Monday's Dinner - 10/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
White Rice with a Chili Moat
Deli Three-Bean Salad
Chili & Rice 10-10-22.JPG

Bean burger on ww bun, ketchup, mustard, tomatoes, dill pickle slices. Brownies.

Canadian Thanksgiving today, so we had turkey, but not the traditional way. I made Hot Brown sandwiches and served them with coleslaw. I used Chef John's recipe. I used wholegrain bread, 'cause I'm not about to buy a loaf of white bread just for one meal. I made two other variations. I used skinless boneless turkey breast instead of skin on. I'm sure that if I wasn't ordering online, I would have been able to find some turkey breast with the skin on, but I do order all our food online, so ... I also don't own any individual sized, oven proof dishes, so I made all of it in one oven proof pan. It was good. I'm not sure what purpose the bread serves. I will probably make this again, but minus the bread. We are both stuffed. I had never made a Mornay sauce before, but it was easier than I had been led to believe. Oh yeah, that was another variation. Instead of all whipping cream, I used 240 ml of crème fraiche mixed into some 10% cream. It was still delightfully rich.

Hot Brown sandwiches and coleslaw.jpg
Hot Brown sandwiches and coleslaw2.jpg

The last of my au gratin potatoes and zucchini, squash, sweet potatoes, diced onions, and diced ham. Half a Costco blueberry muffin and a walk for dessert.

We're having fish & shrimp (from the freezer section) along with baked potatoes and white Shoepeg corn. Not fancy, but it will fill us up...after pastrami sandwiches that we had for lunch!

Freezer found a package of Sea Scallops - so old I couldn't read the dates. So encrusted with ice crystals I couldn't tell how many were in there. :oops:
Defrosted enough to see 3 of them. Took them, threw the rest back in the freezer. They were a little funny shaped when I shaved off the freezer burn. And were DELISH! amazing!
Also made a Pancetta-Wrapped Leek Gratin. Also delish but for some reason the sauce broke. I've made this several times before and sauce had never broken before.
Didn't get a pic of the scallops but here are the leeks...
20221010_150523.jpg

Freezer found a package of Sea Scallops - so old I couldn't read the dates. So encrusted with ice crystals I couldn't tell how many were in there. :oops:
Defrosted enough to see 3 of them. Took them, threw the rest back in the freezer. They were a little funny shaped when I shaved off the freezer burn. And were DELISH! amazing!
Also made a Pancetta-Wrapped Leek Gratin. Also delish but for some reason the sauce broke. I've made this several times before and sauce had never broken before.
Didn't get a pic of the scallops but here are the leeks...
View attachment 62084
Odd question, how do you wash those pieces of leek? Leek are always a bit of a nuisance, since there is so often dirt between the layers. And if you don't mind, would you post the recipe?

I have a stinky cold. Had couple bites of a McD cheeseburger for dinner and 3 spoons of coffee ice cream for dinner. I really didn't want to eat.

Back
Top Bottom