Monosodium glutamate questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
hi
is there only one variety of the ingredient?

can you put it on chicken tights that will be smoked and then roasted at high temperature?

what are some other uses for it?

why it doesn't tastes amazing with tomato soup? it combines into a weird processed food taste.

i like to add it to red lentils dal too.

shawarma in the pan also benefits from this (i like my shawarma with bahar/baharat)

share your ideas with us

thanks

Last edited:
MSG is a chemical product, so there´s only one form of it, as far as I know.
Naturally, it occurs in many products, specifically cheese and tomatoes. Your tomato soup may taste odd because you´re adding more MSG to something with a lot of MSG in it.
This side of the pond, it´s mostly found in Chinese and Japanese food.

It's sold on the North American continent as a seasoning called Accent. Yes it is used in many Asian recipes. However, it adds a great flavor to many soups, stews, fried meats, root veggies, sauces, and gravies. It adds a umami flavor to foods.

And just so it's understood, all things on this planet are chemicals. A chemical name is simply the scientific name of an item. Water is a chemical, as is salt, as is protean, and everything else. Your body is made up of a myriad of chemicals. There are helpful, and harmful chemicals. MSG has bee shown to be safe.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE, can you find Asian style fish sauce where you live? A dash of that might taste better in tomato soup. No, a small amount of fish sauce won't make your food taste fishy. It has a lot of that naturally occurring MSG. It is similar to the ancient Roman condiment, garum.

S-T-B Glutamic Acid is an amino acid that is actually produced in our bodies when we don't
have enough of it (thus it's not an "essential" aa) - MSG is just one of a number of salts of the amino acid, which is also produced naturally within our bodies. However, back in the 70s (or before?), bad info came out that MSG was causing everything from diabetes, to high blood pressure, to scizophrenia, to just about every other disorder, and supposedly was the cause of the infamous "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome". Later, it was found that these were untrue, but restaurants to this day have signs "No MSG"!

As taxlady noted, fish sauce is a natural source, as are many other naturally fermented products. Soy sauce is another, as well as many other fermented soy products. And cheese is another, with one of the highest in glutamates being parmesan - no wonder that stuff is good on so many things! I'm sure they could overfeed mice with parmesan in a study, and say that's harmfull, due to all the sodium in it!

As for that fish sauce, stay away from what I call "fake" fish sauces - same thing with soy sauces. In the fake versions you will see hydrolyzed vegetable protein, plus other things. With the versions that have been naturally fermented you will just see listed simply Fish,salt, or with soy, simply Water, soy, salt, and often wheat, and a natural color, for dark types. The fake sauces are made quickly, by adding acids and enzymes to the fish, plus whatever those vegetable proteins are, and they get the sauce in under a week, while the natural fermentation takes a couple of years.

This is my theory for that "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome" many people used to come down with. I got a terrible headache one time, when I made a Thai meal, using a new fish sauce, that was one of those fake brands, recommended by a well known CB author. A friend that also had the meal with me also got a headache, but wasn't even going to mention it, because he would get headaches on a regular basis, but I never get them! We figured out that the fish sauce was the only new item in the meal, and we each ate a little more than 2 tb of it. The headache took about 3 days to totally go away, and a couple weeks later I took about 1/2 tsp of the sauce by itself, and got a slight headache from it. And, while I never got a headache from a Chinese restaurant, I'm sure there are many that use similar "fake" soy sauce, and with someone who is sensitive to similar ingredients, it could trigger a headache. While it's not necessarily the hydrolyzed vegetable proteins causing this, seeing that listed in the ingredients will tell you that it's not natural fish sauce or soy sauce - two good sources for MSG.

Dave, I have a question about the headache you got from that fake fish sauce. What was the headache like? Exactly where did you feel the headache? I used to react to food with MSG added to it, though I don't anymore. It was a very distinctive sensation. I don't want to say more at the moment, so I don't bias your recollection.

Last edited:
taxlady, that headache felt like I had been hit in the back of the head! The only things that ever did this to me in the past were a couple of medications I had been prescribed, but went away quickly, as I'd only take one dosage, then got something else. I thought it was really strange how long this held on, but my friend, who was prone to headaches, said that was not unusual for him. That was before the days I discovered capsaicin for pain, or I would have chewed them for it!

taxlady, that headache felt like I had been hit in the back of the head! The only things that ever did this to me in the past were a couple of medications I had been prescribed, but went away quickly, as I'd only take one dosage, then got something else. I thought it was really strange how long this held on, but my friend, who was prone to headaches, said that was not unusual for him. That was before the days I discovered capsaicin for pain, or I would have chewed them for it!

That's not an "MSG headache". What would happen to me was that all the muscles around the edges of my face would start pulling in opposite directions. It was very weird, but not painful. I was talking to an acquaintance who had just come back from a resto. She told me about a weird sensation on her face and scalp, that was all the muscles pulling in odd ways. I asked her if the resto she had been to was Chinese. She said, yes, it was.

Personally, it only ever happened to me once in a Chinese resto. I had the soup. Usually I would tell them that I was sensitive to MSG and they would make sure that they didn't add any to the food I was served. I actually sought out Chinese restos, because they were good about keeping the added MSG out of my food. I would get caught in regular restos by MSG in gravies and sometimes in salad dressings. They had no idea what I was talking about. The sensation was so specific that I knew. I first got the sensations before I had ever heard that people got "headaches" from MSG. I suspect it was from chemically synthesized MSG. MSG comes in two isomers. Maybe the chemically synthesized one was the "other" isomer. They only chemically synthesized MSG for a while. Nowadays, the commercially available MSG is produced by bacterial fermentation. That would be the naturally occurring isomer. I wouldn't be surprised if some people were getting a headache from "fake fish sauce" and thought that was from MSG. I have met a number of people who got the same kind of weird reaction to MSG as me.

Last edited:
thank you all
i'm reading it....

i didn't knew its name in N America is "Accent".

in ISRAEL people consume it a lot but don't know about this ingredient much.

a lot of snacks and powdered "chicken" bouillon have loads of it.

i guess one of the most common snacks is BISLI or its alternatives

Last edited:
thank you all
i'm reading it....

i didn't knew its name in N America is "Accent".

in ISRAEL people consume it a lot but don't know about this ingredient much.

a lot of snacks and powdered "chicken" bouillon have loads of it.

i guess one of the most common snacks is BISLI or its alternatives
It's still MSG. Accent is a brand name.

I have it and use it sparingly. I know a lot of the products I use have it listed as an ingredient. I never thought I had an issue with it, until one time I used more than I usually do, and developed a headache. I did a few experiments on myself and realized that the excess MSG was the source of the headache. Wasnt debilitating, but uncomfortable, annoying and avoidable, so now I use with caution. I do believe it has its benefits.

I have it and use it sparingly. I know a lot of the products I use have it listed as an ingredient. I never thought I had an issue with it, until one time I used more than I usually do, and developed a headache. I did a few experiments on myself and realized that the excess MSG was the source of the headache. Wasnt debilitating, but uncomfortable, annoying and avoidable, so now I use with caution. I do believe it has its benefits.

I see recipes where people use a whole packet of Goya Sazon and that makes my head explode. A packet lasts me a month. You literally only need a tiny pinch -- like 1/16 of a teaspoon -- to up the umami.

I have not gotten headaches, but food that has too much MSG added to it tastes very off and unpleasant to me.

Still, I add MSG to most savory things I make.

Back
Top Bottom