Monster Pork Chops and a new trick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bknox

Head Chef
Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my f
This may not be exactly grilling but certainly partially grilling. I saw a cool trick and was wanting to try it out. I may have cooked these a bit long but next time perfection. Luckily my wife purchased these really thick pork chops and in my reading up on how to cook them through without destroying them I saw something very interesting.

PorkChop_9_27_13.jpg

These are to thick to grill and keep them juicy, even though I brined them as well, so what I found was this. Braise them until they are cooked (USDA- 145 degrees minimum for safe pork) and finish them on the grill. But to get the nice brown color and what looks like a longer slower cook I mixed 1 teaspoon sardine paste into 1 tablespoon honey. Worry not the sardine flavor did not come through the seasoning I was using. I used this mixture as a baste just before grilling and again when I flipped them. According to America's Test Kitchen the proteins in the sardines allow for easier browning as they are already broken down and at that stage, ready for browning. I thought this was a nice trick for finishing on the grill and if you were not standing there would not know the difference.

That is one good looking pork chop. Would be nice to see a video of it though. Its been too long since you posted one.

There aint no pork chop ever been cut too thick to get grilled at my crib. Thanks for the clarification on the fishy species. There was a big thread going around a few years back on Tuscanny Steak..which also used anchovies but seemed to be more beef oriented. Always meant to try it. Will put it to work on those thick pork chops.
AMORE TUSCAN STEAK WITH ANCHOVY SAUCE | Amore

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom