MSG? Good or Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Andy said it perfectly.

Most people do not suffer any ill effect from MSG. Many people think they do, but it is all in their head. There ARE people who truly do suffer from MSG though. i am not saying that does not happen. The media made a huge deal about it though and blew it out of proportion so everyone started thinking they must suffer from it. The mind is an amazing thing and if you tell yourself you get a headache from something then you will actually get a headache.

I love using MSG in my cooking. It is a flavor enhancer just as salt is a flavor enhancer. It is not a necessary ingredient, but it can certainly enhance a bland dish and boost it up a bit.

me confused lol

Nick, buy a small amount of MSG. When you make your hot and sour soup, split the batch in two and put MSG in one. Do a taste test.

If you like the MSG batch better and don;t get aq headache, you're home free.

You will have a ball when you can get into it full time. It's frustrating during the construction but sooo nice when it's all done!

It is in so many processed foods that it is hard to avoid it sometimes. I don't use it when I cook things from scratch, and have heard conflicting ideas about it. Some say it's bad, some say there is nothing bad about it.

It is advised that pregnant women avoid it. It's bad for my son because if it's not made in the U.S. it usually contains gluten, which he cannot eat. Other than that I don't know.
This is one of those misconceptions people have about MSG.

MSG Safety

I use Accent, an MSG product to tenderize food and have never had a problem. I think some people think MSG is a problem without truly knowing what might be causing their reaction.

That's interesting. I've never heard of the tenderizing effects of MSG.
I didn't say MSG, I said Ac'cent, there's additional ingredients, according to my bottle at home, in Ac'cent. It even says "meat tenderizer" on the bottle ~ or did on the last one. I just bought a new bottle and haven't looked to see if it's still there. It used to be their campaign in the 70s. You can also google Ac'cent Meat Tenderizer and several hits come up.

Here's an interesting link http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/2208.html

I use MSG in some things without a problem. My son works in a Japanese Hibachi restaurant and the new owner stopped using it so I have a large container in my pantry. It doesn't go in everything but I'll use it in place of salt sometimes if I want the flavor of the dish to come out instead of the salt.

Yeah, me too, I like to use some food with my MSG some times, otherwise it MSG strait, no food adedd. Ok, ok, of course I'm joking. But the last big article I red about it had all kind of information and proof that in fact MSG is not bad for us. I do not specificaly add any, but if some of the seasonings I use has some I have no problem with it.

Did you read the link I posted? You stated you had never "heard" of it as a tenderizer. I gave you a link where others had.

I did read your link. However I don't know who Alice is and I believe she is mistaken.

I would, however, believe that the manufacturer of the product would not hesitate to claim MSG's virtues as a meat tenderizer if it actually was effective as one.

Here's a link to a site that promotes MSG.

Adoph's is a meat tenderizer.

Accent is aflavor enhancer.

img_685540_0_5238e67b1672ae3596eee1236028d1d8.jpg

My bottle of Ac'cent lists one ingredient, Monosodium Glutamate.

My old bottle did, too. And it was sold with the powdered meat tenderizers, so I always thought it was also a tenderizer.

I'm allergic to it. Not a pretty sight. Also its a drug. It works by making your taste bud nerves fire. Food should taste good because it tasts good. Not because of drugs (brownies excludes - just joking).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom