My Story about Ramps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm checking for fiddleheads now (well, starting Sunday). We have them in the bush at the farm. They are in the stores...we also can get them frozen, New Brunswick is well-known for fiddleheads.

That does sound good.

I think it could be a fun way to forage throughout the year. Limit the prepared items to the dough, sauce and cheese then see what small quantities of things you can forage for toppings and maybe a salad. If you don't find any goodies to top your pizza with you can still have a plain cheese pizza when you return home from your expedition.

Thats not only a pizza , but a conversation piece. Id love to be able to find all those ingredients at the same time to try it. For me ( now) getting the fiddle heads would be the challenge.

If anybody wants to shell out the "dough" (haha) to make this pizza, look here

Oregon Mushrooms LLC

PF and I both have bought there, as mentioned in another thread, and they are a good, reliable vendor.

Oregon Mushrooms LLC

PF and I both have bought there, as mentioned in another thread, and they are a good, reliable vendor.

Ill definitely try it.
Ill just have to wait till I get back from Mississippi.
I don't want to order the stuff and have it sitting outside my front door rotting while Im away :ermm:

Oregon Mushrooms LLC

Except their ramps are trimmed of greenery and frozen, they have all the ingredients. I have never had a problem with purchases from Oregon Mushrooms, wonderful online experience.

Just a note re: wild asparagus--genetically, wild asparagus and cultivated are the same--if you don't have access to "wild" asparagus, I wouldn't spend the money on ordering it, I'd go with cultivated or getting it at a local "pick your own" farm. Often strawberry pick-your-own also have asparagus.

I prefer wild--but that is because there is an emotional attachment to the memories of stalking the wild asparagus with my dad, mom, brothers, and extended family. And the season coincided with the opening of walleye season in the spring.

Just a note re: wild asparagus--genetically, wild asparagus and cultivated are the same--if you don't have access to "wild" asparagus, I wouldn't spend the money on ordering it, I'd go with cultivated or getting it at a local "pick your own" farm. Often strawberry pick-your-own also have asparagus.

I prefer wild--but that is because there is an emotional attachment to the memories of stalking the wild asparagus with my dad, mom, brothers, and extended family. And the season coincided with the opening of walleye season in the spring.
I love asparagus but the season here is very short so I'm extravagant and eat as much of it as I can. The stuff that flies in from Peru for the rest of the year just doesn't hold a candle to the home grown stuff. Like some wine, I don't think asparagus travels well.

I tried growing some once. Gave up after 3 years when I was still only getting the fern. My last-but-one cat is buried where the asparagus bed was.

My secret vice is asparagus steamed over a pot of spaghetti, then cut into small lengths and tossed with lots of butter and a little garlic into the drained pasta.

Ive got some asparagus in the garden. Just poking their heads up ( saw the first one today). Hopefully they will still be coming up after I get back from Mississippi. Last year I had to move them. Not realizing how deep their roots go, so Im not sure what Im gonna get this year.

But, out east there is an " Asparagus tractor". They park the tractor ( bright green) on the side of the road, with bunches of asparagus for sale. They use the honor system. There is a cash box out there. Take a bunch of asparagus and leave your money in the box. Kinda cool that something like that still exists where I am.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom