Nanaimo Bars (mudbug take note)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
Bottom Layer:

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
5 tbsp cocoa
1 beaten egg
1 3/4 cup graham crumbs
3/4 fine coconut

Melt first three ingredients in either a double boiler or the microwave. Add the rest of the stuff and the egg and press into a 9x9 pan.

Second Layer:

1/2 cup melted butter
3 tbsp milk
2 tbsp custard powder
2 cups icing sugar

Stir these together until it is a yellowy paste. Pour over layer one and chill a bit to harden.

Third Layer:

5 squares semi sweet chocolate
2 tbsp butter

Melt and pour over other layers. Chill briefly to set.

These are VERY sweet and very rich. Eat at your own risk. Diabetics...AVOID.

"Rich" sure sounds like an understatement, Alix! Geez, I'd bet those are great!

Got to ask a potentially blonde question, which may well have already been answered elsewhere, but are these named after Nanaimo, BC?

Yes they are. I don't know who originally invented them, but my brother lives in Nanaimo, and the recipe is straight from his kitchen.

OH MY GOSH! I am so grateful I found this! I was having a panic attack trying to find it in my recipe box and its MISSING. I vaguely remembered posting it for Mudbug, and thank heavens I did. I think Madeleine and I will be making these today.

Alix said:
Oh, and yes...rich IS a HUGE understatement. But heck...I live to sin.
Apply directly to hips, do not pass "go," do not collect $200! :LOL:

OMG, these are so sinful! First time I ever had them, Nanaimo's most famous citizen was gifted with a box of them and passed them around, "ordering" everyone to eat them.... of course, we were "forced" to oblige! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I don't DARE make them, tho! there must be 3000 calories in each square! :ohmy:

You would have been covered Alix if you hadn't found your recipe - I have this also and love to make them for customers and eat just one or two!

June, I hear if you eat them standing up all the calories fall out! LOL! I don't even want to calculate the calorie count in one of these babies. They are a holiday staple though and they are nice and easy to make for a girl just starting her forays into the kitchen.

cjs, thank you for the info. I suspect you have a lot of recipes I might like. The next time I lose one I will make sure I post and ask for help.

(Oh, and FYI, I didn't get to making these today because it took my girl so long to get her lunch into her. Her face was still frozen from the dentist poor kid!)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom