Most temperamental food items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
what i am thinking of is mushrooms. They seem to spoil fast and i have heard people getting very sick from mushrooms. They scare me a little bit but I use them occasionally and always cook them usually saute with onions. Any other tempermenta.temperamental items to watch for?

I buy whole stemmed mushrooms - cremini and white button varieties.
the supplier used to put the pack date on the carton, and one could count on 10-13 days past that before they would get spotty.

now the supplier puts a sell by date on the carton, and I look for a date at least 7 days out from day of purchase.

proper storage also helps - I have a ventilated container, I put a folded paper towel on the bottom so they don't sit in moisture.

people don't get sick from store mushrooms, people get sick/die from the self-picker/forager who does not know what he's doing.

sliced mushrooms go bad much more rapidly - I never buy them.

ditto on the avocados . . .

I agree on the mushrooms. I store mine in a brown paper bag in the fridge. As they age, they tend to dry out rather than spoil. I also buy whole mushrooms. Check the package to see if they look fresh. Check for dark spots, a sign they are getting older.

Never had problems with mushrooms.

Besides Avocado it is Pears that one day are green next day are spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom