Need a GOOD pizza dough....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tancowgirl2000

Head Chef
I have a hankering to make pizza tonight.....anyone have a good self rising dough that will remain soft? We dont much care for crispy crusts. Thanks ahead of time, for I know there will be atleast one reply......

For a large pizza (you can always use part of the dough for breadsticks, so making this much dough is a good thing :D );

Ingrediants;

3 cups AP or Bread flour

2 tsp. salt

three tbs. double acting baking powder ( this will allow it to rise as it bakes, while if you were using yeast, you would have to let the dough rise after it was spread onto the pizza pan).

1 tbs. sugar

1 tbs. garlic powder

1/2 cup EVOO

1 cup water

Mix dry ingrediants together. Add the remaining ingredants. Mix until the dough is smooth and elastic. Spread onto a lightly oiled pizza pan, or into a ten inch cast-iron frying pan. Cover with your sauce and toppings. Bake at 500 degrees for about fifteen minutes, ot until the crust is lightly browned.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Here is an original Julia Child recipe. I had shared this a long time back on the Food Network boards. I got this from a friend to went to the CIA. This along with a few others she gave are my truly prized possessions and it makes a terrific focaccia or pizza.

1/4 cup warm water
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 1/4 cups water at room temp
2 tbsp of sugar or honey
1 1/2 tbsp of olive oil
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
3/4 tsp of dried italian seasoning (optional but gives it a gourmet taste)
1 1/2 tsp salt
Olive oil for brushing

Place warm water in a mixing bowl stir in the yeast and let it stand for about 10 minutes. Stir in remaining water, honey/sugar and oil. Whish in 1 cup of flour, herbs and salt. Continue to mix flour 1/2 cup at a time. Knead until dough is satiny and smooth (this is key to making a good dough). Place it in an oiled bowl and cover and let it rise until doubled.

Roll dough to fit a sheet pan (I like to make them in a sheet pan, you can make a round as well). Brush dough with olive oil. Place your favorite toppings.

Bake in a preheated oven at 425 for 20 minutes or until done.

Goodweed, I'm trying out your pizza dough tonight. I figured since I have never made pizza dough before that yours looks like a good one to start with!

The pizza crust recipe I use for Grilled Pizza:

3/4 cup warm water (105-115F)

1 pkg yeast

1 tsp sugar

olive oil

2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp salt

Mix water, yeast and sugar in small bowl, let stand until foamy, blah, blah, blah, you all know the drill. Here's where it gets a wee bit tricky. After the whole process is done and the dough has been rolled out, make sure the dough has a light coating of olive oil all over. Over a medium flame place the dough and keep a close eye on it as it cooks quickly! Use tongs to check the bottom of the crust or if you're a manly man (which I am not) use your fingers. When the bottom is golden brown, carefully flip and add desired toppings IMMEDIATELY! There is a conventional wisdom that states that topping should be put on in reverse i.e cheese first, topping then sauce. In my experience, this is not the case. This pizza cooks very quickly but the finished product is awesome. The crust becomes crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. Enjoy!

If you try it, let me know how it turns out! I've made it with nothing more than feta and prosciutto as toppings. It's kinda salty, making it perfect with beer!

Got this from Martha's show, when she had the chef from 'Figs' on, who demo'ed this; it's a very moist dough, but also very yummy!

PIZZA DOUGH – FIGS RESTAURANT

¼ cup whole wheat flour
3 ½ cup white flour
2 tsp. yeast
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. oil

Mix ww flour, flour, yeast, salt, sugar, in mixer on low; gradually add oil and 1 1/3 cups lukewarm water. Knead on low 10 minutes. Divide into 4 balls, cover and rise 2 hours.

Goodweed, the pizza was a hit & the dough was sooo... easy!!! It went from being a ham & cheddar pizza to becoming a turkey-ranch pizza. The kids decided they wanted turkey on the pizza. Thanks for sharing! :D

Crewsk; First of all, I'm glad it turned out so well for you. And thank you.

If you have the time, I believe that a yeast risen dough is superior to the quickbread dough I gave you. It has a richer flavor. Look at some of the other posts for pizza. They are worth the time, if you have the time to let the dough rise. And, a good yeast risen pizza is amazing when cooked on a bbq wok, or bbq pizza pan, over hot charcoal, covered, and with the vents closed part way. Add a bit of wood to the fire for smokey flavor if you want, but not much wood. The smoke flavor can quickly overpower the pizza flavor. Just some food for thought.

But a good quickbread dough is versatile, and easy to make. It gives good results.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom