My (2) New Burger Secrets ... What Are Yours???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RAYT721

Senior Cook
Recently when making hamburgers for the grill, I either sprinkle them with Seasoned Salt OR I have also marinated them in Teriyaki marinade. Each of the tips make them quite tasty!!! (Note: I top the Teriyaki Burgers with grilled pineapple) ... Do you have any burger (or grill) secrets??? /rayt721

When making hamburgers;
I mix the meat with A little soy sauce, salt, pepper, liquid smoke, and just A dallop of steak sauce, and sometimes ketchup. I make this for my kids, otherwise I would add A big pinch of cayenne pepper to it. Cayenne pepper adds A whole new flavor to almost any food!
I don't smash the meat together when I mix it. Makes it tough.

I don't know where you get your hamburger from, but where I get mine, it doesn't come seasoned (I'm sooo sick of that Emril)!

Hey! You all beat me to this one. I was going to ask about great burger boosters. I usually make a little over one pound of ground sirloin (90% lean) for 4 burgers and add 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of each: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. I put them on a very hot skillet and turn them only once, about 5 minutes on each side. While you're cooking the burgers, throw in a few onion rings to cook until tender. I add the cayenne pepper at the end on mine cause the kids don't like them spicey. They're incredible! Any other burger booster ideas that are to die for?

Dina

We like to mix a little Obie Cue Beef & Brisket rub in the hamburgers.

Also adding some Jack Daniels wood chunks gives them nice flavor as well.

When I feel like making "special" burgers...ok they aren't that special here is what i do....

Pound of burger, seasoning salt, garlic cloves minced, onion chopped, oregano, egg, finely crushed crackers....mix together. When making your patties, take some shredded cheddar and stuff in the middle.....grill till done....add BBQ sauce if you wish.....and ENJOY

I firmly belive that its not what ya put in the burger, but what you put on top of it.
Sure.... one needs to put the right stuff in a burger, but the grade of meat and what is ON the burger is the turning point to me.
1.gif

Then you should try some of this on your burger.

chowgrp.jpg

Sushi, I agree completely. For us, burgers need to come from cows close by. We buy all our meat from 4H kids and let me tell you...the beef is beyond description. Tender and flavourful. When I make burgers I don't put much stuff into them. Sometimes I buzz an onion in the food processor to toss into the meat, but more often than not I just toss in an egg and call it done. I was chatting with someone last night and told her that I think I am a meat snob. :oops: Because I live in the heart of ranch country all my meat is very fresh and very good. We only ever "grill" our meat since to do otherwise would mean we had a crappy piece of beef or pork. So, to me...you don't need to add anything to burgers to make them yummy...just plain ole meat!

I tried doing the Lipton onion soup-burger recipe. Whoops! That didn't turn out so great! I've tried about a hundred different variations when building a burger but in the end I just like a burger with bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion ketchup and mustard. No pickles for me, too salty. :D

We bought a 4-H side of beef once. I am not joking, we could (and did) cut the steaks with a fork! Best beef we ever had.

:) Barbara

Alix said:
Best burger in the land too.
Definitely! It's funny, my family was pretty poor for awhile, and there was not much but cheap ground beef and hot dogs for a couple years (but boy, could my mom turn a scrawny amount of cheap meat into a feast!). When we got that great, grainfed side of beef, we ended up with so many steaks from it that we started craving hamburgers! I love steak and prime rib, but you can't beat a good hamburger.

P.S. Alix, you have been reading my mind! Two or three times this evening, I have started to reply to someone, only to discover that you had replied, saying word-for-word what I was going to say!!

Wow! Could it be telepathy with you and Alix, Barbara? :LOL: I want to know what a 4-H is? Duh...is it the quality of the meat?

Dina

Dina said:
Wow! Could it be telepathy with you and Alix, Barbara? :LOL: I want to know what a 4-H is? Duh...is it the quality of the meat?

Dina
4-H Club. Kind of like Future Farmers of America, I guess. They do service projects, etc., and some raise animals and show them at fairs, etc.

LIPTON ... YUCK

I agree with Damp Charcoal. I once had the Lipton Soup Mix and once WAS enough for that. The seasoning salt has been my favorite additive and grilling them medium-rare produces the juicy burger that I enjoy sinking my teeth into. I know, I know, meat should be well-done for health reasons but I just can't deal with dried out burgers. /rayt721

Eeek! Isn't there 4H in the US? Dina, the 4 H's stand for Head, Heart, Hands, Health. It is basically a youth group and some of the kids will raise a calf and then when it is old enough they will sell it to earn money for school or whatever. They have a show in early June usually and sell their hand raised calf. They have to do some work with it but I won't get into all that. ANYWAY...the meat is very fine, as the cattle are VERY pampered as a general rule, and you support a great cause.

Barbara, LOL! Glad to know we are on the same wavelength! Sorry to beat you to the punch reply wise, I will be quieter now! Loved your story about the puppies. How are the kittens BTW?

Got it, Alix. And we do have 4H here too. I just didn't know they called it 4H. So is the 4H meat better quality?

Dina

Back
Top Bottom