Mustard Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Mustard Recipe
4 oz dry mustard (Coleman's makes a tin that comes in either 2 or 4 oz)
1 cup White vinegar

Mix these two well and let sit overnight.

Whip in -
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt

put in double boiler and cook until thick - you will need to stir constantly
and not heat it too fast or it gets lumpy. If you under cook it it will be
very runny.

Hey Raine, I thought you just mixed the dry stuff with vinegar, is that other stuff just for thickening purposes? I would like to try my hand a flavoured mustard too. My husband LOVES raspberry mustard, but it is $$$$! If you have a recipe for that I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Alix - Coleman's is a dry mustard. I guess maybe you don't have that brand where you are.

Rainee - have you actually made any mustard? Mine ALWAYS comes out with a funky texture - kind of grainy. I've tried several recipes and they all come out like this. Any suggestions?

We have never made any mustard. This recipe is from a bbq buddy.

We have a different bbq friend (lives in PA) who makes his own mustard, and it is really good. Good on everything. He makes some very nice wine too!

We do have Coleman's kitchenelf, I use some in my caesar salad dressing. I have never tried my hand at making mustard from the dry stuff, and would like to try raspberry mustard. So...if anyone has a recipe...bring it on.

I re-read your question Alix and I now know what you were saying - I read it as you thought the Coleman's was already prepared mustard - :?

I LOVE the raspberry mustard too - I'm going on a search for us!!!

Alix,

I did a Copernic search and found the following:

GRAINY RASPBERRY MUSTARD
Categories: Desserts
Yield: 20 servings

1/4 c Mustard seeds
2 ts Mustard powder
1/4 c Water
1/4 c Dry white wine
1/3 c Raspberry vinegar
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Raspberry jam,seedless

1. Whirl mustard seeds, mustard powder and water in blender 1 minute until coarsely pureed to paste. Let stand at room temperature at least 2 hours.
2. Combine mustard mixture, wine, vinegar and salt in top of small double boiler. Cook over boiling water, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return to blender. Add raspberry jam. Whirl until well mixed. Refrigerate in covered container at least overnight or up to 1 month.

Grainy Raspberry Mustard

1/4 c Mustard seeds
2 ts Mustard powder
1/4 c Water
1/4 c Dry white wine
1/3 c Raspberry vinegar
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 c Raspberry jam, seedless

Whirl mustard seeds, mustard powder and water in blender 1 minute until coarsely pureed to paste. Let stand at room temperature at least 2 hours. Combine mustard mixture, wine, vinegar and salt in top of small double boiler. Cook over boiling water, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Return to blender. Add raspberry jam. Whirl until well mixed. Refrigerate in covered container at least overnight or up to 1 month.

This site (where I got the 2nd recipe) has 116 mustard recipes:
http://www.melborponsti.com/inxmtd.html

RASPBERRY MUSTARD

1/2 c. fresh raspberries
1 tsp. honey
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar

Marinate 4 hours. Puree and strain. Add to this:

1 c tomato paste
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
6 1/2 oz Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat all ingredients until very thick.

Hope these help.

:) Barbara

Thanks Barbara! The first one looks doable...now I just have to talk Ken out of some of his coveted rasperry jam!

Back
Top Bottom