Memorial Day Weekend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
Just wondering what kind of plans those of you from the U.S. have for this weekend. I know there are a lot of family reunions, cook-outs, people camping, etc. over the long weekend.
My son-in-law's birthday is Monday, which gives Kim an excuse to smoke some baby back ribs. :-p
I'm planning corn on the cob, baked beans and a salad of some kind to go with...can't decide between 7 layer, potato, or pasta.

We're going to a wedding down in Oregon.

WHY do people get married on holidays? The drive is going to be HORRID!!!

Well, I don't want to start the summer with grill overkill - lol - so my dining plans for the weekend start with tonight's eagerly awaited meal of jumbo LIVE soft-shell crabs, sauteed & served with shoestring potatoes & a green salad.

Tomorrow will be gorgeous dry-pack sea scallops seared on my cast-iron grill pan & served with a little dollop of homemade pesto on each scallop. With that I'll probably serve orzo garnished with a drizzle of white truffle oil, & parmesan-crumb-topped broiled tomatoes.

For Memorial Day we're planning to grill hot Italian turkey sausages outside & make hero/sub sandwiches out of them, topping them with grilled sweet Cubanelle frying peppers & grilled sliced sweet onions. Plan to serve that with my favorite homemade macaroni salad.

The weather is going to be perfect this weekend. We just opened our pool on Friday so I will be spending part of the weekend vacuuming it and getting it nice and clean.

I am also going to expand the garden by about 60% this year so I am hopefully going to get started on that today. Maybe I will plant some stuff too.

I am sure we will be grilling at least a few times this weekend also. I love this time of year!!!

we will be getting in the first cutting of hay and remembering the holiday. Not time for any cooking but I have plenty of leftovers in the frig, pizza and mac and cheese (aged cheddar for those interested!)

Like GB, I am doing alot of gardening. I planted tomatoes and peppers today. Mostly have to catch up on weeding since we've had so much rain. Other than that, cooking on the grill Sunday or Monday.

We don't have any plans for the weekend. We'll grill some ribs, make some potato salad and baked beans on Monday.

texasgirl said:
We don't have any plans for the weekend. We'll grill some ribs, make some potato salad and baked beans on Monday.

Sounds like we're on the same wave-length, Texas. I gave Kim a choice of salads, and he asked for potato salad.

I bought a beef filet, some hamburger patties and hot dogs and have a chicken to broil, so I don't really know just what we will cook for the holiday. I also got some corn, new potatoes, fresh green beans and the new crop Vidalia onions. I'm sure we will come up with a menu. Also, I got a basket of fresh peaches so I may make either peach cobbler, or fresh peach ice cream. Once we decide what to eat, we will swim enough to get really hungry . My dd, sil, gd and gs will be with us and I'm sure we will have lots of fun. Hope all of you do also.

Lawdy, girl! What a feast of food!

If you're having company one night, I'd feed them the burgers and dogs, and save the tenderloin for your immediate family or very closest friends.
The roast chicken will be great for lots of meals next week.

Today was a cookout with steak and chicken on the grill and a trio of cookout salads and corn on the cob. SO made a chocolate cake roll with a patry cream filling.

We'll take a day trip wither Sunday or Monday to enjoy the scenery at some nearby spot.

I am going to the City Gazebo in the Town Square early Memorial Day. There are 13 streight parralel lines in the cement between it and the Highway. When I first saw it I thought of the Flag. I therefor got some red, white and blue sidewalk chalk and am making an American Flag on the side walk near the Gazebo in the town square where people driving and walking by can see it and rememberthe importance of being an American and respecting thopse arround us, and those who have helped us become the Nation that we are today.
God Bless America Long May She Wave ...

I am going to the City Gazebo in the Town Square early Memorial Day. There are 13 streight parralel lines in the cement between it and the Highway. When I first saw it I thought of the Flag. I therefor got some red, white and blue sidewalk chalk and am making an American Flag on the side walk near the Gazebo in the town square where people driving and walking by can see it and remember the importance of being an American and respecting those arround us, and those who have helped us become the Nation that we are today.
Then I will take part in the Memorial Day Ceremony at the Cemetary on Main Street where the first Memorial Day Celebration was held.

God Bless America Long May She Wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ...

Constance, I wasn't going to have the whole caboodle, just hadn't made up my mind. Your suggestions are very good ones and that may be the way I go. DH had wanted steak today, so when I saw the filet at a good price, I thought perhaps we would cut that into steaks, but that wasn't the cut of steak he was wanting, so the filet is in the freezer and I picked up some more for him to grill tonight. Thanks for your suggestions.

Tomorrow, it's shopping for goodies, then toys for Ethan who will be 2 on monday,where did that 2 years go? Monday we are just having a family birthday at my daughters house for Ethan, comfy and easy, grilling hot dogs, chicken, hamburgers, salads that kind of thing. Looking forward to watching the kids play and enjoy their laughter.

kadesma:)

i'm new to this city & my loved ones are in another. so i'll be having my usual meals. i asked my Mom to bring me stuff they're cooking. Mom's potato salad is delicious! i'll put 'er recipe in another forum.
have a safe & happy Memorial Day!:)

Last edited:
Happy Memorial Day Weekend, everybody!

I live pretty close to the town of Boalsburg (Pennsylvania), which is alleged to be the Birthplace of Memorial Day. Not gonna bother explaining the history of the town; you can Google it yourself! But I intend to head out there for a few hours during the day---they have parades, bands, re-enactments, funnel cakes, etc. Makes for a very pleasant afternoon.

Afterward, my sis, her hubby and their kids are coming over (I also invited a few friends and co-workers; they haven't RSVP'd yet). I have three boxes of one-third pound angus chuck burgers, which I picked up cheap at my local Wal-Mart. I'm making some dilly potato salad this evening, and I may make some pasta salad, too. I wish I'd thought about baked beans sooner! We've also got ample corn-on-the-cob around here, so I'll probably grill a few ears.

Oh, yeah, and beer!

--J

(for you history buffs that have JUST gotta know)

http://www.boalsburg.com/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom