My catering gig today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
was a doozy.

First, this bitch I work with who I had hired to work the front table and slice the veggies and fruits calls me 3 hours before the gig and says
"I'm hung over, and I can't do the job."

Thanks.

So it's all on me....103 planned for, cooking 120 burgers and 120 dogs, plus potato salad, pasta salad and beans. Couldn't but the potato salad so had to make it myself. The only thing I could get from Sams was the slaw.

It's raining when I get there, and have to set up in a light rain, but then the sun comes out and I start cooking. Time to eat! It starts pouring, I mean I rained hard for a solid hour. I had my ez up which kept the food from getting too wet, but me and everyone else got soaked. Water everywhere, including my little fold up chair where I HAD LEFT MY PHONE! When I finally saw it, it had been sitting in about 3 inches of water for I don't know how long. No, it doesn't work.

Anyway, wveryone ate and liked it, I've got a headache, whipped and glad to be home. It doesn't seem fair that there's no football on tonight.

Oh and by the way, late Friday night when I was making all those freaking salads, my garbage disposal clogged up my sink!!!!

By the time I replace my phone and somehow fix my sink, I'll probably lose money!

"Oh wouldn't it, be loverly...."

What kind of grill do you have that can handle all the equipment?

Quite a story Cappy. Unfortunatly that's outdoor caterin'. I can picture myself sitting in the fold up chair at the end of the bad luck, and not even caring that my butt is three inches in water, my head in my hands, bent over and breathing deeply. Only a strong adult beverage will take the edge off.

Better luck next time.

Good Q!

Jack

You know, as I was sitting there in the 80 degree sunshine today cooking with Greg, Kloset, Smokein, and Uncle Bubba today, I kept thinkin,"Yeah this is all good! But, someday, you are going to be stuck out in these EZ UP's in a 50 mph wind driven rain! "Won't that be fun! Sorry Cap'n! Woody

It's deja vu all over again!

What Jack means is the last two times I've put up my tent, I've got soaked. Last time was Smoke on the Beach.

Is someone sending me a message? Hard to tell since my CELL PHONE DOESN'T WORK!!!!

Hey Capt. it will only make the sunshine cooks that much better! It only goes to show how good you must be to pull it off with crap weather like that!

Cappy, Next time you need an extra right hand, call me. I've never played golf out there yet. I mean I've never Q'd out there. Hell, why not kill 2 birdies with the same club. :!:

Mike, golf is definately in my plans this week, hopefully tomorrow. We've got over 100 courses within a 1 hour drive here. Bring yo clubs!

That's Catering Captain.Been there too many times my self.I would of killed my battery in my cell by calling the person who blew you off every 5 min.My favorite asked question at a cater is "What happens if it rains?" My reply "I get wet!" Sometimes you win,Sometimes you loose, Sometimes you get wet.

Hope your "hired help" wasn't our mutual friend. Sounds like you pulled it out despite all the disasters. Don't forget to PM me that recipe.

Well Capt., it looks like you pulled one out from deep to get that cook to work o.k. Good job.

The one I did on saturday began with me slicing off the tips of my thumb and pinky friday nite prepping the tomatoes (my typing sucks right now!). It didn't rain saturday, but it was about 90 out with no shade for the griller. I've got my telepathic plate prepper working with me and we we chuggin' along nice, in perfect harmony, even. So we're gettin' a little backed up with plates, cause I can grill faster than he can plate, so we figure that we'll get the orders we have goin' cleared off, and we'll start all over again. Well, the boss (his name was A-hole at this time) comes out and says "how come there's nothin' on the grill right now? I say "Vinny needs to catch up". So what does A-hole do? Fills the grill up (now this thing is an 8 burner La-Z-Man, so it holds quite a bit) with chicken and burgers, about 10 each. I came really close to hittin' with the edge of my spatula. Thanks for screwin' us up, I really like servin' cold burnt dry chicken, dick. Once he went away and we figured out how to get that served (since A-hole counted wrong so we ended up being short on the last big order), things went o.k. ended up doing about 50 chicken breasts, 50 cheezburgers, and a dozen or so hot dogs.....

Rob

That's a good one Rob. I had some Idiot throw a dozen or so veggie burgers on my rig one time when I was checking the buffet table.In the trash they went! The guy flipped, Too bad, So sad, The guy that was paying me thought it was funny too.Never had a veggie burger, Never will.And they sure as hell are not going to be cooked on my rig ever. :-X

Back
Top Bottom