Menu For Voluntary Self-Containment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night - enchilada casserole.

Tonight I'm thinking about making goldenrod eggs (aka creamed eggs on toast) and light cabbage w/fruit salad - sort of a nod to depression cooking and serious comfort food.

For the salad: Chiffonade some fresh cabbage, julienne some red plums or apples. Toss and add a squeeze of fresh lime juice.

The salad should provide a nice counterpoint to the creamy egg dish.

How to chiffonade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV2xH_Ig9v8

Day Twelve ...

It was a quick bowl of cereal and some yogurt this morning,
as DH had a Doctor's Appointment that WASN'T cancelled
by his office.
I was not allowed in to the office, they asked for patients only,
so I didn't go along.

IMG_5670.jpg

Lunch

I had some leftover Bacon from the other morning's
breekie, so it was BLT on toasted Rye for DH,
sans the Mayo
and White toast for Moi, excluding the T :LOL:
There were Chips of the diner's choice and
Ice cold Coca-Cola to boot :yum:

IMG_5664.jpg

IMG_5680.jpg

Dinner

... was leftover Lasagna from the other night and
since I ran out of TJ's Ciabatta Bread,
I used some Ciabatta Rolls from the Supermarket
that I had in the Deep Freeze to make Garlic Bread.
SSHHHHH!
Don't tell DH that there's BUTTER :ohmy:
on there along with the Garlic
HE ATE IT
HEH MICKEY!!

Last edited:
It's been that long??

I just had a doctor's appt. for today cancelled, and one a week away at another doctor. Both said "until further notice", so it's not ending soon.

I've been busy with other things, so meal planning isn't something I've been doing. More leftovers from the freezer, and salads.

Last edited:
I am bound and determined to not waste anything. USE IT ALL!

Tonight we're having a Strata (savory).

We have some elderly bread that needs to be used and I found a few random things in the veggie bin and cheese drawer.

Onions, 4 mushrooms, 5 spears of asparagus, goat cheese, sundried tomaoes and a few greek olives.

Mix in the eggs, milk, seasoning and bread - it's soaking in the fridge now prior to baking and I will add some cheddar jack on the top near the end of the bake.

Serving it with last nights cabbage salad and a bottle of full dry Riesling. it's been one of those days.

We have some elderly bread that needs to be used and I found a few random things in the veggie bin and cheese drawer.

Onions, 4 mushrooms, 5 spears of asparagus, goat cheese, sundried tomaoes and a few greek olives.

Mix in the eggs, milk, seasoning and bread - it's soaking in the fridge now prior to baking and I will add some cheddar jack on the top near the end of the bake.

Serving it with last nights cabbage salad and a bottle of full dry Riesling. it's been one of those days.

I never heard of strata before. I checked Wikipedia. This sounds very interesting. It also sounds like you have more of a method than a recipe. Any tips? How many eggs? How much bread? How much milk? How long in the oven and at what temperature? I'm assuming that the quantities are variable, but that you have an idea in your head of what seems right.

Day Thirteen

I'm thinking that once we hit the 2 week mark,
we're good, I think.
But I probably will sit tight for awhiles longer.

IMG_5681.jpg

Breakfast

I decided to make a large-ish morning repast
:yum:
This is my plate, which you could tell, because there's
butter on my Toast :LOL:

We skipped Lunch again today ...

DSC00856.jpg

Dinner

Since we didn't have lunch, dinner was early today.
Grilled marinaded Salmon Fillet,
steamed Green Beans
and the ever present steamed White Rice.

IMG_5673.jpg

Dessert

... will be Land O Lakes recipe Chewy Jumbo Chocolate
Chip Cookies with some Arizona Pecans added in.
I really like this recipe, ALOT!

Janet, that's a great way to use up bits and pieces!
I've never made Strata before

I never heard of strata before. I checked Wikipedia. This sounds very interesting. It also sounds like you have more of a method than a recipe. Any tips? How many eggs? How much bread? How much milk? How long in the oven and at what temperature? I'm assuming that the quantities are variable, but that you have an idea in your head of what seems right.

Here's a recipe that sort of resembles what I made. I usually wing these.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cheesy-kale-and-mushroom-strata

Strata is essentially savory bread pudding. The base is a simple uncooked custard of milk, eggs and cheese. Add seasonings and interesting veggies or precooked meats (sausage is common) and then a bunch of chopped up bread.

Assemble in a casserole dish and let it mull in the fridge for a few hours or overnight and bake at 350 until it's puffed up and cooked. "mulling" allows the bread to become one with the custard.

You can scale this up or down as needed. tonight I used 6 egg, about 1 1/2 cups of milk and cheese (unmeasured but maybe a grated Cup). The bake time was about 45 minutes.

There are no leftovers. :)

Here's a recipe that sort of resembles what I made. I usually wing these.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/cheesy-kale-and-mushroom-strata

Strata is essentially savory bread pudding. The base is a simple uncooked custard of milk, eggs and cheese. Add seasonings and interesting veggies or precooked meats (sausage is common) and then a bunch of chopped up bread.

Assemble in a casserole dish and let it mull in the fridge for a few hours or overnight and bake at 350 until it's puffed up and cooked. "mulling" allows the bread to become one with the custard.

You can scale this up or down as needed. tonight I used 6 egg, about 1 1/2 cups of milk and cheese (unmeasured but maybe a grated Cup). The bake time was about 45 minutes.

There are no leftovers. :)

Thank you very much. I'm going to have to give this a try. I don't think the recipe is necessary, but it's undoubtedly a useful starting point.

Day 10 - I've gained 1.4 pounds! (I weigh myself every Sunday) Dang it all!
I finally got brave and stepped on the scale today. Surprisingly, I didn't gain anything! Sadly, I didn't lose anything either, in spite of eating less (I think). Maybe my scale is stuck...
DH: Gee, it's taking much longer to walk around you lately.
I got to use this on Himself today. He laughed because he knows it isn't true. However, I'm always walking around him because he's always in my path!

I finally got brave and stepped on the scale today. Surprisingly, I didn't gain anything! Sadly, I didn't lose anything either, in spite of eating less (I think). Maybe my scale is stuck...

I got to use this on Himself today. He laughed because he knows it isn't true. However, I'm always walking around him because he's always in my path!

:LOL:
DH likes to poke fun at me, he knows which buttons to push :ROFLMAO:

humor66.jpg

Day 14 and I'm DONE!!!

We have not come in contact with anyone for 2 weeks now
and I'm DONE!
Granted, I will still practice "Social Distancing" but I NEED
to get out of here!
At least go for a drive out in the country, or something where
there's no other folk, just to be out and about.

IMG_5687.jpg

Breakfast

For myself, I went with a nice, comforting bowl of
Congee or Jook. This is a Chinese dish, basically
it's Rice and Turkey Porridge, I call it YUM!
DH can't stand the stuff, so he had cold cereal :mellow:

IMG_5694.jpg

Lunch

I was out of any sort of Lunch Meats, and we were both
Jonesing for an Italian Hoagie!
Entire our local Pizza joint with take out!
I spruced it up with some Olive Oil, Oregano and Hot Peppers.
:yum:

IMG_5695.jpg

Dinner

I grilled some Ground Beef Patties and scratched up
another local-style comfort plate of
Hamburger Steak Plate!
MAYBE there'll be cookies later for dessert, we'll see :rolleyes:

This is what I roasted up now have to make a weeks worth of meals with Turkey

Attachments

• B2490523-3380-4992-BF29-F88DD83F6BB7.jpeg
    B2490523-3380-4992-BF29-F88DD83F6BB7.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 121
Cheese Ravioli with Baby Back Ribs, Meatballs, and Sausage

Cheese Ravioli with Baby Back Ribs, Meatballs, and Sausage

1st time putting bb ribs into spaghetti sauce. with the fat that rendered did not need any olive oil. great taste!

Attachments

• IMG_7499.jpg
    IMG_7499.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_7497.jpg
    IMG_7497.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_7496.jpg
    IMG_7496.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7495.jpg
    IMG_7495.jpg