Meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNoodleIncident

Senior Cook
what mixture of ground meat do most of you use for meatloaf?

i tend to use 90/10 or even 93/7 (beef or turkey), which i know is probably way too lean for most others' taste....we are having a big group over today, so instead im using 80/20, partly because i know most people (beside my wife and i) will prefer that, and partly because the really lean stuff is too expensive when cooking for that many people....my only concern is that when the loaf is done, its going to be sitting in a pool of its own grease...is this likely to happen? sort of grosses me out thinking of the meat sitting in that, and re-soaking alot of it back up

when we use the lean stuff, there is no pooling of fat at all...and its still very moist, probably thanks to the recipe

we can also debate over the best meatloaf recipe....like many people, im sure, i swear that my mom's is the best ever, and it might be...happy to share the recipe if people like

Last edited:
I put my meatloaf on a rack covered with foil, with holes poked in to drain the fat. No pooling.

I use a mixture of 80/20 and ground pork to make my mealoaf. Add-ins vary according to mood and what's on hand.

You can make the loaf and place it on a rack. I've also seen pans that have an insert with perforations that nests inside to allow drainage of fat. You might try something similar. you can add holes to an aluminum pan that would fit in your usual dish to elevate the loaf and allow draining of the fat while cooking. Good luck.

I usually use as lean as I can get. When I grind meat for it I cut as much fat as I can.

I do mix with some ground pork and veal as well so that might compensate.

Don't cook the meatloaf in a loaf pan.

I mix the meatloaf and put it into a loaf pan to shape it then turn it out onto a pan for cooking. This allows any fat to run off into the pan and gives you a nice crust on all sides except the bottom.

right, i never cook it in a loaf pan....i planned on placing the formed loaf in the middle of a large pyrex lasagna pan, which will allows the fat to run away a bit, but with a 7 pound (!!) loaf, i think there will still be enough fat to pool....rack with perforated foil isnt a bad idea, but i dont know if i have one big enough for the loaf...maybe i have 2?

btw, the crusty top and ends are the best

what does everyone dip the meatloaf in? im big on ketchup, occasionally bbq sauce, and i know others like gravy or nothing

You could cook the meatloaf on a broiler pan. That would allow the fat to run off and collect away from the meat.

I don't top my meatloaf with anything. The flavorings are in the meat.

right, i never cook it in a loaf pan....i planned on placing the formed loaf in the middle of a large pyrex lasagna pan, which will allows the fat to run away a bit, but with a 7 pound (!!) loaf, i think there will still be enough fat to pool....rack with perforated foil isnt a bad idea, but i dont know if i have one big enough for the loaf...maybe i have 2?

btw, the crusty top and ends are the best

what does everyone dip the meatloaf in? im big on ketchup, occasionally bbq sauce, and i know others like gravy or nothing

My last meatloaf had well drained and chopped chop suey veggies and pineapple in it and I glazed it with sweet and sour sauce.

Regular meatloaf, I use gravy, usually an onion gravy.

I couldn't tell you what percentage fat my beef is, but I always mix half ground beef and half ground pork. I use a pan and it's never swimming in flavor... err, I mean grease ;^)
I've been meaning to make a free form loaf one of these days.

ill occasionally make this really awesome asian style meatloaf....fresh ginger, honey, soy, cilantro, some other stuff....really good

You're making a seven lb. meat loaf? Why? Two "free form" three and a half pounders would work great on a broiler pan and be much faster cooking and easier to handle.
Good luck with your party.......everyone loves meatloaf!

yeah, ill prob make two separate loaves....but a single 7 pounder sounded alot more dramatic! mixing it was a chore - it was almost too big for my biggest bowl, and my hands were tired by the end

we have like 12 adults, plus two kids, so hopefully most of it will go

Seven lbs you should shape it into a pig and put an apple in its mouth ;)
That's a big meatloaf.

I used to make meatloaf quite a bit, and my wife still makes it now and then on her nights to cook. I originally used the blend of veal, beef, and pork, but after making half a dozen small loaves one day (of different composition) I found that I preferred a 50/50 ratio of just pork and beef. The veal just seemed to be overwhelmed by the pork and beef every time (plus it's more expensive!). So I use trimmed Ground Chuck (~85-90%) and trimmed Ground Pork Shoulder (~85%).

That said, being me I constantly tinkered with it to bring out my favorite characteristics. My final products ended up as either salisbury-style patties that I would heavily brown and then braise in onion gravy, or I'd start adding parmesan, peppers, tomato sauce, and end up with my meatballs! :LOL:

I guess whenever I'm eating meatloaf I can't help thinking how good it would be if the whole surface of my slice was covered in that brown outer goodness (and coated in brown onion gravy), or how much I was actually craving meatballs... :wacko:

I think many people either consciously or unconsciously makes this connection, making sweet & sour style meatloaf or serving it with a swedish sauce for example. Of course tomato-based sauces are also the obvious popular example.

Or maybe it's just that I ate dry-as-a-shoe meatloaf growing up and have a subconscious aversion to it's loaf-form...:LOL:

As for me, I want nutmeg in my meat loaf. Got the idea from my friends meatball recipe. Now I don't much care for meatloaf without it.

Sometimes I make my mum's recipe, modified of course, which uses beef and sometimes I make a Danish meatloaf with pork and wrapped in bacon. When I do the Danish one it's not in a loaf pan and we put potato wedges around the meat to soak up all that yummy pig fat. Mmmm.

I use 1 part Cuhdigi Sausage (1/2 lb. (it's a Yooper thing)) and 2 parts 80/20 ground beef (1lb.) Add to that dried oregano, sage, diced onion, diced jalapeno, , 1 tsp. ground cumin, and 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs, 1/4 cup 2% milk, one large egg, and 1 tsp kosher salt. Form it into a mountain top, with a crater on top. Bake in the oven until it's done (165' internal temp). Remove from the oven and fill crater with enchilada sauce, and drape string cheese in the lava rivulets running down the sides. Place back in the oven and back until the cheese is melted.

If I'm feeling energetic, I'll remove the meatloaf to a platter that has been spread with refried beans. Then use steamed broccoli flowerets stuck in the beans to create a landscape around the volcano. Serve hot and steaming with a good rice dish.

I've also made this recipe with an Italian theme. The version above, I call my Mexican Volcano. The Italian inspired version is called Mount Vesuvius.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I use 1 part Cuhdigi Sausage (1/2 lb. (it's a Yooper thing)) and 2 parts 80/20 ground beef (1lb.) Add to that dried oregano, sage, diced onion, diced jalapeno, , 1 tsp. ground cumin, and 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs, 1/4 cup 2% milk, one large egg, and 1 tsp kosher salt. Form it into a mountain top, with a crater on top. Bake in the oven until it's done (165' internal temp). Remove from the oven and fill crater with enchilada sauce, and drape string cheese in the lava rivulets running down the sides. Place back in the oven and back until the cheese is melted.

If I'm feeling energetic, I'll remove the meatloaf to a platter that has been spread with refried beans. Then use steamed broccoli flowerets stuck in the beans to create a landscape around the volcano. Serve hot and steaming with a good rice dish.

I've also made this recipe with an Italian theme. The version above, I call my Mexican Volcano. The Italian inspired version is called Mount Vesuvius.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

YUM, GW. Get MollyAnne to take pictures for Awesome Foods!

Back
Top Bottom