near a half pound.

After the pan is lined with bacon just gently pack (we don't want to smash it in, think of placing it in then gently, very gently, pushing it into place to prevent air pockets) your favorite loaf mixture in. Those loose ends of bacon now are brought over the top so that the entire length of the loaf in encased in bacon. All Emeril jokes aside, what's not better when encased in bacon? Place in frige for a few hours or more.

Remove from frige and set a plate on top of the loaf pan. Invert. Remove pan. You have a free standing bacon-encased loaf just begging to be qued. I like place the loaf directly on a pre-heated grate with high indirect heat to render the bacon a little crisp. Then, as the coals fade, the rest is cooked through slowly. Add your favorite wood, but it does take smoke fast this way. I never use more than one chunk. I think I cook to 145 F or so.

About 15-20 minutes before removing from grill/pit you can hit it with BBQ sauces or any number of simple ketchup concoctions. I like one that Alton Brown used in his TV show. You can find it at foodtv.com if you're interested. I advise a sweet(er) sauce here.

Hey Bob, does that bacon go all the way down in thos peppers ? I like the idea of a whole pepper so the fillings dont come out as things get warm...

I think they use it in their rubs...I guess it'd be a good thing if you were cooking inside in the wintertime and wanted some smoke flavor. I'm not a big salt fan, so I've never tried it.

Hey Cappie,

Want see my loaf! :)
Go to the board that Susan was banned from, and have a look at the smoke day title, and look for "Smoken on the north shore of lake Ontario"
I just thow a little foil, with some holes and a way you go :eek:
I love Meat loaf Sammies :D
Cheers =P~

Back
Top Bottom