Monday's Dinner - 8/8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
97 degrees !!
No Stove Tonight !

Chef's Bowl !
Diced Deli Turkey, Ham & American Cheese,
Lettuce, Tomato & Onion... and an Egg....
Wally's Brand of "Zesty Italian" Dressing (Not Recommended...)

Got Roast Beef also, but decided to
save it for Roll-Ups tomorrow ...

Salad, Chef's 8-8-22.jpg

Not sure what I will have. Ate a HUGE portion of potato salad, which was way too much for my tummy. So I just might have a few crackers later on.

Hot humid, thundershowers off and on. Wilt.

Don't know about dinner yet, but lunch was simple and deliscious. My son caught a couple of nice Northern Pike while camping. He cleaned and cooked them up at camp. Pike are all muscle, with few guts. There's a lot of meat. He saved me about a half pound and brought it home. I haven't eaten pike in years, though I used to catch them from our front yard as a teen in Michigan.
The flesh is white. Flaky, and firm, very moist, an is deliscious. I heated up a four inch square slab in tje microwace for all of 2 minutes. I seasoned it simply with just pepper, as it had already been seaoned with salt, and I wanted to taste just the fish, not any dauce., or condiments. I'm glad I did that. It tasted good enough that nothing else was needed. The only thing that could have made it better is if I could have cut some round potato slices, and made them into what we called, American fries, cooked until lightly browned, in butter. Even wiyhout the spuds., I really enjoyed the pike.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I made a sort of gumbo dish tonight, using many things out of the garden, plus a few things from Aldi's. I started by liquifying a lot of tomatoes with some fresh marjoram and thyme. Then starting a sauce, in the Instant Pot in sauté, with a large chopped onion in olive oil, followed by a large chopped bell pepper and 6 finely chopped jalapeños and a few stalks of celery, chopped. Then I added about 1/2 c finely chopped garlic scapes, and 3 tb tomato paste, and cooked about 2 minutes, then added the tomatoes. I also added 6 fresh bay leaves, some ground cloves, some more thyme, and let it simmer while getting all the rest of the things ready - peeling and cutting up the bottle gourd, cutting up the okra, and cleaning and pre-cooking the pound of cremini, and pre-cooking the pound of sausage (did those in a wok, so this wasn't a one pot dish). The gourd is added on slow cook high for about 10 minutes, then the okra was added and cooked for 10 minutes, then the mushrooms and sausage was added, and about a half cup of red lentils, to thicken the sauce, and cooked about 20 min. I also stirred in the 2 c of Mizuna, that I chopped up and spun dry.

The night before I had cooked 1 1/4 c of brown rice, with 5 bay leaves, then cooled, and refrigerated it. That was broken up, and added to this, and I let it sit for about 10 minutes, before serving a bowl of it.
A type of gumbo started up, with bottle gourd, okra, and eggplant added to the tomato sauce. Cooked mushrooms and sausage go in last. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Added about 1/2 c red lentils to the gumbo, to thicken - cooked rice goes in last. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Hard to believe that this mizuna still hasn't bolted, in this incredible heat this summer!
Mizuna, chopped up and added to the gumbo, to cook at the end. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished gumbo, after resting the stirred in, cooked rice for 15 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Don't know about dinner yet, but lunch was simple and deliscious. My son caught a couple of nice Northern Pike while camping. He cleaned and cooked them up at camp. Pike are all muscle, with few guts. There's a lot of meat. He saved me about a half pound and brought it home. I haven't eaten pike in years, though I used to catch them from our front yard as a teen in Michigan.
The flesh is white. Flaky, and firm, very moist, an is deliscious. I heated up a four inch square slab in tje microwace for all of 2 minutes. I seasoned it simply with just pepper, as it had already been seaoned with salt, and I wanted to taste just the fish, not any dauce., or condiments. I'm glad I did that. It tasted good enough that nothing else was needed. The only thing that could have made it better is if I could have cut some round potato slices, and made them into what we called, American fries, cooked until lightly browned, in butter. Even wiyhout the spuds., I really enjoyed the pike.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm pleased to read that you got a chance to enjoy some pike. I wish someone would list the potassium content of potatoes that don't have any skins. I have noticed that every listing of potassium in vegis that I have seen lists "potatoes with the skins". I suspect that peeled potatoes have a lower average potassium content. I have the opposite problem from you. I don't seem to get enough potassium. If I don't take a supplement, I will wake up with leg cramps many times during the night.

taxy, try magnesium tablets for the cramps. They help me most nights. Also, silly as this sounds, Mrs LMB mentioned years ago (miss seeing her around here...) that a bar of Ivory soap, tucked under the fitted sheet at the foot of the bed, stops leg cramps. It has worked for me, even if I run out of magnesium for a week or so.

Had a longer than usual day running errands in the nearest "big" town, which is an hour away.

Last week Glenn suggested we use some of our restaurant gift cards to get some carry outs. So, today we availed ourselves of an Outback Steakhouse card.

I came home with a lovely sirloin steak, mixed veggies, French fries, bread and butter.

It was nice not to have to prepare a meal since I didn't get home until 4 p.m.

The meal was fabulous and I didn't have to do a thing!

taxy, try magnesium tablets for the cramps. They help me most nights. Also, silly as this sounds, Mrs LMB mentioned years ago (miss seeing her around here...) that a bar of Ivory soap, tucked under the fitted sheet at the foot of the bed, stops leg cramps. It has worked for me, even if I run out of magnesium for a week or so.

I take magnesium as part of my calcium supplement. I vaguely remember shoving a bit Ivory soap inside my sock. I think I would have kept it up, if it had worked. But, the potassium does a pretty good job, as long as I get the right kind. Potassium citrate works better for me than potassium gluconate does.

Fried chicken strips, green beans, and Caesar salad.

fried_chicken_080822_img_9915-jpg.51902

These little, I'm guessing, peppers are so cute and tasty. Start off sweet then finish with a hot zip!
Plus the hot marinated mushrooms, focaccia. So that is what I ended up with for supper.20220809_103334.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom