Mobile Food Selling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robbdj

Assistant Cook
Has anyone here had any expirence with mobile food vending? Not just hot dog carts, but like a decent menu, grill, etc?

We have a mobile "Shrimp Shack" on the north shore that makes big $$$$$$.

So have I. We've been talking about it alot recently, but want to find someone who's done it before for some guidance. There's all the health code stuff, etc. Especially since there is a couple diffrent states we'd like to operate in. Something I've never done before. We found a place in Alabama that looks like it builds some awesome looking tow-behinds, that you can have customized six ways from Sunday.

We have a few local guys who vend BBQ and have a few friends across the country that vend BBQ. We are considering doing the same thing, since it may be an easier route to go than a resturant.

First thing I would recommend is check with your local health dept. Most health depts from county to county or state to state are pretty much the same. You will most likely need to have a commissary to work from.

yeah, I've seen the "commisary" requirment before. But I'm not sure what is ment by that. Can you explain?

What that means is, you can't prepare it at home. You must be working out of a commerical kitchen, or a kitchen that has been health dept approved and inspected.

That's how it is in PA, too, rainee. Makes it hard for us little guys who'd like to start something on the side! Robbdj, I've heard of people renting space in church kitchens, before, as an affordable--yet health-department-approved--alternative.

churches, VFW, American Legions are a few places you can check with.

Even some resturants will rent you a little space.

There is a company here in Eugene called Fresco, and it is a cute little black and green and gold cart. They make thai sandwiches, either with chicken or vegetarian only. They are abolustely wonderful. The are in 3 different sites here. They put a mix of carrots, cabbage, onions, etc. on the vegie along with some other stuff, forgot exactly what. They also offer bags of chips and bottled sodas. Also a plus, $4.50. The sauce they use is awesome.

wasabi said:
We have a mobile "Shrimp Shack" on the north shore that makes big $$$$$$.

I don't know wasabi ... seems like anything would be good on the north shore.. thats Hawaii right?

I've always wanted to do something like that. but never had the credit to get going.

GaArt.....Yes, north shore on Oahu, home of the monster surf.

Anybody here familiar with the "roach coach?" That little vending truck that comes to business places during breaks and lunch. I've never met anyone who has passed up the "roach coach." Hot sandwiches, soup, ice cream, cold drinks, chips, and candy...etc.

Anybody ever sell spudnuts? How about candy bars? You can print out your own candy wrappers.

Schwann's is a company that sells meat/seafood etc. and delivers it to your door. You can also buy off the truck when it's in the neighborhood even if you haven't placed an order.

The cost of insurance and license is not all that much. It's just a bit intimidating. There are a lot of little commerical sites where you can set up a kitchen.

We had a caterer start out in an old furniture store in an older area of town. Now they are on main street in a nice restaurant.

Never been impressed anywhere else (yes, we called them all roach coaches) but some of the plate lunch wagons in Hawaii are to die for. Very international in flavor. Hey, Wasabi, do they still farm the shrimp right there? Schwanns is very popular almost everywhere I've lived, although I've never bought from them. My older friends, especially those who are widowed, like the convenience of having a freezer full of nutritious (yes, their catalog has all the nutrition counts for meal planning) meals that only require a bag of greens for salad to make complete.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom