more on comfort foods...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luvs

Master Chef
i'm fairly certain this subject was already brought up, but it's just such an
awesome topic, i wanted to re-kindle it. :D
i love my Dad's city chicken, my baked macaroni and cheese (it's full of butter and Cabot's Seriously Sharp and a milder cheddar and cream and whole milk), Great Northern beans with lots of garlic and black pepper (canned ones are the best imo), meatballs and marinara sauce w/out the pasta, stuffed cabbage rolls minus the cabbage, mashed red or Yukon Gold potatoes with pork chop gravy, and thick legume-based soups like split pea, lentil, and black bean.
these foods fill you up so fast, though, you know? then the other people in my family devour it all before i get a chance to have more later on half the time.

how about home made rolls with tons of real butter slathered on 'em...along with a good cup of Penzy's hot chocolate.

spaghetti and meatballs
my mom's chicken fricasee with bicuits or dumplings
bacon and eggs and toast and coffee and fried potatoes.
mac and cheese (luv's sounds great. is is posted?)
burgers
roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy.
I could go on, but you get the idea. Alas, I don't eat much of any of the above anymore, but they bring back some good memories. :)

Turkey Stuffing
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
Navy Bean and Bacon Soup
Cabbage Rolls
Stuffed Grape Leaves
Swedish Meatballs and Potatoes
Kraut,keilbasa,and mashed potatoes
Clam Chowder
Cored Beef and cabbage ith mashed potatoes

red beans and rice, ham hocks
bread pudding
mac and cheese
vanilla ice cream, hot fudge, and roasted peanuts
oatmeal, brown sugar, raisins, cream

luvs_food said:
i'm fairly certain this subject was already brought up, but it's just such an
awesome topic, i wanted to re-kindle it. :D
i love my Dad's city chicken, my baked macaroni and cheese (it's full of butter and Cabot's Seriously Sharp and a milder cheddar and cream and whole milk), Great Northern beans with lots of garlic and black pepper (canned ones are the best imo), meatballs and marinara sauce w/out the pasta, stuffed cabbage rolls minus the cabbage, mashed red or Yukon Gold potatoes with pork chop gravy, and thick legume-based soups like split pea, lentil, and black bean.
these foods fill you up so fast, though, you know? then the other people in my family devour it all before i get a chance to have more later on half the time.

Luvs, My mom used to make a dish she called city chicken. I've asked for the recipe but, she can't remember making it or what was in it. Do you have a recipe that you could post. I remember really loving it as a kid.

Thanks, Trish

pdswfe,
they have a pre-packaged city chicken meat in the grocery store. it's veal and pork cubes with little sticks. but my Dad just uses country (pork) ribs. you soak wooden mini-skewers, then cut the fat from the ribs, cube the meat (about 1"x1"), thread about 4 cubes onto each skewer, dip it into slightly beaten egg, then in seasoned cracker meal. shallow fry till nice and golden brown, drain on paper towels, and lightly salt immediately.

i saw them on tv last night using ground meat. i don't know about that.... they didn't look very good.

luvs_food said:
pdswfe,
they have a pre-packaged city chicken meat in the grocery store. it's veal and pork cubes with little sticks. but my Dad just uses country (pork) ribs. you soak wooden mini-skewers, then cut the fat from the ribs, cube the meat (about 1"x1"), thread about 4 cubes onto each skewer, dip it into slightly beaten egg, then in seasoned cracker meal. shallow fry till nice and golden brown, drain on paper towels, and lightly salt immediately.

i saw them on tv last night using ground meat. i don't know about that.... they didn't look very good.

Thanks! :D

My top three comfort foods...

vanilla ice cream,
warm chocolate pudding
and
almost any type of warm home made soup. Chicken noodle is the best.

DampCharcoal said:
Mud! "vanilla ice cream, hot fudge and roasted peanuts." Dairy Queen has that, they call it a "Peanut Buster Parfait!" Mmmm, I miss that!

I used to love those! I'd order it with out the nuts and have them add extra fudge though.. so I guess, I really love hot fudge.

Dad and I used to order hot fudge sundaes with out ice cream too. Chocolate is so good. Think I was 13 the last time I did that.

LOL! Pds, the middle school I went to was 150 feet from a Dairy Queen! We ravaged that place! We could see the employees go into panic mode from the second floor when the school bell rang! I also miss Snicker's Blizzards. 8)

Oh man...now you have me jonesing for a Pecan Cluster blizzard!

Do you have Maxwell Taylors restaurants there? They used to make a Peanut M&M sundae that was to die for yummy.

Back
Top Bottom