Mustard Seeds, black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
I did some online shopping and I didn't look carefully when I ordered and ended up with 500 grams -- that's a pound! -- of black mustard seeds (for my Indian cooking) .

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to use them up?

I just did a google and found several Indian recipes, which you are probably familiar with. I also found an article that says you can store them for up to a year in a dark, dry place. But, I also found an article that said the black mustard seed has a shorter shelf life than the regular.
One could try making mustard (the condiment) out of some of them, too.

I like to get 'em popping in a cast iron pan with sesame oil and drop in a nice piece of strong flavored fish like salmon.

One of the recipes I saw used the seeds as a coating, making a crust. I think it was fish. That sounds interesting.

One of the recipes I saw used the seeds as a coating, making a crust. I think it was fish. That sounds interesting.

That does sound interesting.

I was originally thinking about making a jar of mustard but I'm not sure how to go about doing it and what that kind of mustard would go with. Has anyone here ever tried making their own mustard?

Nothing happens to whole mustard seeds. They last for a long time if you keep it in a dark cold place. You can definitely powder it and mix it with water and add vinegar, spices, seasonings to your taste and you have mustard.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom