Mobile Browsing and ads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I am curious. If I am browsing the forum with a mobile device and decide to let it download the app that is supposed to make viewing better with phones, tablets and the like... if I don't like it can I simply uninstall the app? Will the forum always try to run using that app if it was installed and bungy things up because I know longer want to use it?

And as an aside, has anyone noticed how the banner ads so closely follow our patterns? Almost in a Big Brother kind of way :ermm:
A couple weeks ago I was browsing Amazon daily for pots, talking about pots, and every banner ad until today has been for one pot or another. Circulon mostly, which is what I ended up getting... :ermm::ermm:
And now they are about Sous Vide cooking appliances :ermm::ermm::ermm: I haven't even looked into those, only replying to the thread.

Do you still see those banner ads with mobile browsing if you install the app, or does it block them to neaten up the page?

Thanks for any help or insight.

I really like the DC app for iPad/iPhone. And yes, you can easily uninstall it, it's still available in the iTunes store. I would imagine it's similar with Android. You can choose to not use the app and still leave it on your devices. And if it's being quirky, it's easy to uninstall then reinstall it.

The app has no ads. It also lacks a few of the features of the regular site, but then I just bring up the regular site if I need to. I have not yet figured out how to do multi quotes on either :blush:

Banner ads actually DO monitor your browsing habits!

I say go for it, Pac, get the app!

Last edited:
I really like the DC app for iPad/iPhone. And yes, you can easily uninstall it, it's still available in the iTunes store. I would imagine it's similar with Android. You can choose to not use the app and still leave it on your devices. And if it's being quirky, it's easy to uninstall then reinstall it.

The app has no ads. It also lacks a few of the features of the regular site, but then I just bring up the regular site if I need to. I have not yet figured out how to do multi quotes on either :blush:

Banner ads actually DO monitor your browsing habits

So if I am using my iPad to browse the site and can't do something I would like to do... I can simply revert back to the actual webpage and leave the app installed? Is there a way to toggle between the two?

So if I am using my iPad to browse the sight and can't do something I would like to do... I can simply revert back to the actual webpage and leave the app installed? Is there a way to toggle between the two?

Sure. You bring the site up in your browser (Safari or whatever) and leave it there, or bring it up in your history. Also, the app will take you to the actual site when you click on, say, a link to a thread in someone's post. Not always, but often.

I am curious. If I am browsing the forum with a mobile device and decide to let it download the app that is supposed to make viewing better with phones, tablets and the like... if I don't like it can I simply uninstall the app? Will the forum always try to run using that app if it was installed and bungy things up because I know longer want to use it?

And as an aside, has anyone noticed how the banner ads so closely follow our patterns? Almost in a Big Brother kind of way :ermm:
A couple weeks ago I was browsing Amazon daily for pots, talking about pots, and every banner ad until today has been for one pot or another. Circulon mostly, which is what I ended up getting... :ermm::ermm:
And now they are about Sous Vide cooking appliances :ermm::ermm::ermm: I haven't even looked into those, only replying to the thread.

Do you still see those banner ads with mobile browsing if you install the app, or does it block them to neaten up the page?

Banner ads also show up right here. As I was reading your post, there was a banner ad for Mobile apps and Circulon pans. And if I type in "Kellogs Cereal" there will be a banner ad for that when I hit "submit reply." Big Brother is watching us. :angel:

Here's a screen shot using the app, very neat and clean ( except for the fingerprints....)

image-2824582320.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool, Dawg. Thanks.
Maybe I'll give the mobile version a whirl as long as I now know I can go back if I don't like it.

Sometimes I'll be out shopping and hit an information website to double check something. I've always been afraid to answer Yes about using the mobile app in case I lost access to all their features... plus I'm simply more familiar with getting to where I need to get on the *real* website. As long as I can drop it if I don't like it I'm good :)

I loaded the DC app on SO's iPad then decided I didn't like it so I deleted it. I much prefer using Safari for DC.

I use the Android app and it works quite well, just have to remember to refresh the page, it doesn't always do it on its own when you launch the app. It does most of what I need it to do.

I haven't loaded it on my tablet, it's big enough that the regular website is easy to use.

I think part of the reason I love the DC iPad app so much is that it's how I first discovered DC. I'd looked up something on DC in Safari and it said there's an app for that, so I downloaded it. I was not used to navigating the regular website, and when I first perused the site, it came as quite a shock, nothing like my sweet little DC app!

I have been using the the DC mobile Ap on my iPhone for a long time now. It's very user friendly. I rarely use the regular website, except to access some of the features that aren't as easily accessible on the mobile ap, or if I want to use a full size keyboard on the PC or laptop. I particularly like the "current threads" selection, I can keep up with everything new that way.

I have been using the the DC mobile Ap on my iPhone for a long time now. It's very user friendly. I rarely use the regular website, except to access some of the features that aren't as easily accessible on the mobile ap, or if I want to use a full size keyboard on the PC or laptop. I particularly like the "current threads" selection, I can keep up with everything new that way.

Exactly!

Banner ads actually DO monitor your browsing habits!

I say go for it, Pac, get the app!

Thanks Dawg.

I used the app on the iPhone all of the time, but didn't like using the app on the iPad after I installed it. I just deleted it and had no problems. BTW Dawg, I don't know how to use the multi-quote on the apps, but can use it on my iPad when going to the regular site. That is a plus I guess. Another BTW, I love my new iPad! It is amazing how much easier it is to see the bigger screen. I was doing so much on that little iPhone. :LOL:

I used the app on the iPhone all of the time, but didn't like using the app on the iPad after I installed it. I just deleted it and had no problems. BTW Dawg, I don't know how to use the multi-quote on the apps, but can use it on my iPad when going to the regular site. That is a plus I guess. Another BTW, I love my new iPad! It is amazing how much easier it is to see the bigger screen. I was doing so much on that little iPhone. :LOL:

Show-off! Sure, just multi quote away, Chopper! :LOL:

I agree, the iPad is SO much easier to use than the iPhone, glad you love it too. Also, I find I can type better on my iPad than on the PC or the work laptop. My iPhone, not so much either, that tiny little keyboard...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom