Medical Marijuana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was over 15 years ago, a slightly different period in time. I am sure now I would have no problems.

I brought it up again to The Pirate. "You want some Mom? I will go get you some right now."

"No, no. I was just curious. "

"You can get it anywhere today. It is all over the place. I don't know anyone who doesn't have some except you and me."

"No thank you, I will pass. Just curious."

I had to remind him that if it or any illegal drug was found in my apartment, it would mean immediate eviction. :angel:

I would hope these efforts would help to remove this negative feeling that you are doing something wrong when you look for, buy and partake in marijuana use.
I hope minds and hearts are changing.
Lets let common sense rule the day in this regard.

One thing to keep in mind for those who know nothing about marijuana and have no idea as to where and from whom to buy it. Use extreme caution.
Marijuana like all black market items can range from excellent quality to bad quality or completely fake. And those who know nothing about marijuana are susceptible to being cheated.

Never look for marijuana in a public place. Never discuss it with strangers and never allow it to be seen on your person or in your house or car.
The authorities need probable cause to search you or your residence. Your car too.
Giving them this probable cause is easy enough, so be very careful.

Interested parties should follow Addies idea of talking about these things with someone you trust. Even your doctor.
If you want or need marijuana, use a friend or close acquaintance to obtain the medication.
Look on the internet and see what quality high grade marijuana looks like. Ask a trusted friend or relative to assist you if you are not sure.

Until we make this legal in every state and there are no longer laws regarding the use and possession of marijuana, we must all be very careful.
There are many people in jails and prisons today for simply possessing this drug.
Hopefully the day comes we will no longer need to be concerned.
Until then my friends, be very careful.

Our voices and our ability to vote are our weapons in this silly war on drugs.
Do something this fall if you can. Start at the polls.

Last edited:
I can talk to my kids on just about any subject except with The Pirate and my death. Even sex!

I grew up in an era of when talking about birth control (in this state) could send you to prison. Even after the pill became available to women. The doctor could only prescribe it for menses problems. Not birth control.

I was determined that my kids would not grow up with this attitude. I could read my kids pretty good. And when something was bothering them, I would make the time to take them aside and just the two of us were all alone. Knowing that kids were hesitant to say certain words to their parents, I would be the one who would say the word or words first. As a result today I can bring up the subject of illegal drugs any time I need information. My kids probably know more than any professional. And I get a straight answer. Any of you know what a Chinese Popcorn Party is? Neither did I until I asked my kids. It is when kids take a handful of mixed pills they find in a medicine cabinet and take them all at once. Everybody raids their home medicine cabinet and dump the pills in a big bowl. Stir them all up and everyone reaches in for a handful. Six numbers on plastic? It is how high up you fill the syringe with the drug of your choice. And the term of "cooking" is not the same as we would use it. The world of illegal drugs has it own Rosetta Stone.

If and when I ever decide to turn to marijuana, I will ask my kids first. Then I know I am armed with the needed knowledge. :angel:

I can talk to my kids on just about any subject except with The Pirate and my death. Even sex!

I grew up in an era of when talking about birth control (in this state) could send you to prison. Even after the pill became available to women. The doctor could only prescribe it for menses problems. Not birth control.

I was determined that my kids would not grow up with this attitude. I could read my kids pretty good. And when something was bothering them, I would make the time to take them aside and just the two of us were all alone. Knowing that kids were hesitant to say certain words to their parents, I would be the one who would say the word or words first. As a result today I can bring up the subject of illegal drugs any time I need information. My kids probably know more than any professional. And I get a straight answer. Any of you know what a Chinese Popcorn Party is? Neither did I until I asked my kids. It is when kids take a handful of mixed pills they find in a medicine cabinet and take them all at once. Everybody raids their home medicine cabinet and dump the pills in a big bowl. Stir them all up and everyone reaches in for a handful. Six numbers on plastic? It is how high up you fill the syringe with the drug of your choice. And the term of "cooking" is not the same as we would use it. The world of illegal drugs has it own Rosetta Stone.

If and when I ever decide to turn to marijuana, I will ask my kids first. Then I know I am armed with the needed knowledge. :angel:

More parents should take your advice and talk to their kids. Really talk to them.
Since all my children are girls (women now) I left much of the discussion to my wife. It was awkward to discuss those things best left to mom.
But I did my best without being a hypocrite.

I smoked cigarettes back then and it was hard to warn about those dangers when i was smoking myself.
I also drank beer in front of them so it was hard to say "no" when I was doing it myself.

My only ammunition was they were to young to decide if smoking or drinking was allowed. It was not.
I also smoked pot. Never in front of them or in the house, but they knew.

I was lucky and all 4 girls are doing well. All grown up with children of their own. All swearing to not allow what my wife and I allowed, or turned our backs too. Basically remembering the things they did. Just like we learned from our past mistakes.

Well said Addie!

The secret to talking to your kids is to learn their language. I very bluntly asked one of my girls, "Have you been laid yet?" Do you think your kid would come to you using that language? "Ma, I got laid last night and I didn't like it." Of course not. It shocked my daughter, but it started the talk on sex. After that she could come to me whenever she had a problem with a boy that wanted sex and she didn't know how to stand up to him. It is hard to use their words. But it makes it easier for them to come to you and talk when there is a problem.

I also told my kids over and over, no matter how bad it is, I won't yell. And I will try to help you. First lets try to find a solution to your problem. We will worry about all the rest later on. And I didn't yell. When the Pirate got involved in drugs, I didn't yell. I got out the phone book and started looking for places to dry him out. He wasn't happy with my actions and decisions, but I told him he had already done his part and made his decision when he decided to pick up those drugs. Now it was my turn. I get to make the decisions. I can't tell you how many of his friends told me, "I wish my mother was like you."All she does is yell." If they said, "I wish you were my mother", I would correct them and tell them you wish your mother was like me. You don't want a different mother. You already love the one you have. It gave them something to think about.

Learn their language, speak it bluntly, and DON'T YELL AT THEM when they make a mistake. It will open their door to listening. :angel:

...it's legal here in AZ, but MAN, don't do it it while you're driving! I was coming home the other day and saw no less then THREE people smokin' their vapor pipes WHILE they were DRIVING in less than 15 miles, GEEEZ!
You have no way of knowing what is in those "vapor pipes". E-cigs can contain either pot or legal e-cig juice and would look exactly the same from the outside.

You have no way of knowing what is in those "vapor pipes". E-cigs can contain either pot or legal e-cig juice and would look exactly the same from the outside.
Good point. I was at a party on Saturday where someone was using a vapour pipe with a mix of nicotine and some flavour.

...it's legal here in AZ, but MAN, don't do it it while you're driving! I was coming home the other day and saw no less then THREE people smokin' their vapor pipes WHILE they were DRIVING in less than 15 miles, GEEEZ!

It's only available medicinally, and Arizona is one of the strictest states with only an estimated 20K people eligible for it to be prescribed to.

Yes, but ...

Here in AZ, there is a HUGE difference in appearance between the two.
As TATTRAT mentioned, pakalolo (crazy weed literal translation in Hawaiian) is highly regulated.
Were we live, there are loads of users, I mean poor souls who suffer from all sorts of ailments who need relief and I get that, I support that, but the thing is, why are you smoking while you're driving? That's called DUI and in some cases could cause a serious motor vehicle accident... can't you wait until you get home? and why would you smoke MJ on the road? If you're in pain you should let someone else drive at least, don't you think?
Funny, in Hawaii, social smoking is quite common and "Ain't no big ting braddah" as the late-great Don Ho would say... "Suck 'Em Up!" .. but I digress, sorry ...
okay, I'll get off my soap box now..:stuart:

Here in AZ, there is a HUGE difference in appearance between the two.
You might think so, but you would be wrong. These vapes are not state specific. You can buy any kind you like in any state you like. E-cigs are a HUGE market and there is absolutely no way of knowing, just by looking at the device, what is being vaped. It could be e-cig juice or it could be pot (in many different forms), but no one would be able to tell, but by looking at the device what was being vaped. That would be akin to looking at a a coffee cup with a lid on it and knowing whether it was coffee or water or coke or something else inside. The vaporizor is just the vessel. You can load it with a variety of substances.

