Muffins without a muffin pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lorelei

Assistant Cook
Hi all!
I have a muffin mix and no pan...Do any of you master chefs out there have suggestions for how I could bake them anyway?

I do have a brownie pan and a cookie sheet.

Thanks! :)

Do you have ovenproof coffee or tea cups (not mugs)? How about ramekins?

You could make the mix and bake it in the brownie pan.

What about using pattycake/cupcake paper cases. Assuming you have them in your cupboard of course!:)

Do the paper one hold their shape with no pan to hold them up? I thought you needed the foil reinforced ones to bake cupcakes without a pan.

Just use 2 paper cases - one inside the other. The thickness keeps them the right shape, and you can just slip off and dispose of the outside case when they are cooked.

I've seen recipes in UK cookbooks and cooking mags that simply used two muffin wrapper cups. Though I've not tried this "free-style" (aka, not in a tin) method myself. Good luck with whatever you do try :) (One thought, if you have a loaf tin, you could probably make a loaf cake with your muffin batter...I know that I can do this with some of my muffin recipes like bluberry and banana.)

I've never tried it but, soup cans might work. I recall reading a depression-era recipe for a brown bread baked in a coffee can. I'm guessing, before the muffin tin was invented, people baked in several types of tin containers. If you're feeling creative, maybe add some tuna tins and build a sandcastle with different shapes. Just some tins for thought :)

mish said:
I've never tried it but, soup cans might work. I recall reading a depression-era recipe for a brown bread baked in a coffee can. I'm guessing, before the muffin tin was invented, people baked in several types of tin containers. If you're feeling creative, maybe add some tuna tins and build a sandcastle with different shapes. Just some tins for thought :)
That's a great idea mish! Though it's not a cooked dessert, I've made (British) summer pudding in a large soup can, and it works wonderfully :)

Piccolina said:
That's a great idea mish! Though it's not a cooked dessert, I've made (British) summer pudding in a large soup can, and it works wonderfully :)

Thanks, Piccolina. This might be a fun idea for kids too. Hmm, wonder if Goodweed is still giving cooking classes. :chef:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom