My Guac is missing something!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WildOrchid310

Assistant Cook
Hello all :)

I recently decided to give making my own guacamole a try. I found a recipe that I like but it includes one thing I just can't get behind: sundried tomatoes ?. So naturally, I tried going along with the recipe (red and green onion, lime juice, salt and pepper, cilantro), and just leaving out the tomato. But there's something missing this way. Any suggestions for something that might add a little extra flavor, but that isn't a tomato ?? Looking forward to hearing what you think!

Funny you should ask. Yesterday my husband (Souschef) made the best I've ever eaten, and he's never made it before! He's very precise when he makes anything, unlike me. Here's his terrific recipe.

2 small ripe avocados
1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
1 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. red onion, minced
1 lg. jalapeno, seeded and deveined, minced
2 Tbs. cilantro leaves, finely chopped
1/2 small ripe tomato, seeds and pulp removed, chopped
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder

Last edited:
It's late at night here, and my eyes are not %100 at this time of the night, but it looks like there is no garlic mentioned in your ingredient list. And , to me, that would make all the difference in the world.

I always kinda wing it when making Guac, but the basic of all basic ingredients for me ( kinda like the base ) would be avocados, garlic, salt, lime ( personally I like lemon better, but lime is more traditional).

In addition to that, if I have the time and ingredients available, Ill had finely chopped onions, cilantro, chopped tomatoes , or sometimes just a spoon or two of already made chunky salsa ( in stead of the tomatoes and onions, since it basically has that anyway). On occasion Ill also sprinkle in some cumin powder.

In general, just about anything goes ( which is why there are so many varieties), but to answer your question, I think GARLIC will make all the difference in the world to your Guac. Usually I used one clove to one avocado as a general ratio rule. But after the taste test, I may add more. I also like my guac a little lumpy ( with some avocado chunks in it), but thats me.

Good Luck Sister, hope this helped.

Last edited:
Most guacamole recipes are too heavy on cilantro (tastes like bitter soap to me). I prefer my guacamole to have lots of chili powder and lime juice. Adding a shot of tequila is always interesting. Taking a couple of shots is also interesting.

My guacamole recipe is as follows:

• 3 avocados, 2 mashed, 1 rough chopped (I like it a little chunky)
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp red onion, minced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced (optional)
  • Juice of one lime
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
  • Pinch of ground cumin
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Now I'm hungry for guacamole!

Last edited:
Guacamole?

In most cases, I'm all for using up what's in the refrigerator, but my Guacamole is made with Hass avocados, lime juice, and salt.

Hello all :)

I recently decided to give making my own guacamole a try. I found a recipe that I like but it includes one thing I just can't get behind: sundried tomatoes ?. So naturally, I tried going along with the recipe (red and green onion, lime juice, salt and pepper, cilantro), and just leaving out the tomato. But there's something missing this way. Any suggestions for something that might add a little extra flavor, but that isn't a tomato ?? Looking forward to hearing what you think!

Do you not like sun-dried tomatoes, or any tomatoes? I use chopped Roma tomatoes in my guacamole.

It's late at night here, and my eyes are not %100 at this time of the night, but it looks like there is no garlic mentioned in your ingredient list. And , to me, that would make all the difference in the world.

Thanks for mentioning garlic. I have been making this without garlic and it has been great. But, now I know what it has been missing all along. GARLIC!

Do you not like sun-dried tomatoes, or any tomatoes? I use chopped Roma tomatoes in my guacamole.

I use whatever type we have on hand. Seeded and sometimes peeled.
The ones coming out of the garden have such thin skins, peeling is not always required. Saves a good bit of work as well.

I use whatever type we have on hand. Seeded and sometimes peeled.
The ones coming out of the garden have such thin skins, peeling is not always required. Saves a good bit of work as well.

I was asking the OP, who said they "couldn't get behind" sun-dried tomatoes.

I like Romas (or other paste tomatoes) because they have less moisture and seeds and more "meat." I never peel them for something like this. I mince them, so it doesn't bother me.

If I do want to peel tomatoes, I cut them in half and put them under the broiler, skin-side up, for 10 minutes. No boiling water or ice water bath needed and the skins come right off.

Last edited:
Lots of delicious looking but complicated recipes on this thread... mine is a bit easier and very delicious.

Avocados - fork mashed
Fresh squeezed lime juice
Fresh salsa from the grocery (the kind they sell in the cooler - do not used jarred).

salsa.jpg

Control the heat in the guacamole by selecting mild, medium or hot salsa.

The salsa will have all the onion, garlic and cilantro you need for great guacamole. :chef:

Tomatoes are okay generally speaking (I love marinara as much as the next girl) but for some reason I don't like tomatoes in guacamole. Sundried tomatoes, same deal. I've had them in pasta dishes etc and never batted an eye, but trying them in guac made me decide to leave them out when making my own. The general consensus here seems to be adding garlic, which I wasn't sure about when making it before. I'll definitely be adding some next round though ?.

We use avos, lime juice, peeled/seeded tomatoes, chopped pickled jalapeno, chopped garlic and onions, hot sauce to taste, as well as S and P, plus a small spoonful of mayo (NOT Miracle Whip).

Missus Dear Friend and I found this on one of expeditions

https://www.litehousefoods.com/products/guacamole-herb-blend

Easy and simply! Add your Avo how you like and whatever add ons you feel like
"Coming soon to a store near you!" is under the "Where to Buy" button, but it's at all of the stores near me. :w00t: I love their refrigerated salad dressings, available in the produce section by us. I also reuse the jars it comes in - nice size, and the foamish inner seal pops out easily and cleans up perfectly.

Now I need to hunt that down.

"Coming soon to a store near you!" is under the "Where to Buy" button, but it's at all of the stores near me. :w00t: I love their refrigerated salad dressings, available in the produce section by us. I also reuse the jars it comes in - nice size, and the foamish inner seal pops out easily and cleans up perfectly.

Now I need to hunt that down.

002.JPG
Right?!
I love this stuff, I always have a jar in the `fridge!!
Not sure how I like it best, dip or salad dressing? :yum:

2 medium avocados, peeled, pitted and diced
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic (one clove)
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeño (one, slivered, some seeds left in)
1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
4 teaspoons finely chopped white onion
Kosher salt
4 teaspoons lime juice ( one, 11/2,2 depends how juicy)
2 teaspoons chopped cilantro or to taste

This is our basic guac. Amounts vary. BIL loves garlic. He gets an individual size bowl all his own. Sub parsley if we know there are people who can not tolerate cilantro. Otherwise act innocent. BIL gets more cilantro to balance his garlicky guac.. Sometimes I shake some tabasco in. BIL does not tolerate heat, no salsa for him. If no juicy tomatoes, stir in some chunky salsa. Mostly we serve salsa alongside and put a little on each chip is fine. Double Dipping is fine if it's just the two of us. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom