Mix coconut oil with crisco/or/marg - mint patties?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JudySmith

Assistant Cook
Hi all: :unsure:
Can i mix coconut oil with crisco or margarine? Such as in peppermint patties?

If so, what would be a good ratio of coconut oil (to crisco or margarine) so that it should come out tasting good?

(I know there are recipes calling for corn syrup which are supposed to taste like York patties, and i'm wondering if that may be preferable.
I think the easiest would be "peppermint slices"
consisting of two outer choco-layers (simple ones)
...and a middle York-pattie type layer

...but i can't find such a recipe online.
...rather just exotic types such as https://wholefoodsimply.com/peppermint-slice/

I think slices would be easiest, rather than having to keep dipping them in chocolate. Likewise, i easily make yummy craizinettes by simply slicing them into small squares.

i would rather mix unsalted butter, and coconut oil. It Will give a better flavor with the cooling sensation of the coconut oil to go with the peppermint.

Plus, I feel real butter, and coconut oil are healthier than margarine, and Crisco.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief Longwind, thanks, I'm aware of that, but i wanted it non-dairy.

Actually, i made it by now (using coconut oil + marg),
...and omitted the food coloring

...but as it turns out, it wasn't that which was the problem. Rather, the alcoholic peppermint extract is proving to be hugely problematic for me. Proved to be days of wasted effort, all because of the alcohol!

Is there any way i can effectively evaporate the alcohol from the peppermint extract? (McCormick) - and from the brownies too?

The extract has been giving me such burning hearburn, that my esophagus probably further eroded, as i'm prone to bad esophagitis and that's aside from my additional laryngial neuropathy. Two nights ago, after eating a mint-brownie, it woke me up, gasping for breath with likely anaphylaxis. No, not Corona! More like Alcoholona! Aside from that, both peppermint and chocolate are also associated with hearburn, except i've eaten those plenty of times without such an extreme reaction. By comparison, with this mint brownie, I actually feel hot alcohol regurgitating into my esophagus, and cooking it.
:yuk:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried crushing peppermint candies, or candy canes in a mixer, then dissolving the powder in hot water. This should give you the flavor you desire, without the alcohol. you van add as much, or little of the candy as you want too.

The following link is for pure peppermint, not an extract:

https://mountainroseherbs.com/peppermint-powder

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Mint flavour is an oil, so fresh mint leaves crushed into a flavourless oil might work. But, mint flavour can be very strong. I made mint jelly. I crushed a few fresh mint leaves and just dragged them through the hot jelly and that gave plenty of mint flavour (but no colour) to my mint jelly.

Thanks for the input, but i'd prefer to salvage the extract thru the best means possible. I actually had bought two bottles.

Re: the peppermint candy, hypothetically speaking, how would that be applied (step-by-step) in this mint-brownie recipe that i made which eroded my esophagus?

Regarding the herbals, I've never been into herbal gardening, and also I'm not about to buy the herbal powder version at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you add the extract to the cooking syrup, the alcohol will boil ogg, leaving just the mint flavor for your fudge. For a peppermint patty style candy, this looks like a good recipe. i would, however, heat the peppermint extract in a liitle bit of coconut oil to boil off the alcohol, then add that to the peppermint cream filling mixture, as the alcohol gives you problems,

https://www.dinneratthezoo.com/peppermint-patties-recipe/

Seeeeyal Chief Longwind of the North

Amoretti, a company I used to work for, makes virtually alcohol free extracts. It's a bit pricy, but it's highly concentrated, so you would use less than with the alcohol based product.

Last edited:
Chief Longwind, re: the coconut oil.

how do i "boil off" the entire bottle in coconut oil? Any step-by-step instructions anywhere? If i don't get exact instructions, i'm at a loss.

Back
Top Bottom