Not so much the doctors, but surprisingly the budtenders at dispensaries are VERY knowledgeable. Also, sites like Leafly allow people to explore the strains based on user submitted criteria.

Yes, I understand they do know their stuff, but they are not doctors either.
Since medical marijuana needs to be prescribed or permission granted by a physician, why would they not be the one to decide what kind or what potency?

I guess my point is a doctor must write out a prescription and it must be detailed in quantity, type and milligrams for a certain RX drug for example.

When a doctor prescribes or recommends marijuana, would it not be beneficial to the patient if the doctor recommended what the patient needs in writing just like they do with a regular RX. Not what the guy at the dispensary advises?
I guess at this point, the dude down at the dispensary knows more than our doctors do.
I see this changing to. Maybe soon enough our doctors will be taught/trained in prescribing and or recommending MM.

Last edited:
When I get a 'script from a doctor, I don't bother asking about what I can and can't eat or drink with it, etc. I ask the pharmacist.

Yes, I understand they do know their stuff, but they are not doctors either.
Since medical marijuana needs to be prescribed or permission granted by a physician, why would they not be the one to decide what kind or what potency?
Because they are not the experts in this case and they know to defer to the actual experts. Marijuana medicine is not the same as other pharmaceutical medicines and to paint them in the same light just because they have the term "medicine" attached is wrong. Thankfully doctors understand that.

A doctor prescribes pot for many different reasons such as pain control, appetite help, depression, etc. There are thousands of varieties of pot. But for the most part they can all have a positive effect on the patient. Some will work better for others though, but it is just a matter of degree.
It is similar to a doctor prescribing Tylenol, but the pharmacist recommending a generic version.

When I get a 'script from a doctor, I don't bother asking about what I can and can't eat or drink with it, etc. I ask the pharmacist.

But your doctor writes the script with all the information regarding the filling of the script. What type of drug. How to administer the drug. The dosage and the strength ect.....
This was my point.

I will ask again. Should medical doctors that prescribe MM know enough about it to specify the strain or potency of the MM he prescribes or recommends?

I do understand that when this drug becomes completely legal for consenting adults, this will eliminate the need for a doctor "in the know".

I am also under the assumption that doctors only recommend MM and that might be why they need no extra training as far as prescribing or recommending MM.

A doctor will prescribe physical therapy to a patient, but it is the physical therapist who will determine the exercises the patient should do. Same sort of thing RB.

A doctor will prescribe physical therapy to a patient, but it is the physical therapist who will determine the exercises the patient should do. Same sort of thing RB.

Yes, but a pharmacist doesn't determine which medicines to prescribe. He just dispenses those the Dr. indicates.

Doctors have to get continuing education credits every year in order to maintain their licenses. I imagine that any doctor who prescribes MM will have undergone training on its application in their specialty.

Yes, but a pharmacist doesn't determine which medicines to prescribe. He just dispenses those the Dr. indicates.
Yes, but with Med Marijuana things are very much a grey area. It is not the same as other medicines. Just the method of administration alone is so different. How many other medicines are smoked (not that that is the only way to take med m)?

If a patient needs pot to battle the effects of chemo on their appetite, for example, then it does not matter if they use OG Kush or Purple Haze or this or that. They will all have the same effect on the patient to varying degrees. I am speaking in generalities of course. There are exceptions. But that is what the budtender is for. As for dosage, it depends on method of administering the drug. If it is smoked or vaped then the patient uses as much as they need until they feel the desired effects. It is not like swallowing a pill that you can OD on. The doctor does not tell you how tight to wrap the ace bandage. You wrap it so that your affected area feels better. Same with pot. If you have no appetite you take a hit of pot. If you still have no appetite you take another hit. Continue until you feel hungry. You will not OD as it is impossible to OD on pot.

CBD heavy pot is the exception, but any doctor worth his degree will absolutely tell their patient that they need pot with more CBD if that is why they are prescribing it. Those are very rare cases though and the doctor would absolutely know and talk about that specifically and not leave it to the budtender. However as long as they get CBD heavy pot then the strin does not matter. It is all personal preference at that point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom