MUST I eat that again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
Every Christmas Eve, my M-I-L and her sis (who lives with her) have a Christmas Eve get-together. It's them, the sis' son's family (4) and my family (4).
The food is just horrid. really.
They make:
1. Frozen lasagna which is usually burned and dry with no hope of spices
ever touching it
2. Sausage & peppers (limp peppers, no seasoning except canned tomatoes and barely cooked sausage)
3. Their "special" Ambrosia (nothing more than orange jello, cool whip and a bag of coconut flakes and a bag of marshmallows)
4. Wine in a BOX
5. Salty pepperoni rolled in pillsbury crescent rolls
6. dinner rolls
7. canned corn, still a bit cold

I am "allowed" to bring the Christmas Cookies each year, so there are
usually 3-4 different recipes that I bring.
The sis' son's family can't cook to save their lives, so they bring nothing.
Needless to say, I eat a lot of bread and cookies on Christmas Eve.

I'm hoping someone else is subjected to the same holiday torment,
so we can commiserate.

EEEEWWWW sorry you have to endure....I'm sure you've offered to bring more than cookies - I think I would just show up with a couple dishes you know ya'll love and say - I had extra, hope you'll enjoy them - if they don't - at least you and your family will!!!! of course you could sabotage the stove on the 23rd...hehehehe

JRsTXDeb said:
of course you could sabotage the stove on the 23rd...hehehehe

funny you should mention that...it DID happen last year,
but they went to the front house and used that stove!
(*shucks*)

BLECH! That is HORRIBLE torment! Come to my house! We eat homemade perogies with full fat sour cream, crumbled bacon and fried onions. We also have the best kubassa I have ever tasted. We also have a TON of mulled wine, and for those who don't drink...sparkling cider. Just remember to wear clothes with an elastic waistband!

hahaha jeez how tres terrible. I dunno if i can ever remember a bad christmas dinner. I rember last year i had shrimp cocktail then some steak with mashed potatoes. Lastly cheesecake

tweedee said:
How about christmas dinner at your place and you can show them all how to cook :twisted: the right way. 8)

if ONLY!
They won't have it! It's their "once a year mandatory shin-dig"...
my brother-in-law hasn't been there in 3 years-
His excuse is that he moved too far away! (lucky guy!)

Sorry for your yearly torment. We used to go to the home of some devout[sp?] catholics and they only served fish and veggies. Dried out veggie lasagna, yucky fish and crackers. The only good dish was clam pie oyyyyyyyyyyy this stuff is to DIE FOR. It's a regional Long Island recipe and real good. Ask for the recipe and you shall recieve :D

actually, I'm not a seafood eater,
but, no doubt I'd be in it with a fork
if that were with m-i-l's meal!

Oh, and if you are reading, Barbara, this year,
I'm bringing a 2# box of See's!

jkath, simple solution, in additon to the cookies bring a couple gallons of Zombies!
You won't care. They won't care. Just call the taxi! :LOL:

:D
it kinda helps if you look at unwanted invitations and the meals that accompany them as annual duties.
i always think 'it's only a few hours. 2 hours and then we can leave.'

all i can say is take along some TUMS, a couple of aspirin, and a bottle of good wine.

LOL jkath! When I was a kid I hated lima beans.. erm, I still do. If I'm somewhere and they are being served, I'll torture myself to eat them, being curteous.

Maybe you could bring an antipasto plate this year. That should go over well.

And then, next fall, suggest it might be easier on the MIL if you brought the antipasto and maybe some other dish. And make the meal a buffet.

After all, it is unfair that the MIL has so much work to do in preparing the meal, when others can share the load. After all, she deserves to be able to relax at the party.

And all you are doing is bringing a little something to help out.

But of course you want to make her wonderful lasagna and the Ambrosia the centerpieces.

Put enough food in there you can eat, and no one will notice that you only took one tiny piece of the pasta. Particularly easy to do at a buffet.

And then look forward to the fine dinner you make on Christmas day.

jkath said:
Oh, and if you are reading, Barbara, this year,
I'm bringing a 2# box of See's!
That may be the only real "nutrition" you get! lol I got a See's catalog in the mail the other day. I can practically taste everything just looking at it!

:) Barbara

#1 - Polished Topaz - I would love that clam pie recipe - if you want you can just post it in the seafood and I'll find it - sounds GREAT!

jkath - my best advice is to take a dish that you can say you already had made or you wanted to experiment with something new this year. Whether it's a side dish or whatever. Just don't mention it. Oh, I know exactly what you are going through.

every year we have to go to his mother's house for thanksgiving. her turkey is dry her potatoes are lumpy her gravy tastes like flour and nothing has any seasonings on it EVER!!!
then we have to eat it again for christmas!!!!!!
all because his dad doesn't like ham... the nerve

Otter said:
jkath, simple solution, in additon to the cookies bring a couple gallons of Zombies!
You won't care. They won't care. Just call the taxi! :LOL:

Otter, you may be on to something.......

Aunt dot!!!!! I like the way you think!

Barbara! My son just brought home his fundraiser for Band: *SEE'S* !!!

Middie - I think our in-laws are from the same cookie cutter.

You all are making me feel so much better! And, long after this thread has passed, I'll let everyone know if I made it out alive.

Back
Top Bottom