Monday, 1/31/2011, What's making it's way to the table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
We will be having a reply of last night: pasta of some fashion, garlic bread and salad.

Any plans?

i luv pea soup, pacanis. & garlic bread, too.

i'm making a sammich. 'iggle deli turkey, mayo, lettuce, tomato, pepper-the usuals. unless i could get a veggie sub, hmmmm!

I haven't had split pea soup in probably 25 years luvs :ohmy: I'm really looking forward to it.
And in case anyone is wondering, split pea soup wasn't a soup either I or my family made. I had it at somebody's house I was doing some work in. That's one job I wish I could have stretched out :LOL:

send me a bowl, pleez!!!!!

How bout I send you the ingredients and you send me the bowl?

:LOL:

Besides, you shouldn't be eating anything green this week. It could be bad luck for your boys in black and yellow ;)

I received 4 cans of Bruce's Yams (sweet potatoes) so I will attempt to make a savory sweet potato soup.

I've got a chicken thigh just coming up to a simmer for chicken broth. As soon as it starts to boil, I'll add garlic and a chopped onion.

Since the sweet potatoes are packed in syrup, I'll drain and rinse them as I really want more of a savory soup.

I found GoodWeed's recipe that uses Cumin, so I'll add that. I don't have coriander though, so I'll see what else might taste good with it.

tonight it is turkey soup (made the broth last week) with escarole, cauliflower, carrots, celery, and wild rice. Popovers.

Poker game finger food tonight- mushrooms stuffed with cream cheese and jalepenos, wrapped in bacon, lil smokies wrapped in bacon and sprinkled with brown sugar, meatballs with a cube of cheddar in the middle, wrapped in bacon, all cooked on the grill and served with BBQ, and sweet and sour for dipping. Also going to have some chips and dip for munching. Mmmmmmm

Well, the savory sweet potato soup was originally supposed to be for tonight, but it was so quick to make I'm having some for lunch. The cumin definitely makes it more savory as well as the chicken broth.

I'm going to take the rest of the chicken broth and make another pot of that wonderful cream of garlic soup.

lol, I'm wondering if my split pea soup will make it to dinner tonight, Z.

Great sound finger foods, skittles.

A take on cabbage rolls w/ paprika gravy. Instead of using cabbage as wrappers we are using fresh collard greens from our garden.

Craig

Round steak cooked with canned diced tomatoes, onion, garlic, and parsley (and a dash of soy sauce if we have any), served with Jasmine rice and either broccoli or California blend vegetables.

:)Barbara

A take on cabbage rolls w/ paprika gravy. Instead of using cabbage as wrappers we are using fresh collard greens from our garden.

Craig
:cool:
This funny I was wondering this morning when I was looking at the garden if I could use collard greens they are so pretty. Let us know how it works.

Josie

It works great, we've already had them. You have to cook them for 3-4 minutes in salted boiling water and then remove all most all of the center stem. Overlap the gap when rolling.

They can also be used to make creamed greens, like creamed spinach. They have to be cooked much longer though.

Craig

Last edited:
Thanks for the feed back. I cook collard greens in the pressure cooker quite often. I will definatley try your cabbage (collard) rolls. Cream collards sounds good also.

Josie

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom