Monday Supper 2019 August 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Once again it is quite late and no supper thread.

I made up a large batch of vinaigrette with herbs, and garlic and onion powders. Some of it is for later this week, but some of it was used as a marinade for some pork chops we had for supper. Once I take the meat out of the marinade, I heat the left over marinade and simmer it to kill any microorganisms so I can safely use it as a sauce (or sometimes as the base for a sauce) for the meat. :yum:

We heated some dal bukhara from Kitchens of India to have something more than meat on the plate. That black lentil curry was really good and actually went very well with the pork chops. That whole meal was delish.

What did you have for supper?

Empanadas and Burnt Cheesecake

IMG_1585.jpgIMG_1587.jpgIMG_1588.jpgIMG_1586.jpgIMG_1589.jpg

IMG_1591.jpgIMG_1592.jpgIMG_1593.jpgIMG_1594.jpg

My book club meeting was last night. I'm not feeling up to cooking yet, so I had DH pick up some hummus and pita chips from the grocery store. That and other goodies people brought was dinner.

I'm prepping for a procedure on Wednesday so, my meals have been very bland ( rice and eggs, etc.) for a few days and I will be fasting Tuesday..

I will be hitting a good diner Wednesday afternoon, for certain.. ;)

Ross

Neighbours had a huge anniversary gathering so brought some food over. I picked the wildrice hotdish (not casserole, it had ground beef instead of ham, chicken, or shrimp), added broccoli and mushrooms, made Dad a tossed salad, Mom had fruit.

Gotta be from MN to understand the subtle difference between wildrice hotdish and wildrice casserole.

We went out to eat yesterday. We ended up only going for a drive. The little clam shack we headed to down on the RI coast was out of clam strips by the time we got there. :glare: Also out of whole belly clams - which I don't eat, but Himself would have taken as an acceptable substitute.

I started pouting. :LOL: Ended up driving back home, where I "cooked". We had salads and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Hub and I had corned beef, cabbage and potatoes. DD's had corned beef on rye sandwiches.

The little clam shack we headed to down on the RI coast was out of clam strips by the time we got there. :glare: Also out of whole belly clams - which I don't eat, but Himself would have taken as an acceptable substitute.

Bummer. IMO, whole clams is the only way to go. Have you tried Kimball's (Sterling) for their clams? I've found them to be pretty good and close by.

Ew, I'm decidedly not a whole-belly clam fan, bbq. Himself is OK with them.

Did you mean the Kimball's in Lancaster? I didn't see one in Sterling on the map. Anyway, it's only 10 miles closer than heading down to Misquamicut Beach, and Lancaster isn't exactly beachfront property. ;) It also involves driving through Worcester instead of CT. We avoid Worcester unless we absolutely have to deal with crazy city driving. We're on empty country roads through CT and RI for about half the drive - nice and relaxing.

I took a quick look at Kimball's menu - surprisingly (or maybe not), prices at Kimball's are $2-$4 higher than they are down on the beach.

Did you mean the Kimball's in Lancaster? I didn't see one in Sterling on the map. Anyway, it's only 10 miles closer than heading down to Misquamicut Beach, and Lancaster isn't exactly beachfront property. ;) It also involves driving through Worcester instead of CT. We avoid Worcester unless we absolutely have to deal with crazy city driving. We're on empty country roads through CT and RI for about half the drive - nice and relaxing.

I took a quick look at Kimball's menu - surprisingly (or maybe not), prices at Kimball's are $2-$4 higher than they are down on the beach.

Yup, meant Lancaster. For me, Kimball’s is the next town over so I can’t beat the location if I have the urge for seafood. The increased prices probably reflect the transportation costs from the coast to inland. They are very generous with their portions so that could be another factor. So for clam strips at $17.95, what is the cost at Misquamicut Beach?

Back
Top Bottom