Menu I made

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:) Iron Chef !I dissagree I think thyme can be way over whelming I think a simple white wine risotto with the right amount of fresh garlic is the way to go. I agree the fish is overpowering where as a great salad might be better.How ever Im trying to work with the kid and let him do his thing.I also believe if you can displace the fish with a bit of bread and keep it really mild it can work.But you need to tone it down a bit or maybe alot.

:) I think you need to master the classics in order to evolve once you have mastered the classics then you go out to make the classics even better, then you evolve outside of those but you can only do that after you know the basics and have the appreciation and a good understanding of what works then you get more creative and its not easy.Its an appreciation of these that work and then you learn that what you love can make you learn how to make foods come together and then create to make it even better.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Iron Chef !I dissagree I think thyme can be way over whelming I think a simple white wine risotto with the right amount of fresh garlic is the way to go.

Can you point out where in my post that I said thyme is NOT overwhelming? Any flavor can be overwhelming if you put too much of it. I said that lemon is a nice compliment to thyme and would add more flavor to the risotto than just thyme alone.

jpmcgrew said:
I also believe if you can displace the fish with a bit of bread and keep it really mild it can work.But you need to tone it down a bit or maybe alot.

I have no idea what you're talking about by this statement. How can you displace the fish with bread? Displace means to remove. You're saying that by removing the salmon and adding bread--not to mention keeping the bread mild--the dish will become better? Now if you were to complement or supplement the salmon with bread, that's a different story.

:) Ok! Mr. Smarty Pants!I heard what you said but I gave my opinion I meant it can be easy to over do the thyme also I dont know if dried or fresh or how much hopefully fresh will be used if its dry its easy to over do it.
Your right I did not mean to say displace but as you said to compliment.
Relax! its a food forum not english 101.

tsi88kid said:
I'm serving the Salmon raw.

I might want to cure it though considering normal people might not like raw salmon.

Do you think there is such a one as a 'normal person'?:LOL:

As a few others have said: Make up your own dishes. That way no one can compare it and it's truly your own.

Jeekinz said:
As a few others have said: Make up your own dishes. That way no one can compare it and it's truly your own.

I 100% agree. You will also have a deep satisfaction at having worked so hard and I'm sure, so successfully.:)

ironchef said:
Unless you stick in an intermezzo or another course between the salmon and chicken, I don't like the progression of flavors between the two....

Ok now on the serious note: Intermezzo was exactly what I was thinking. Light sorbet would work really nice.

Csalt, yep I think I am sorta a normal person. OK, maybe not as normal as ABC, but certainly ABnormal. Yeah, that describes me.

After thinking about the menu, and I would not opine but opinions were invited, is that it sounds a bit busy, at least for me.

I believe were I going to do such a thing, and I am not capable of it, I would concentrate on taking the simple and making it elegant. Shunning the tendency towards pizzazz. but making the dishes seem simple. I appreciate a chef who can just take ingredients and bring out their flavours without a lot of fru-fru.

Just my take on the matter.

well heres the thing I was thinking I might be able to do a beef carpaccio as an appetizer. I went to the ACF meeting today and we had a 5 course meal and beef carpaccio was part of the 1st course and i loved it.

Also I understand that I need to be making my own things and i love being creative and making the presentation look great however I really enjoy making the classic french and italian dishes especially french. Until I learn more about classical/traditional dishes I dont want to go crazy overboard.

I have rethought the creme freche and grey poupon sauce and I am thinking about going with with a creme freche and lemon infused sauce if I stick with salmon so that the flavor of the salmon will be sort of toned down. If I was going to make a beef carpaccio I think I would serve it possible with a Bernaise sauce.

When I said Creme Fraiche and lemon juice infused I ment combind the Creme Fraiche with the lemon juice and zest.

Beef appetizer, then fish, then meat agoin, mmm, not a good idea in my book. Fish comes first then meat, no mixing.

:) Why does it hafto to be a meat or fish appetizer ?It could be something else with vegetables or cheese or something Phyllo dough or puff dough filled with something like artichoke.aparagus or mushroom and some french cheese filling.Like a great salad {small} and something with the above to go with it.
Cheese ramekins? Possibilities are endless.

I really want to do a carpaccio so I will do just the beef carpaccio. I will not use the salmon anymore.

Also I will probably do a reduced balsamic vinager over the beef carpaccio it should be good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom